More of You

6/7/11: I had a horrible sinus headache all day that would not go away. I took several short naps, but that didn't work, caffeine didn't cut it, I could not pray it away, so I finally just asked the Lord to teach me through it. I was praying in my room alone and was asking the Lord Jesus to make me more like him and less like me. And, that is what inspired the words to this song.

Even though, as followers of Christ, we have been given new lives in Christ, forgiven of our sins, and we are bound for heaven, we still live in flesh bodies. We are still tempted to sin. Sometimes our flesh still takes over, and so daily we must die to sin and self (See Lu. 9:23-25; Eph. 4:17-24; Ro. 6-8), and we must be filled with his Spirit. We must be daily in his word, listening to him speak his words to our hearts, and then we must apply the truths we learn to our daily lives through obedience to what we have been taught. We do this in the power and working of the Spirit of God within us and by God’s grace, and not in our flesh.

If we are not deliberate about this, and we become lazy or slack in our relationship with our Lord Jesus, and in spending quality time with him each day in his word and in following through on what we read with obedience, the old flesh will begin to rise and will begin to become more, and Christ will become less in our lives, in our minds, and in our priorities. Just like with any relationship, we need to work at the relationship, and not let it slide due to neglect. We have to consciously decide to make Christ first priority in our lives so that he is more, and we have to make the effort, in the power and working of the Spirit within us, to become less concerned and occupied with self and what we want, i.e. to die to self.

More of You / An Original Work / June 7, 2011

More of You and less of me;
Like You, Jesus, I would be;
Loving, tender, gracious, kind,
Giving light to those who’re blind.

More of Jesus, in His word,
Which is where God’s truths are heard;
Guiding, teaching us new birth;
In Christ Jesus find my worth.

More of His thoughts in my head;
More of His words, I would spread;
Giving courage; true hope found;