Matthew 11:25-26

shineyourlight8

Sr Encourager Mod
Staff member
Senior Moderator
"Then Jesus prayed this prayer: 'O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank You for hiding the truth from those who think themselves so wise and clever, and for revealing it to the childlike. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way!'"

I'm wondering why God would want to hide the truth from certain people. I would think He would want to reveal it to everyone, and at the end, it says that it pleases God to do it.

What are your views on this?

God loves a humble heart. A proud man says I figured it out on my own. A broken man glorifies God for he knows it is only by God's power and mercy that it was revealed to the one with a childlike spirit. A child trusts in his Father with all his heart.

As Don alluded to, God works best in those who are willing to listen. The supposedly wise "hearing, do not understand" because being "wise" they interpret everything through their own knowledge, while the simple will just take what the Lord says at face value and not try to put their own spin on it. As God said "my strength is perfected in weakness". You will note, particularly when choosing Saints and Prophets, that God chooses the meek, mild, and occasionally the embarrassingly inept to do His work. They actually tend to listen to what He has to say.

"Then Jesus prayed this prayer: 'O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank You for hiding the truth from those who think themselves so wise and clever, and for revealing it to the childlike. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way!'"

I'm wondering why God would want to hide the truth from certain people. I would think He would want to reveal it to everyone, and at the end, it says that it pleases God to do it.

I agree with Don & Glomung. I would like to add that the verses you posted are the answer from Jesus to verses 20-24.

Notice verse 25............"At that time Jesus ANSWERED and said................

My understanding is that what Jesus answered was the responce to the circumstances described in verse 20-24 which is a teaching from the Master on the Biblical principle that there are differing degrees of punishment for those in Hell. (Verse 22).

Verse 24 is clear in that Sodom and Gomorrah were terrible places, BUT it will be more tolerable for them in the day of judgment than for those that heard the gospel mesage of Jesus and rejected Him.

Interesting. I took a completely different perspective of this. I noticed that in Matthew, we are shown cases where Jesus took specific jabs at the Pharisees. There are a few parables where we see this. In one version, the Pharisees confront Jesus and He uses the parable to show them how they are wrong, and in another we see Him actually proactively attack the Pharisee practices. In fact, when the disciples asked why He spoke in parables, He explained that it was to fulfill the Prophecies that stated that the Messiah would speak, and they would not understand. I read this as another jab at the Pharisees practices, where they would "own" the truth, but only give it to those who are "worthy". Jesus was saying that those that the Pharisees looked down on were much more worthy, and that it was the Pharisees that were fooled.

Interesting. I took a completely different perspective of this. I noticed that in Matthew, we are shown cases where Jesus took specific jabs at the Pharisees. There are a few parables where we see this. In one version, the Pharisees confront Jesus and He uses the parable to show them how they are wrong, and in another we see Him actually proactively attack the Pharisee practices. In fact, when the disciples asked why He spoke in parables, He explained that it was to fulfill the Prophecies that stated that the Messiah would speak, and they would not understand. I read this as another jab at the Pharisees practices, where they would "own" the truth, but only give it to those who are "worthy". Jesus was saying that those that the Pharisees looked down on were much more worthy, and that it was the Pharisees that were fooled.

That is what makes Bible study so gratifying. We can see different things in the same thing and both can be correct.

That is what makes Bible study so gratifying. We can see different things in the same thing and both can be correct.

Absolutely, I do not disagree with what you posted (or anyone else posted), it just wasn't how I read it when I looked at the verses.

Another way to look at it is that what seperates the goats from the sheep is what is in the heart, not what is in the head. The Lord knows everything we know and a whole lot more. The Lord can teach us the things we do not know. BUT what is in OUR heart - THAT only WE can bring to the relationship we will choose to have with the LORD. What is being tested and discerned is what is in our hearts, not what is in our heads.

It is not the purpose of the Lord to rid the world of evil hearts, otherwise He would not have exiled Satan and those angels that followed him HERE on the earth we currently live in. The purpose of the Lord is to rid the UNIVERSE of the evil in the hearts of those who are upon the earth. When the earth perishes from the universe those who have loved the righteousness of the Lord and despised and turned from the evil within their own hearts will be saved / rescued. Those who have rejected the righteousness of the Lord, preferring to live according to the evil in their own hearts will perish from the universe along with the earth and all on it.

The head acquires knowledge but it is the heart that choses what to do with it. You do not entrust power and knowledge to a heart still ruled by evil but to the heart that has chosen to be cleansed of evil. The Lord will choose those to whom He will give power and knowledge, AND He will choose those to whom He will give neither.

Ps 44:21 Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.

Jer 17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Jer 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Zep 1:12 And it shall come to pass at that time, that I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish the men that are settled on their lees: that say in their heart, The LORD will not do good, neither will he do evil.

Greetings in the name of Jesus; :)

" It is the glory of God to conceal a thing:but the honor of kings is to search out a matter. " Proverbs 25:2.

" the natural man receiveth not the things of the spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:14.

I do believe these verses are on thread and related to the topic...!

