Mission trips

Well, I saw some women cutting something in a field, with a baby in tow. And they may cut or gather the firewood needed to cook their dinner and probably kill, de-feather and cut up the chickens they may be eating or gather plantains, etc. It is definitely not like reaching in the refrigerator to gather semi-prepared (butchered) cuts of meat for a meal. I regret that I didn't have the chance to look in one of the houses. And I didn't stay in one as they are very small as you may have seen in some of the pictures. Regarding the song, it was nearly two years ago and it was a song that I didn't recognize the title and don't remember even today the title. Amazing Grace would have been the easier choice.

Most of the churches in my area have scheduled services and you can spot them on line if you are unfamiliar with the service. I don't recall seeing any bells on the Christian churches in Ghana, since many of the congregation lives a good distance away and can't quickly respond to a bell. Plans have to be made to travel. I don't know why the muslims have call to prayer, as it would seem like they would have scheduled services as well. Maybe it is to attract others who do not already belong to that respective Mosque.

Im glad we have refrigerators it must be harder to live without one.
But the plus side your food is fresh and in season.
Fridges are a recent invention..i think they became popular in the 50s? And now its all computers.
What other technology did you have to go without?

The pastor's house had electricity and water. But you only drank bottled water. Rainwater was gathered on the roof and gravity fed. So, showers consisted of turning on the water to get wet. Turn it off soap and shampoo up and turn the water back on to rinse off. Toilets used the yellow let mellow and brown goes down rule. In villages, most had a pump somewhere in the village where they could pump water in a bucket and carry it to their home. Some may have had pumps a good distance away. Toilets were basically a hole in the ground with a structure over it that gets moved periodically and the holes filled. Most villages didn't have electricity. We took generators to run our soundboard and speakers and lights. Obviously, no air conditioning. Open windows with screens on houses that had windows at all.

Did their pastor have his own generator or something? Or was his house in a village that had electricity?
Sorry. im not familiar with soundboard...what does that actually do? Could you not preach without one? Did you preach at night as that why you needed lights?

You sure have a lot of questions. Not sure this benefits the group, but a sound board in this instance is a powered mixing board, which is like a PA system that you plug microphones into and it powers the speakers. It was used to play some church music that helps everyone in the village know something is going on and then would be used with microphones so everyone could hear. A picture of the sound board can be found at: http://kelcom.zenfolio.com/ghana2013/h621a61bd#h6573379d and yes we worked into the night and needed light as can be illustrated with a light pole we constructed in the villages where we held out meetings: http://kelcom.zenfolio.com/ghana2013/h621a61bd#h63f47abf. We held some meetings at night so as to include some of the men who were working during the day. The temps were in the 80s F. and yes it was dusty in heavily trafficed areas, but had dense vegetation in areas not so traveled. What country are you from?

The pastor lived in a house in Obuasi that had electricity.

Still send her stuff like childrens bibles and cassettes etc and gifts but had to stop sponsorship as dont have regular income anymore.

They subsitent farmers. I think..its a simple life but some african countries are in so much debt to other nations and torn by strife that the children dont even have the basics.

One more question..did you give out Bibles in their language?

I recall some missionaries said they used flip charts, and also showed Jesus movie using a projector and a sheet...or those wind up radio things that could play the gospel in audio and didn't need electricity.

I almost sent my 2 older kids on a youth mission some years ago. I was concerned about their safety rather than trusting the Lord on the matter and wound up not letting them go. I do believe I missed a great opportunity to introduce them to the great work taking place in the mission field and, if given the chance to do that again, would most certainly send them.

Why is it people send their children? My parents would never allow me cos they arent christian, so I'd never be able to go :-(

I only go overseas if I know someone I'd like to visit, like family. Or with a trusted friend. But that isnt mission trip, just a holiday break.

Its really expensive to go. And the Lord needs me here. One time this church girl asked me to come to Pakistan with her, to see her family and visit churches, but I got scammed and also she went against govt warnings. She and I not friends not in fellowship anymore, sad to say. She got very mad at me when said I couldnt go. I lost money as the tickets non refundable. So...cant go anywhere. When mum found out she was concerned for my safety. But it was church girl and travel agent who booked the ticket for me not giving me any time to think about it. I dont even know any pakistan language.

There will be other opportunites for your children...but if you that concerned you ought to go with them like Kelcom did. Having that blessing is very important. God then would have shown you as well what happens when you trust Him.

Back