making voice calls to mobile

Wonder if any techines can answer this...some friends no longer have a landline, only a mobile. But it's quite expensive to call a mobile from a landline.
Is it any cheaper to call them from a mobile or should you call them using What's App or some other app...I think some people used Viber.

And can you call them from your computer?

Our situation is monopolizing. We have the triple package at home - cable tv, internet and landline. We hardly use the landline but if we drop it we lose the triple package rate.

From what I understand both landlines and mobiles have unlimited calls within the country, but mobile is the way to go for consistent free calls within a country, however, some landline rates will be charged if its out of the "free" calling code.

Does that make sense?

To make it easier, many people have discontinued their landlines and just use their mobile. To me, it's a changing of the times.

hmm maybe I should go on a plan instead of prepay if I want to use my mobile more than my landline for calling. Then apparently you get unlimited minutes.

I don't use my mobile much at all for calls, just use txts. Calls only for emergencies.

Sometimes it's annoying when older people can't seem to learn to use the new apps...and save money (and time)

This may be a stretch for going backward, but as I got older I only use my cell for calls, text, and GPS. Back in 2018 I downgraded and got a Kyocera flip phone. It didn't require software updates and always seemed to get a good signal.
My carrier gave my new flip phone to me for free and my rate dropped to $15.00 a month!

At first I really liked this new concept. At $15.00 a month it gave me unlimited calls and text. Problem was, texting took forever because each letter, number or character blinks for about 2 seconds before it displays allowing me to go to the next letter, number or character.

I'm not that old and lost patience and went back to using my iPhone. Now I get faster texting but we're paying alot more, again.

Wonder if any techines can answer this...some friends no longer have a landline, only a mobile. But it's quite expensive to call a mobile from a landline.
Is it any cheaper to call them from a mobile or should you call them using What's App or some other app...I think some people used Viber.

And can you call them from your computer?
it all depends on the plans my landline is unlimited long distance call waiting and caller i.d . my cell phone is un limited text and unlimited calls . in the states many have shut off the landline went strictly cell phone . i pay good sum of money for both i pay cell bill by the year

With my household its dad paying the monthly phone and internet bill in a package.
It started getting high as I didn't realise calling a mobile from a landline added up so much. My friend stopped having a landline and there was no other way to reach her - I didn't know if mobile to mobile calling was cheaper, as I hardly use it for calling. But landline to landline was free as we live in the same region. It only costs if it's a toll call. It was in lockdown we were calling everyday and doing the quiz. (to keep our sanity)

She's now said she can't get the app (or figure out how) and said if I want to call her just text her and she will call me back, as she has unlimited minutes on her phone. I think she pays like $40 a month. But our household is paying $70-80 a month for everything, but calls on top were adding up to $200!

This may be a stretch for going backward, but as I got older I only use my cell for calls, text, and GPS. Back in 2018 I downgraded and got a Kyocera flip phone. It didn't require software updates and always seemed to get a good signal.
My carrier gave my new flip phone to me for free and my rate dropped to $15.00 a month!

At first I really liked this new concept. At $15.00 a month it gave me unlimited calls and text. Problem was, texting took forever because each letter, number or character blinks for about 2 seconds before it displays allowing me to go to the next letter, number or character.

I'm not that old and lost patience and went back to using my iPhone. Now I get faster texting but we're paying alot more, again.
how bout using it for calls not text though.
Yes the old phones were a lot slower for texting haha though I got quite fast at it. though I always kept my texts short.

I didn't realise calling a mobile from a landline added up so much.
my plan is unlimited calling a cell phone or just long distance . my old plan was like that charged for every long distance call made . you really need check around in your country . plan may be different in the states

I've switched from prepay to a plan so I can make unlimited calls from mobile to mobile and texts so hopefully works out cheaper.
Don't use phone that much tho..

The plans offered to you are likely dependent on the regulations and tax structure in your location. I believe you live in New Zealand, which may have quite a different regulatory scheme so what happens here may not apply there.

For myself, we had a land line when we moved here about 8 years ago but when the snows come and the lines go down, we are a low priority for a fix.

So, we mobile for everything, but the company that services our wireless hotspot for internet is not the company that services our phones. It has to do with which frequencies and protocols each devices uses, and which providers support which frequencies & protocols.

All our devices (phone & hotspot) are on pay-as-you-go plans. We have unlimited phone plans (both talking and data). The provider for mobile does not offer unlimited data, but when the schools went to online learning and students needed internet, the price dropped significantly though the network sometimes gets overloaded.

The company we are with now does internet and phones.
Broadband was put in a couple of years ago. It's great, very fast. I live in the suburbs and not too far from shops and businesses on the main road so our connection is very good.

Free wifi hotspots are in all public libraries and have been for a decade. They were the first to get internet.

I don't know about all the worrying about 4G, 5G or cellular radiation..but everything can now be recorded, transmitted, listened to etc. Millenials grow up 'digital natives' and will know no other way of communicating.

is that what you look like when you watch too much tv (or play too many computer games?)
I tend to think ppl that do that are all hairy and pasty white from not getting much sun. They also have crooked necks and bags under their eyes, and their ears are all plugged up with gunk or those earbud things.
Yes, that’s me after 10 hours of 5G NetFlix.

Last edited:
I don't even know what 5G is

well, I don't know if the bill is any lower now on a plan, in fact, it seems higher. Maybe should just stop using the mobile phone. meh

I don't even know what 5G is

well, I don't know if the bill is any lower now on a plan, in fact, it seems higher. Maybe should just stop using the mobile phone. meh
Hi Lanolin;

5G is the latest and greatest upgrade generation in mobile network. This means if my old cell or electronic is 3G or 4G it won't be able to upgrade.

Don't confuse this with Gigabytes.

Whether 5G is costing more money on our bill, I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised.

To be honest, if we go back to flip phone it can work on 4G and 5G but eliminates the strain of "must haves" of owning a smartphone, getting hacked, missed calls, overloaded apps.

If you can be happy with making a call, though text keys are slow. If you can wait to text or email until you get home, then this is the way to go being cost effective.

Flip Phone! 1646692915034.png

A church member convinced me to buy his old smartphone, I didn't really want or need one.

Not that I blame him, but I wasn't actually going to buy a new one. I was using my old flip-phone until it broke. I think the smartphone is handy for GPS in the car but that's about it.
So, to those who don't have a landline anymore...too bad, I'm not going to be calling you anymore!

Your contract with the phone company won't change until you make a change to your phone plan, at least that's the way it's always been with me with regards to cell phones. If you're under some old plan that doesn't include 5G, you might need to change your plan at some point and that's when the plan price will change in one direction or the other... usually up but not always.

Your contract with the phone company won't change until you make a change to your phone plan, at least that's the way it's always been with me with regards to cell phones. If you're under some old plan that doesn't include 5G, you might need to change your plan at some point and that's when the plan price will change in one direction or the other... usually up but not always.

A church member convinced me to buy his old smartphone, I didn't really want or need one. Not that I blame him, but I wasn't actually going to buy a new one. I was using my old flip-phone until it broke. I think the smartphone is handy for GPS in the car but that's about it.
So, to those who don't have a landline anymore...too bad, I'm not going to be calling you anymore!

This made me think of my cell phone from the past. We were on a ferry coming back from Victoria Island to Vancouver B.C., it was about 8pm and the sun was still out and setting. It was beautiful picture perfect.

So I called my Dad who lives in San Diego (about 1,338 miles one way) on my Motorola flip phone and as I was on the top deck looking at the ocean and sky, the signal was crystal clear, no static whatsoever.

Now that was a good voice call to mobile.

Back