God bless all Christians in forum, and all those who use it.:)

Imagine walking in to your boss and saying "Hi, I've figured out a better way to run this company. Pull up a chair. Here's my plan."

Now imagine that you introduce to your fellow employees a system for getting the job done effectively, efficiently, and it is a real cost-saver. Your "team" explains the system to everyone employed there. Your boss notices big changes in employee enthusiasm. Word of efficient, effective, cost-saving procedures at your company spread. Other companies hear about it. It is difficult for your boss to stop the news being broadcast at junior colleges, colleges and universities, the Chamber of Commerce, and the business community in general. Your jealous boss tries to stop it, fires some folks, really disrupting things in the business world. He fails. He goes out of business. One particular employee named Paul starts his own company, hires all the people who got fired.

Imagine walking into the Temple Chief and saying "Hi, I've figured out a better way to run this temple. Pull up a chair. Here's my plan."

Now imagine that you introduce to a group of disciples to saving humankind, simple, straight-forward, a real life saver. Your disciples explain salvation to everyone, acquiring 70 new disciples. The Jewish hierarchy notices a big change in the people's enthusiasm. Word of this wonderful "program," salvation by grace through faith, spreads. Eventually, the non-Jewish communities hear about it. It is difficult for the Jewish hierarchy to stop the news being conveyed on the streets, in the assemblies, at the temple, and among the populace in general. The jealous Chief tries to stop it, kills some folks, really disrupting things in the Jewish world. He fails. He goes out of business. One particular disciple named Paul starts his own ministry, leads tons of folks to Jesus.

Greetings in the name of Jesus: :)

" Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk and drawn from the breasts." Isaiah 28:9.

" For with stamme3ring lip-s and another tongue will he speak to this people." Isaiah 28:11. " To whom he said, this is the rest wherewith ye may cause the wary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear." Isaiah 28:12.

I pray my words do not offend, God bless all Christians in forum, and all who use it. :)

Imagine walking in to your boss and saying "Hi, I've figured out a better way to run this company. Pull up a chair. Here's my plan."

Now imagine that you introduce to your fellow employees a system for getting the job done effectively, efficiently, and it is a real cost-saver. Your "team" explains the system to everyone employed there. Your boss notices big changes in employee enthusiasm. Word of efficient, effective, cost-saving procedures at your company spread. Other companies hear about it. It is difficult for your boss to stop the news being broadcast at junior colleges, colleges and universities, the Chamber of Commerce, and the business community in general. Your jealous boss tries to stop it, fires some folks, really disrupting things in the business world. He fails. He goes out of business. One particular employee named Paul starts his own company, hires all the people who got fired.

Imagine walking into the Temple Chief and saying "Hi, I've figured out a better way to run this temple. Pull up a chair. Here's my plan."

Now imagine that you introduce to a group of disciples to saving humankind, simple, straight-forward, a real life saver. Your disciples explain salvation to everyone, acquiring 70 new disciples. The Jewish hierarchy notices a big change in the people's enthusiasm. Word of this wonderful "program," salvation by grace through faith, spreads. Eventually, the non-Jewish communities hear about it. It is difficult for the Jewish hierarchy to stop the news being conveyed on the streets, in the assemblies, at the temple, and among the populace in general. The jealous Chief tries to stop it, kills some folks, really disrupting things in the Jewish world. He fails. He goes out of business. One particular disciple named Paul starts his own ministry, leads tons of folks to Jesus.

Not sure what you are getting at but imagine your boss walks in and says "I see you got my memo telling you my son is coming and I've put Him in charge of the whole company and yet I see you still bossing everybody around as if YOU own and run the company! Where is my BELOVED Son in whom I am well pleased? What have you done with Him?

But it is a parable Jesus has already told:-

Luke 20:9 Then began he to speak to the people this parable; A certain man planted a vineyard, and let it forth to husbandmen, and went into a far country for a long time. 10 And at the season he sent a servant to the husbandmen, that they should give him of the fruit of the vineyard: but the husbandmen beat him, and sent him away empty. 11 And again he sent another servant: and they beat him also, and entreated him shamefully, and sent him away empty. 12 And again he sent a third: and they wounded him also, and cast him out. 13 Then said the lord of the vineyard, What shall I do? I will send my beloved son: it may be they will reverence him when they see him. 14 But when the husbandmen saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, This is the heir: come, let us kill him, that the inheritance may be ours. 15 So they cast him out of the vineyard, and killed him. What therefore shall the lord of the vineyard do unto them? 16 He shall come and destroy these husbandmen, and shall give the vineyard to others. And when they heard it, they said, God forbid. 17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner? 18 Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder. 19 And the chief priests and the scribes the same hour sought to lay hands on him; and they feared the people: for they perceived that he had spoken this parable against them.

I've always loved this verse. It's just as relevant today as it was them.
The spirit of God is not something that requires a PHD or to be a head of a church. Often it's those guys who do not connect experientially through wisdom to the teachings. The humble, the meek, the average person who shares in the Grace of God understands it. Because it is straight forward.

Often times Bible-know it alls just want to confuse and confound things.

Back