Matthew 11:07-12 Jesus Makes A Poem About Kings

In Matthew 11:07-12, Jesus creates a poem with two wordplays.
The first wordplay involves the terms “Cast About,” “King,” “Messenger,” and “Kingdom.” This wordplay symbolizes the contrast between kings and John the Baptist – the messenger. The terms “King” and “Messenger” are spelled similarly, however, Jesus emphasizes that even though they are spelled similarly the “Messenger” of the kingdom of Heaven is greater than an earthly “King.”
The second wordplay involves the terms “Noble” and “Greater.” This wordplay emphasizes that John is greater than those who wear noble clothes.
“Cast About” (מושלכת)
“King” (המלכים)
“Messenger” (מלאכי)
“Kingdom” (מלכות)
“Noble” (בגדים)
“Greater” (גדול)
7 As they went away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken {“Cast About” (מושלכת)} by the wind? 8 But what did you go out to see? A man in dainty {“Noble” (בגדים)} clothes? Indeed, those who wear dainty clothes are in kings’ {“King” (המלכים)} houses. 9 Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more {“Greater” (גדול)} than a prophet. 10 This is he of whom it is written:
‘Behold, I send my messenger {“Messenger” (מלאכי)} before your face,
who will prepare your way before you.’
11 Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater {“Greater” (גדול)} than John the Baptist. Yet he who is least in the kingdom {“Kingdom” (מלכות)} of heaven is greater than he. 12 From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom {“Kingdom” (מלכות)} of heaven has suffered violence, and men of violence take it by force.
J. Clontz – The Comprehensive New Testament

Back