Meaning Of Unequally Yoked

I have been studying the meaning of "unequally yoked" in 2 Cor 6:14 and would appreciate some input.

Most use this verse for not marrying or going into a permanent business commitment with an unbeliever. I wonder if the standard is even higher. If you look at the literal meaning of "unbeliever," it means "against faith" or "faithless." It is the same word Jesus uses to rebuke His disciples in Matt 17:16-17, Mark 9:19, and Luke 9:37-41 as being "faithless" after their conversion in John 2:11-22. If that is the case, then the verse commands not to be unequally yoked to the "faithless" which also includes Christians that are "faithless." So that the bright-line that Paul is exhorting in the summary verse 2 Cor 7:1 is: Does any yoking I commit to promote holiness ? If not, then do not do it.

Thoughts?

I have been studying the meaning of "unequally yoked" in 2 Cor 6:14 and would appreciate some input.

Most use this verse for not marrying or going into a permanent business commitment with an unbeliever. I wonder if the standard is even higher. If you look at the literal meaning of "unbeliever," it means "against faith" or "faithless." It is the same word Jesus uses to rebuke His disciples in Matt 17:16-17, Mark 9:19, and Luke 9:37-41 as being "faithless" after their conversion in John 2:11-22. If that is the case, then the verse commands not to be unequally yoked to the "faithless" which also includes Christians that are "faithless." So that the bright-line that Paul is exhorting in the summary verse 2 Cor 7:1 is: Does any yoking I commit to promote holiness ? If not, then do not do it.

Thoughts?
This is one of those difficult teachings that the Modern Pastors and Modern Evangelists know better than to touch. Reason? They build on numbers and they know, often, from experience, that this topic is divisive... as is Christianity, separating the Saved from the Lost Men. This is such a problem in the New Christian Church that I have been banned from several web site in the past few years for my stand on this, the Death Penalty and Marriage when they have been expressed.

You appear to be following and not quenching the spirit... may God bless you and yours.

Most use this verse for not marrying or going into a permanent business commitment with an unbeliever.

I wonder if the standard is even higher. If you look at the literal meaning of "unbeliever," it means "against faith" or "faithless." It is the same word Jesus uses to rebuke His disciples in Matt 17:16-17, Mark 9:19, and Luke 9:37-41 as being "faithless" after their conversion in John 2:11-22.

So that the bright-line that Paul is exhorting in the summary verse 2 Cor 7:1 is: Does any yoking I commit to promote holiness ? If not, then do not do it.

Thoughts?

Not being unequally yoked being related to marriage and business relationships makes sense, and not yoking with the "faithless" makes sense too.
But I've always asked myself, how to avoid ALL faithless people. (especially considering the fact that Jesus called his own disciples "faithless" )
I THINK that the apostle Paul meant that we should of course work together with people(because of love), but be "separated". He says in 2Co7:1 "let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."
Hope to see some responses here!

I find that in my short life experience; being unequally yoked applies in many ways. When it comes to the most intimate relationship-we are already unequally yoked to Christ-we aren't doing any of the work!

When it comes to marital relationships-you want someone with the same foundational beliefs and maturity level to walk together with as you learn and grow and support each other moving towards Christ (and eternity! :))

In business relationships you want to ensure you deal with businesses of good reputation to maintain the reputation of your business (so you don't become 'guilty by association' -or- unknowing accessories to wickedness).

As Christians we "fellowship" with each other-fellow Bible believing Christians.

As Christians we "minister" to the lost-because if we don't tell them about the Gospel; they are going to hell. Let them choose to reject the message; but we are called to witness to them: the rich, poor, beautiful, ugly, imprisoned, widowed, orphans....

In 2 Corinthians 6:14, Paul is not talking about general associations with non-believers, but coming under some kind of partnership. Yoke is a word associated with work, so to be yoked with someone means you work together to accomplish a task. To what extent this is taken can be a bit fuzzy.

Most of the believers in the early church were slaves, and I expect most of them had non-believing masters. They couldn't leave whenever they wanted. In general, we can quit our jobs when we want to (one exception being military service), so, I don't think this applies to working for an unsaved employer. But it may apply to other situations. For example, what if you owned a franchise business (fast-food, or whatever), and the main company decided all of its locations had to support something that was morally and biblically wrong. What would you do? Not being unequally yoked helps you avoid situations like that.

Back