Mathew 5:27-30

How do you understand this scripture? The following is my understanding.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 but I say unto you, that every one that looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye causes thee to stumble, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body be cast into hell.
Mat 5:30 And if thy right hand causes thee to stumble, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body go into hell.
It is unwise to say that this must be followed literally. This can leave many people with only one eye and one hand. Is it advisable to assume that this writing should be taken symbolically. Every one needs to practiced his eye to behold the good and to keep his heart from lust.
Kind regards

This is kind of a two fold piece of Scripture:

As the argument in verses 27 & 28 goes: Christ is not absolving the law-hH is further clarifying the perfection of the application of the law in Spirit. So in this sense we are 'set free' from the law if we are living and following Christ in Spirit.

Verses 29 & 30 I think are unquestionably taken as 'figurative' in this translation. Yes it would be rather inconvenient to remove a body part (which may be one of Christ's points here) and not many would have the will do actually follow through. BUT if there is a law/ commandment to do such to an individual-the individual loses his free will. I believe Christ did this intentionally to emphasize in a dramatic way our desperate need for a Savior. To highlight the price of sin that must be paid to be with the King in eternity.

John 18:
14 Now Caiaphas was he, which gave counsel to the Jews, that it was expedient that one man should die for the people.

As strange as it may sound, I have in fact known two people who took this word for word literal, one of which actually followed through. In both cases however, it was not an eye that was the culprit as they struggled with sexual lusts.

I read this as an illustration as it appears it was designed to illustrate a point. From the context of the writing, we could possibly interpret it as "cutting off" those that would teach falsely and cause others to stray, but I think we can apply this on a more personal level as well. God takes sin seriously, and so should we. So anything that is causing us to fall into temptation needs to be avoided just as seriously. It isn't wise to stray close to where we know temptation lies.

It's a hyperbole, an exaggeration to emphasize a point. The point being the seriousness of sin. This passage is Jesus fulfilling the role of judge and giving his interpretation and application of some of the Old Testament Law. When does one break the Commandment against adultery? It doesn't take the literal act but only the thought.

Matt 5:27-28 reminds me of Ray Comforts approach to street preaching. Its merely to make the point that no sin is acceptable to God. It hits home too as everyone has had immoral thoughts. It was a clever statement by Jesus. But these verses need to be read in light of more of Jesus's teachings and the rest of the NT. Like for example 2 Cor 3:18 and Matt 19:9 where He clearly means the act of adultery and not the thought.

Matt 5:28-29 is just telling us the importance of doing whatever it takes to get to heaven. Now this verse has to be read with verses like Matt 15:18. If someone should feel so guilty that they cut-off a body part....at least we know their repentance was sincere. Its honourable and stupid.

Matt 5:27-28 reminds me of Ray Comforts approach to street preaching. Its merely to make the point that no sin is acceptable to God. It hits home too as everyone has had immoral thoughts. It was a clever statement by Jesus. But these verses need to be read in light of more of Jesus's teachings and the rest of the NT. Like for example 2 Cor 3:18 and Matt 19:9 where He clearly means the act of adultery and not the thought.

Matt 5:28-29 is just telling us the importance of doing whatever it takes to get to heaven. Now this verse has to be read with verses like Matt 15:18. If someone should feel so guilty that they cut-off a body part....at least we know their repentance was sincere. Its honourable and stupid.

I don't know about sincere? In desperate need of salvation maybe-now that I can agree with! ;)

It's a hyperbole, an exaggeration to emphasize a point. The point being the seriousness of sin. This passage is Jesus fulfilling the role of judge and giving his interpretation and application of some of the Old Testament Law. When does one break the Commandment against adultery? It doesn't take the literal act but only the thought.

Excellant Jack.

Most men could say they have not committed adultry but NO man can say that he has not "lusted". Lust is what turns to adultry thus the reason for removing ones hand or eye and it is not to be taken literally.

Jack, would you agree that the point made by Jesus is that the source of lust comes from within the mind and heart of man not the physical organ itself. The eye and hand are not the problem.
IF...IF a man removed his right eye and did not fix his heart, all that would happen then is that he would lust with his left eye.

I am a literalist but God gave us all a brain to understand such things when they are presented.

All Scripture IMO is to be filtered through the eyes of literal understanding first.

Back