Modesty

Are women supposed to dress modestly? Is it wrong for a woman to dress immodestly? Does the responsibility lie with the woman? With the man who should control his thoughts? Does it lie with both the man and the woman? I have come to my own conclusion. What do you think?

1 Timothy 2:

1 Timothy 2
King James Version (KJV)

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Hi Sweat Pea, (luv your avatar). What Paul would have thought was modest apparel is likely not what we today would call 'modest' apparel......it all depends on the cultural standards of the time. But...... I'm seeing in Paul's instructions here not so much a 'keep it covered up' exhortation as such, rather an exhortation to dress simply (I think that is what he means by modest). A woman dressed in a really elegant dress that covers from neck to toe finished off with a complimenting coiffure could be more of a 'show stopper' than a woman dressed in a skimpy mini skirt and top cut so low that she looks like she will fall out of it any minute.
I think the bottom line here would be; do not dress to be either a distraction or a focal point. Neither lustful looks nor disdainful looks should be the aim of a womans dress habits.
Women should dress tastefully but not extravagantly. BTW so should men!
BTW,this here male dislikes seeing women walking around showing their bra straps and even sometimes their bra cups due to ill fitting cloths. The sight of a bit of underwear does not arouse me, it just looks very poorly thought out....it tells me that the woman just doesn't care how she presents. So I think that is immodest in the sense that it shows a lack of personal self respect......something I believe Paul would be concerned about.

Last edited:
Are women supposed to dress modestly? Is it wrong for a woman to dress immodestly? Does the responsibility lie with the woman? With the man who should control his thoughts? Does it lie with both the man and the woman? I have come to my own conclusion. What do you think?

In Church and other events and church activity, Absolutely.

I hear many women say "well the man should not be such a pervert, its his problem not mine how I dress". This is disgraceful attitude to be honest. People should be able to attend church regardless of thier additions and problems without being given the fuel to let thier mind wonder and to give in to thier problems. A woman showing off half her cleavage, or a skirt that's just a few inches away from revealing buttocks and underwear, then that is wrong, wearing anything which invites someone to peek or gawp at the body is wrong in church environment.

Swimming pool or beach is another story, as if the Christian man has a problem with lusting after women, then it is own decision to seek these places out, where as church he is going to worship God and therefore should not be put in such a dilemma or position by other members of the congregation.

Something that does not reveal the form of the woman is ok. The principal, which is timeless and never cultural, is that we glorify God and not ourselves. And much of what we wear is preaching an unspoken sermon. The question we simply have to ask when we pick out our clothing or in anything we do, does it bring glory to God or reproach as His representatives to a dying world? 1 cor 10:31 Adornment, which would be jewelery and makeup is not required and woman do not need to it to look beautiful. One of the biggest lies Satan has ever told.

God Bless,
MoG

IMHO, the best guide for modesty is to be careful in how you dress (or anything else you do) to avoid setting stumbling-blocks for others (or yourself). It is not "Is this dress sinful?", but "Could I be tempting someone by wearing this?" What is modest in one culture may not be so in another.

Great responses! I think women have a responsibility to dress modestly. Both men and women have the responsibility to control their thoughts/lusts.

Looking at this thread and other similar discussions, I would question if there is not a great deal of confusion between 'modest' and 'decent' attire.
Not having kept any editions of 'Vogue' magazines from Paul's era :), I think we can only speculate and guess as to the practice of some women dressing in an indecent manner in those days or not.
Better we stick with the natural contextual meaning of modest as being opposed to extravagant, the while being sure to shun indecent dress practices both at Church and elsewhere.

the answer is as simple as this ..
some are born of the spirit ..
some are not and still live according to the flesh ..

I think some are still learning, though, and that is why they have concerns about it... because they want to do the right thing.

Back