Mind Your Own Business

Wadding my way through social media this morning, I came across a post that exemplifies what many people feel in regards to varying issues our country faces today; I'm referring to the notion of 'mind your own business'. Here is just one example:

"...I am for humanity. I am for kindness, and compassion, I am for minding your own business [my emphasis added], and tending your own life instead of putting so much energy into what is or isn't right for others. I am for collective consciousness in which we recognize each other as beautiful and courageous and messed up and broken and doing the best we can, without having to prove who has it worse, who is more right in being offended, who is better, or more knowledgeable or more entitled to respect, or preferential treatment..."

Given this stance and making one adhere to this stance who sincerely believes it; I ask that they not exercise their right to vote and encourage people who run for government (or other positions) to cease running. Why would I ask that? When representatives run for government, they are making it their business to presume they know what the public wants based on its own business. What happens is, politicians take a handful of like-minded business from voters who want to see their own business become law/be heard, and lump them into an ideology which in turn forms political parties. Those parties then make it their business to presume said business is best for the entire country, all for whom cannot have an opinion because they are to mind their own business.

Can anyone else see how silly it would be if we all minded our own business?

Have any of you been told to "mind your own business"?

I dare say a lot of us get told to mind our own business; sometimes people cannot recognize compassion.
As Christians, we want to be voices of compassion, however if people don't want to hear us, they simply say, "mind your own business"!
Good thread Brian. (y)

I seem to observe a pattern where a Christian belief or value, have a corresponding counterpart with Humanism….that is: Human reasoning in a way without Divine guidance… that is: Humanism values as well : Forgiveness, kindness, charity, etc...

Although it is bound to fail though as Jesus says:
John 15:5New King James Version (NKJV)
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

Regarding the phrase, I google, and interesting there is bible verse that mentions it, and Wikipedia : ) got a good explanation I seem to agree: that is: it means "manage yourself well"

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12New King James Version (NKJV)
11 that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you, 12 that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_your_own_business#Origin
Most modern theologians don't believe that the phrase "Mind your own business" is of direct biblical derivation,[citation needed], though something similar appears in the where St. Paul tells the church of Thessaloniki about this manner of living in his instructions as a way of Christian life (I Thessalonians 4:11). The Greek phrase is πράσσειν τὰ ἴδια which translates as "manage yourself".[1]

I don't think I was told to mind my own business...though I was told worse a number of times by people -- it often included a four-letter word (as I'm sure I'm not the only one).

Over the past few days, I was called a bigot, a homophobe, a Nazi, an idiot, and (this is my favorite) a racist. Of course, when I shared a link from Live Action regarding the saving of children from mothers who opted not to abort and to have the children, that was the nail over the coffin for some people. "Ugh, you're pro-life too? Un-friend."

It's ironic that minding one's own business only works when it speaks to their comfort and convenience. Of course we can overstep into the life of someone else and even end it entirely provided that life is very young and small and underdeveloped.

It has been about six months since my wife and I lost our first child through a miscarriage. While we know we will grow our family and establish a home dedicated to God, the last few days has been a mockery of our entire vocation as a family. Whether it be a mockery of the sacrament of marriage or a downplaying that what my wife and I lost wasn't really anything -- it may as well have been an appendix and our loss was really only something we made up in our minds.

A very difficult past few days indeed.

They usually use a less polite set of words to convey the message.
I am well known for speaking my mind on any and every subject, so like others here, I often get quite a bit of hate thrown my way.
But, as I say, the worth of a man can best be measured by the enemies he makes.

I don't think I was told to mind my own business...though I was told worse a number of times by people -- it often included a four-letter word (as I'm sure I'm not the only one).

Over the past few days, I was called a bigot, a homophobe, a Nazi, an idiot, and (this is my favorite) a racist. Of course, when I shared a link from Live Action regarding the saving of children from mothers who opted not to abort and to have the children, that was the nail over the coffin for some people. "Ugh, you're pro-life too? Un-friend."

It's ironic that minding one's own business only works when it speaks to their comfort and convenience. Of course we can overstep into the life of someone else and even end it entirely provided that life is very young and small and underdeveloped.

It has been about six months since my wife and I lost our first child through a miscarriage. While we know we will grow our family and establish a home dedicated to God, the last few days has been a mockery of our entire vocation as a family. Whether it be a mockery of the sacrament of marriage or a downplaying that what my wife and I lost wasn't really anything -- it may as well have been an appendix and our loss was really only something we made up in our minds.

Been their and done that as well. But you know what my brother, now I laugh, look up and praise God because it is then that I know I have made God happy!

My goal in life these past several years has been to please God in what I say and do and in response He has blessed me more now than at anytime in my life.

Been their and done that as well. But you know what my brother, now I laugh, look up and praise God because it is then that I know I have made God happy!

My goal in life these past several years has been to please God in what I say and do and in response He has blessed me more now than at anytime in my life.

That's the best goal we could have.

Can anyone else see how silly it would be if we all minded our own business?

Have any of you been told to "mind your own business"?

"Mind your own business" can be a pretty reasonable sentiment in a lot of situations, but it's also what people tend to say when they're being confronted with doing the wrong thing. A "mind your own business" society can be a society rife with injustice, and filled with bystanders who let it happen.

Jim and i are sorry for your loss and will be praying! Your words about how your house will be is most encouraging and heart felt!
Blessings

I can't say from experience I know how you're feeling. But I know how it feels to loose children through a divorce.
I will be praying for your comfort and strength. God loves you both and so do i.

Back