Mat 8:28 — Mat 8:32

I thought I would challenge everyone to give their thoughts as to why God would tell Jesus to allow the demons to enter the herd of swine?
God bless

And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way. And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time? And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding. So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine. And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters.

Hi Cturtle,

Had a chuckle at Abdicate`s humour. Now my thought is - the Jews were not supposed to eat swine/pigs so it was not a food for them. They were considered unclean. Remember Peter being shown that vision - (Acts 10: 9 - 16) where Peter saw unclean animals & birds & said to the Lord that he had never eaten them. God told him to rise & kill & eat. Finally Peter comes to realise the interpretation of the vision that God was telling him that God is not partial.... (Acts 10: 34 & 35)

That was only to show you about the `unclean` animals. Leviticus also shows us the `unclean` animals, & swine is among them.

`...you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves:....the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. ` (Lev. 11: 4 & 7)

Hope that helps, sis. Marilyn.

Hi Cturtle,

Had a chuckle at Abdicate`s humour. Now my thought is - the Jews were not supposed to eat swine/pigs so it was not a food for them. They were considered unclean. Remember Peter being shown that vision - (Acts 10: 9 - 16) where Peter saw unclean animals & birds & said to the Lord that he had never eaten them. God told him to rise & kill & eat. Finally Peter comes to realise the interpretation of the vision that God was telling him that God is not partial.... (Acts 10: 34 & 35)

That was only to show you about the `unclean` animals. Leviticus also shows us the `unclean` animals, & swine is among them.

`...you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves:....the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. ` (Lev. 11: 4 & 7)

Those pigs were money. In fact they were big money to those folks. It was their lively hood and I believe Jesus was showing them that one man was worth more then all the pigs or their wealth.
God Bless

Hi Cturtle,

Thank you for the Scripture references Marilyn. Those are great.

As I was reminded of the story the other night, God also reminded me of the answer that He had showed me a few years ago. And i see that the fishcatcher has said it for me.

Thanks sister! :)
God bless

Last edited:
It is interesting that Jesus never told Peter to get out of the boat, as that was Peter's idea. "Lord if that be you, bid me to come". What was Jesus suppose to do, lie to Peter and tell him no its not me don't come? He simply said come. It was not Jesus's idea for the "devils" to go into the herd swine either, it was the devils idea.
If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.
Jesus simply told them to go. Of course it did stir up a roar as the whole town came out and wanted Jesus to leave their area. I guess they did not want there evil deeds to be discovered, and disturbed. Light has come into the world, but men love darkness more than light, because their deeds are evil.

It is interesting that Jesus never told Peter to get out of the boat, as that was Peter's idea. "Lord if that be you, bid me to come". What was Jesus suppose to do, lie to Peter and tell him no its not me don't come? He simply said come. It was not Jesus's idea for the "devils" to go into the herd swine either, it was the devils idea.
Jesus simply told them to go. Of course it did stir up a roar as the whole town came out and wanted Jesus to leave their area. I guess they did not want there evil deeds to be discovered, and disturbed. Light has come into the world, but men love darkness more than light, because their deeds are evil.

John 5:19
Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Both examples show that faith will permit the impossible! :)

I thought I would challenge everyone to give their thoughts as to why God would tell Jesus to allow the demons to enter the herd of swine?
God bless

And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way. And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time? And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding. So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine. And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters.
love this one, this is Good!

Hi Brother,
Please explain to me where there is two examples of faith in ccw's reply.
Peter one and I agree
Deamons cast into pigs? Faith?
Thanks Abdicate
James W
The demons know something we don't have information about, not written anyhow. They made a request of Jesus and He capitulated. Isn't it faith when we request things of God?

God bless

Please give the Scripture where God tells Jesus to do this? Thanks

Please give the Scripture where God tells Jesus to do this? Thanks

John 5:19
5:30a
14:10
15:4
In all of these verses Jesus says that He does nothing of Himself but only what the Father tells Him or shows Him. If He tells us that we must abide in the vine to bear fruit...the same is true of Jesus. For whomever has seen the Son has seen the Father. Jesus didn't just go around and do whatever He wanted.

God bless

An interesting point..
And one has to wonder why they were keeping pigs in the first place.
But as the body is the temple of God it has always been the desire to the devilto duplicate God,so as the worship of God is the highest for of service man can give to God so the devil desires to have man worship him and will offer "all the kingdoms of the world"to tempt man to do so and sell himself to do evil.
The serpent in the garden the embodiment of evil in an animal was all that he could get.
Judas the embodiment of treachery he got in the end because Judaism never allowed God to change him.
Peter for a moment became the mouthpiece of Satan almost tin the next breath after he was a mouthpiece of heaven.
The antichrist will be the final attempt who will be the embodiment of the devil.
The deliverance of the man the devil tried to thwart by sending the storm.that failed.
He could not stop the Lord diverting the man either.
It was not the time of their destruction so requested to enter the hrs of swine.
He let them.knowing their end.
The people of the village objected to the loss of the swine.
But it was the testimony of the delivered man that later opened the door to the Lord at another date when they received him gladly.

In christ
Gerald

Back