Materialism and Idolatry

Materialism and Idolatry

Habakkuk 2:9) Woe to him that coveteth an evil covetousness to his house, that he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the power of evil!

Can covetousness and lustfulness after the temporal things really benefit a person? A person can have all the material things in the world, that the world can offer and yet (Proverbs 11:4) states that “Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death.” One can have all the cars, the clothing, the remnant, and food to eat in huge quantities, but what will deliver?

Luke 12

18) And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

19) And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

20) But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

Everything that this man had was made into nothing the day God came to collect his soul and shall we be any different? Job 1:21) ..“Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” Notice “the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away”. We are entitled right to claim possessions, or so we think, but it is all God’s, every single thing is God’s. Ezekiel 18:4) “Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine” And David acknowledges all things were God’s when he said in 1 Chronicles 29:16) “O LORD our God, all this store that we have prepared to build thee an house for thine holy name cometh of thine hand, and is all thine own.” And do we think that we stand in a different light of comparison than David? All on this earth is God’s and is a potential distraction when we do not keep this in mind. When our mind fancies after the temporal substance, the non-spiritual things, what will not rust, what will not degenerate and break over time?

Matthew 6:20) “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal”, why, Matthew 6:21) “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Notice this, one cannot have their heart on earth and in heaven, meaning the heart longing for both and being successful, because an overcharge of the earthly possessions and riches and pleasures act as idols, which will result in one’s heart being taken from God and its affections placed off eternal direction.

Proverbs 17:24) Wisdom is before him that hath understanding; but the eyes of a fool are in the ends of the earth.

Luke 21:34) And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

1 John 5:21) Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

All things that get more affection and priority than God are idols and we know that idolaters will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9) Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1 Corinthians 6:10) Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Revelation 21:27) And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

And who are they that “defileth” and show their nakedness and shame, but of course they that submit to idolatry.

Matthew 6:20) “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal”, why, Matthew 6:21) “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Notice this, one cannot have their heart on earth and in heaven, meaning the heart longing for both and being successful, because an overcharge of the earthly possessions and riches and pleasures act as idols, which will result in one’s heart being taken from God and its affections placed off eternal direction

There is so much in your thread that is food for thought copper and you sure do pack it all in .

Yup ... That's why I think we focus too much on materialism in our countries and of course the media , TV and movie stars all project these things .

But we know that all this will pass away and we came form dust and to dust we will return. So why would we hang on to all this stuff and that is what it is "stuff ".?

As God has blessed us we are to use that blessing to pass it on to others who have not and not hoard for ourselves . Some one said . Do your treasures have you or do you have your treasures. ?

Well treasures also are our time and sacrifices we make in serving the Lord ... what we do for our church and what we do for our community in helping , serving and spreading the gospel is what will matter and all those things will be stored up in heaven where rust and thieves cannot enter.

Those are the kinds of treasures I desire to have .Treasures eternal in heaven.

Ephesians 5:5. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Colossians 3:5. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

Given that the Bible clearly states that Covetousness is Idolatry (God's words not mine) and we know that this world covets mostly material things. We can conclude that this world has an abundance of gods even though we claim (for the most part) to be monotheistic.

This explains why this country serves more to Debt (a covetousness need for more) than He who has paid the Debt (our savior). Until we serve the one and only true God, we will always be a debtor and have a desire for more, which does not satisfy.

Good Day and God Bless

Anything, any one more important than my relationship with God is idolatry! Period! Anything, any one, any decision I make that effects my relationship with God negatively is wrong in the eyes of the Lord. God gave everything, did everything to re-establish a relationship with us - let us honor that by living a life totally committed to Him putting God first in EVERY aspect of our life's! Blessings to you.
Albert

The question is not are we materialistic or Idolitrous, Because by our very nature we all are.

Being as we are "Falling" ,we each and every one are guilty to some degree of materialism, idolitry, lust, greed and several other actions bound to leave us far short of salvation.
No one can honestly say they have no desire for the material things of this world, never lusted, have never (to some degree) idolized something or someone.
Every one of us more often than not seek and aquire more than we realy need. We do it unconcously, out of habit and because of our very nature. Even in Christ we are conformed to some extent to the world.
Ask yourself. Do I realy need the big house, the newer car, the fancy dishes, the bigger TV, the latest cloths??? Or is all that our falling to the influence/temptation of the world toward materilism???

Idolitry?? There are times when we all fall to idolitry. Moments in time when our minds and hearts are fixated on some one or something to the extent of forsaking (at least temporarily) other things including Christ.

The questions then should be; To what extent are we falling to these two temptations???? And; At what point has either materialism or idolitry or any other temptation of this world so consumed our hearts and minds that we forsake permantly Christ Jesus?
The bad news is that we have very little by which to determine this by.
We cannot judge this by the world for the world has already for the most part forsaken Christ.
There is no line in the sand no (go /no go gage) that can assure us of the strength and permanance of our relationship with Christ and /or our salvation. No irrefutable evidence to which we can stand secure. No framework, ladder or system that can protect and ensure our relationship with Him. There is nothing we can do to prevent or make our relationship with Him eternal.

Each one has their weakness ,their point of no return, their thorn in the flesh. No two are alike ,in fact no one is what they were yesterday and will most assuridly be differant tomarrow. It is a path, a process, a walk with ups downs, side tracks dead ends temptations, dangers.

The good news???
We don't have to. He (that is Christ Jesus) has already done it. By his sacrifice we are made rightous, by His blood we are cleansed, By His grace we are forgiven, by His love we are secured.
Though we stumble and fall and cannot get up or stand up on our own HE and HE alone makes us stand by the faith.

The most dependible evidence of our individual relationship with Christ is it is on our mind and lips, in our actions and our concern for that relationship.

That we fear idolitry, materialism, and the many temptations and sins that separate us from Jesus is the best evidence that we have not fallen to them.

Those who are not of Jesus care nothing of Him. They have no fear and embrace their idolitry, relish in their materialism, take comfort and joy on ther life with no concern for eternal future.

Certianly those who are in Christ concern themselves with these things though we often only do so when we find that we have fallen to them.
Today I may fall to idolitry ,tomarrow you to lust, or another to materialism. No one is ammune from the temptations. In Christ we are not saved from them but saved through them.

Sincerely
His
Cliff

Back