Melissa Marr's "Wicked Lovely"

Melissa Marr's "Wicked Lovely"

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

(a review by me)

I had bought Wicked Lovely back in the mid-summer of 2008 while browsing the Young Adult section at Borders. I was rather bored and I decided to try something different, as I rarely have read any books on faeries. I think this was my first.

I was mildly interested, but bought the book anyways, even though it really did not captivate me and I found myself, on numerous occassions, wandering in thought.

Wicked Lovely is more of an urban, modern faery tale, so there isn't any castles or dungeons and dragons, but is set in a (undisclosed location, author says it is a mix of many cities) very inner-city like area - apartments, less trees and more wrought iron and sooty streets - not underprivileged, just not your typical suburbia.

We are introduced to Aislinn, a girl who can see the faery, along with her grandmother and her deceased mother, Moria. She is being stalked by a faery king, who believes she is the Summer Queen, etc. etc.

While the plot is rather interesting, Wicked Lovely lacks a finished quality and the characters are rather dull and uninteresting, but it appears Marr tried her best to make them rather appealing. It was rather disorganized and hard-to-follow in some places, with suspense, romance, and mystery thrown together into a difficult-to-swallow concotion. Aislinn, as the main character, never struck me as anything of interest, as she was overshadowed by secondary and other main characters (sadly).

If this is down your alley, by all means go and pick up the book. If you are looking for a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat, then this is not the book for you. Wicked Lovely tries but never holds your interest.

Overall, I give it three stars - for the fact that the plot, characters, settings, and all had so much potential. Yet, some things could have been explained better or even removed completely from the book.

Back