Mental illness and the church

Why does it seem that some churches not only fail accept that mental illness is physical diseases like diabetes or cancer but also "assume" that someone with mental illness must "need to get right with God"?

You're right with your observations. I read some place that at the end of 2019 there was about 36,000 different Christian groups/denominations around the world. Not all churches teach from God's Word, but make things up as they go along. They sometimes do that to make their church more attractive and to draw new members in from other churches, to get tithing money. When a church and administration fails to teach from God's Word, they sometimes don't have the ability to address some issues, including mental health. God has a special love for persons who struggle with many types of mental and physical problems. We remember Isaiah 41:10 "Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."

If we know a Christian who has a mental illness and is not being comforted by the teachings of their church, we can carefully suggest to them and their family that they might wish to find a church that will help them - in complete harmony with the psychological and medical help that they are already receiving.

Some people never receive healing after years of prayer.
Does that mean we are wrong or bad?
Nope...
I think this world is flawed and Illness is Gods way of letting us know that this flawed world is real.
God said it’s only appointed for man to live once. I kinda believe, looking at this world, that God knew we would run to Him in heaven after sin and never even want to come back in a physical body even if we could.

I am not sure..as people with physical illnesses also need to get right with God. EVERYONE needs to get right with God, whether they are healthy or ill.

Enigmadi;

I used to think getting right with god meant doing something.
But I could never figure out what I was doing wrong for Him to put right lol.

Now when I used Gods Word Like you do it seemed like I was just there With Him. Not like I needed to do anything. Like when Enoch walked with God.... he was With Him in the sense that God was just there.

That’s an eye opener for sure

I think 'right with God' just means you are forgiven. I don't know where people get that phrase from myself..just seems like a churchy kind of thing to say.

James 5:19-20
New International Version
19 My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth(A) and someone should bring that person back,(B) 20 remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save(C) them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

Enigmadi 😊

Why does it seem that some churches not only fail accept that mental illness is physical diseases like diabetes or cancer but also "assume" that someone with mental illness must "need to get right with God"?

That comes from certain Christian denominational teachings.

You see, if we "name something and claim something" say a physical healing of any kind, whether it be cancer or mental or diabetes, and that person is NOT healed.....then it has to be YOUR fault because God can not do anything wrong.

"You" simply did not have enough faith SO THE FAULT IS YOURS NOT Gods.

I can not tell you how many people I have sat with and held their hand and cried with them because their child died and someone told them that "They did not have enough faith" so as to motivate God to do what that wanted.

It is therefore a lack of correct Biblical teaching which leads to such an action.

If you think about it for a moment, you wiil see that this kind of thing is actually "FAITH IN FAITH". That is actually Idolatry!

Faith is NOT some kind of power that we can tap into and get what we want from God by asking Him like Luke Skywalker did in Star Wars.

Sounds like WOF or Christian Science teachings...both seem to come from certain US sects. I think it maybe because they are reading some weird translations of the Bible or they are ones that are missing a few chapters..?!

I disagree, i am mental ill. When i dont take medication, it is very very bad. I hear voices. I absolutely love and cherish God. I thank him in good times and in bad times. Bad times will come, illnesses will happen, this shows just how fair God is and that he does favour anyone more than anyone else. Even atheists, are loved by God, and he allows them to progress in their lives despite being unbelieving. Mental health is important and over time it dos get better, my issues were no where near as bad as they were in the beginning.

Back