MLK Day

MLK Day

Last week they celebrated MLK day. How well I remember the first time they celebrated it - the day he was shot - April 4th 1968. I was at work and the first I heard of it was when the supervisor came out and told us to shut the plastic bottle making machinery down where I worked in New Castle, Delaware and go home. This was a plant that never shut down except at Christmas for a couple days. While driving home I looked toward Wilmington and saw thick clouds of black smoke rising from the City. It seemed to be starkly unreal what was happening - unbelievable. On the way home I passed my reserve unit and all of the cars were in - our unit had been called up by the governor.

We spent a couple of weeks in Downtown Wilmington directing traffic and keeping the looting down, which was really rampant when this all started. Upon arriving downtown in trucks - they had us fall out on the streets in front of the public (Black district) and lock and load our weapons. This was psychological because it terrorized the community. What is more dangerous than a nervous 20 year old reservist with a loaded semi-automatic weapon? The articles of engagment were short and to the point. If fired upon - by a sniper - shoot to kill. If you see anyone with a molotov cocktail - lit or not - shoot to kill. They didn't mess around back in those days. Throughout this crisis only one person was shot and killed by a reservist.

Listened to the CB radio - which was really big in Delaware back in 1968 - about all of the looting and fires being set in the city. Wilmington was in a total state of anarchy. There were endless stores that had been totally looted and destroyed. This is what I meant by the first celebration - a free shopping spree. Take all you can carry.

My question is - what if something really serious happened like an economic collapse today? What would happen then? With the popular "we're entitled" and "we're owed" mentality so prevelant today I can't imagine what these people would do. Don't want to even think about it.

MLK day is not a day of celebration for me. The violence and anarchy back then overshadowed everything good that he did or was trying to do in my perspective.

Larry II

Larry,
what bad memories for you.
Thanks for the story~

Actually, remember what happened in LA a few years back?
People were standing up against police brutality and it was a serious riot.
So many business owners suffered from the looting~

Where is the justification in their minds?

Larry II - at that time, I was a Radar Systems Engineer for an aerospace company near what was then, Friendship International Airport just southwest of Baltimore. I was also a volunteer firefighter in our local community. We were called into the City of Baltimore on a mutual aid run to assist at a warehouse arson fire. Just as we were arriving, the firefighter on the other side of the crew cab in our American La France engine, was shot in the neck by an 'urban terrorist' rioter. Evidently, he didn't want us to put out the fire that he was helping to keep going. A Baltimore City cop riding with us for security returned fire and wounded the perp. Our firefighter spent 9 weeks in the hospital and had permanent injuries and several mobility issues. The perp was convicted of first degree attempted homicide and is spending the rest of his life in the slammer.

You mentioned the 'entitlement' situation.... if the Hurricane Katrina fiasco is any indication of how things in politically created entitlement areas is going to be, just be ready for anything and do whatever is necessary under THOSE circumstances to keep you and your family safe from those who would destroy and kill without hesitation and without any sense of right or wrong.

To honor a man of peace with violence is insane. L MLK had a lot of guts and I respect his stand for what is right.

Larry II - at that time, I was a Radar Systems Engineer for an aerospace company near what was then, Friendship International Airport just southwest of Baltimore. I was also a volunteer firefighter in our local community. We were called into the City of Baltimore on a mutual aid run to assist at a warehouse arson fire. Just as we were arriving, the firefighter on the other side of the crew cab in our American La France engine, was shot in the neck by an 'urban terrorist' rioter. Evidently, he didn't want us to put out the fire that he was helping to keep going. A Baltimore City cop riding with us for security returned fire and wounded the perp. Our firefighter spent 9 weeks in the hospital and had permanent injuries and several mobility issues. The perp was convicted of first degree attempted homicide and is spending the rest of his life in the slammer.

You mentioned the 'entitlement' situation.... if the Hurricane Katrina fiasco is any indication of how things in politically created entitlement areas is going to be, just be ready for anything and do whatever is necessary under THOSE circumstances to keep you and your family safe from those who would destroy and kill without hesitation and without any sense of right or wrong.

Dear pastor Gary,
Yes, the firemen didn't have anything to return fire with like we did. You were more vulnerable to sniper fire than we were - being armed. Sounds like your memories weren't very pleasant of that time also. Like Larry said - MLK was a peaceful guy; and it is a shame that his followers didn't share his paradigm of life. It is a double shame that his successors only use his movment to shake down organizations for contributions and trade their influence for political power. They have completely turned the civil rights movement into a money making machine.

But the bottom line is that violence and bloodshed really work in the political arena. I would say that the "Juice" is free today because of the fear of violence in LA. I think the city fathers loaded up the jury pool with minorities - especially blacks - as to avoid a conviction, which would trigger violence on a scale of the "Rodney King" uprising. There were 53 deaths, 3,600 fires set, a billion dollars in damages, 2,000 injured and 10,000 arrested. The city fathers didn't want a repeat of this if Juice was convicted. Was it worth letting Juice go? You be the judge.

BTW - I never have sorted out the Passover/ crucifixion timetable - no one seems to know what happened in a way that accounts for all the facts. I read Edersheim on the subject last week and still don't know. Next is the Mishna - but I haven't given up yet. Looking for a solution that allows three full days and accounts for the "High Sabbath" comment by John - that I missed somehow. Nothing new as I'm accustomed to throwing out viewpoints that don't work. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Larry II

Back