Many Will Be Purified

Tuesday, April 01, 2014, 10:16 a.m. – the Lord Jesus put in mind the song “He Reached Down.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Daniel 12 (NIV). http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel+12&version=NIV

A Time of Great Distress

“At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.

Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt. Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. But you, Daniel, roll up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge.”

…When the power of the holy people has been finally broken, all these things will be completed.”

I heard, but I did not understand. So I asked, “My lord, what will the outcome of all this be?”

He replied, “Go your way, Daniel, because the words are rolled up and sealed until the time of the end. Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand…

Overview of Chapters 11-12

The antichrist:
  • Will vent his fury against the holy covenant (new covenant relationship with God)
  • Will show favor to those who forsake the holy covenant (relationship with Christ)
  • His armed forces (false teachers, false church leaders and lying and deceptive government and military) will damage the temple fortress (gospel of Christ & our salvation) and will abolish the daily sacrifice (See Rom. 12:1-2; cf. Lu. 9:23-25)
  • They (false teachers and false church leaders, assisted by lying government) will set up the abomination that causes desolation (unrepentant and rebellious idolatry among God’s people, Christ’s church, which will warrant God’s divine judgment)
  • With flattery he will corrupt those who have violated the covenant (will corrupt those living in idolatry and spiritual adultery against God, via man’s philosophies and marketing schemes, man-made goals & visions, & false teaching/false gospel, etc.)
  • Will do as he pleases.
  • He will exalt and magnify himself above every god, and will say unheard-of things against the God of gods.
  • Will be successful until the time of wrath is completed
  • Will honor the god of fortresses
  • Will attack the mightiest fortresses with the help of a foreign god
  • Will greatly honor those who acknowledge him – he will make them rulers over many people and will distribute the land at a price
  • Will invade many countries and sweep through them like a flood & many will fall
  • He will also invade the Beautiful Land (holy land as symbol of Christ’s church)
  • Edom, Moab & the leaders of Ammon will be delivered from his hand – looks like modern-day Jordan and Saudi Arabia
  • Will extend his power over many countries, incl. Egypt, Libya and Sudan (2011/12)
  • Will set out in great rage to destroy and annihilate many (I believe most all of this listed above has been going on since Christ’s death and resurrection, to some degree, but that it has increased in severity and intensity in recent years)
  • Will come to his end

The saints of God:
  • The people who know their God will firmly resist the antichrist king
  • Those who are wise will instruct many
  • The faithful will be killed by sword or fire, captured and/or plundered
  • When they fall (are persecuted), they receive a little help, but will be joined by many who are not sincere in their faith (like spies or private police, perhaps)
  • They will face this persecution so that they may be refined, purified and made spotless until the time of the end
  • Everyone whose name has been written in the book of life will be delivered from or through the time of great distress
  • The dead in Christ will be raised to everlasting life (the other dead to shame and everlasting contempt)
  • Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.
  • When the power (willpower, rebellion, idolatry, & pride) of the holy people (Christ’s church) has been finally broken (humbled), all these things will be completed
  • Those who are wise will understand, but the wicked will not understand
Their Power Broken

When God comes to judge the earth and the people of the earth, he will also visit his adulterous and idolatrous church in judgment (See Rev. 2-3). In fact, I believe scripture teaches that judgment begins with the family of God. Many Old Testament prophets prophesied concerning God judging his adulterous people in the last days before his return, and for the purpose of refining them, purifying them and making them a holy people unto Him. Through divine judgment (correction/discipline/rebuke) the church will be revived, their pride and arrogance broken. They will repent of their evil ways, return to the Lord, and the gospel of Jesus Christ will spread throughout the world unlike any time ever before, I believe, and many will come to Christ and to salvation (See Isaiah 2). In this way, God will rescue his (and many) people out of the grip of Satan and his deceptions (deep waters).

He Reached Down / An Original Work / February 3, 2014

Based off Psalm 18

How I love You, Lord,
My Rock and my strength.
My God is my fortress;
I hide in Him.
He is my shield and the horn of
My salvation, whom I praise.
I have found my refuge in Him.

He reached down from heaven
And rescued me;
Drew me out of waters