Museums

It seems like whenever we go anywhere travelling, we (my family) always go visit museums. Maybe because many of them are free, they are indoors and a way to spend a rainy day wandering around with no pressure to buy anything. Also for history lovers, it's a bit of time travel. For collectors, it's a treasure trove. Otherwise for many its just a place where old things go to a better life (as a museum attraction). The only place you can find dinosaurs is in a museum.

What are some museums you've been to? Any ones that were out of the ordinary? Any where you learned something historical or had something unusual?

I've been to ..tree museums, car museums, Bible museums, whaling museums, writers museums, war memorial museums...its seems any old house more than a century old can just become a museum by leaving everything there and roping it off :ROFLMAO:

What was in the Royal BC museum? Royalty? Crown jewels?

I was reading about a place called Olveston House in Dunedin. When I was down there years ago I heard about it but didn't have time to check it out, but its this huge house with 35 rooms that belonged to a wealthy family in Victorian times, who made pianos and had the most up to date furnishings for the time, and technology. It had a billard room with a retractable skylight, and an elevator, and luxurious wallpaper, carpets etc.

The owners had two children but the son while married had no children and died when he was 40 and their unmarried daughter lived there until she died (in her 80s?) and gifted the house to the public/city and so it is preserved to this day - the photos make it look like a showhome!

There are similar grand old historic homes that have the original furnishings in (instead of being lived in and renovated) so you can imagine what it was like to live there back in the day, although I doubt with some of the really old homes they still light the candles and prepare the fire and if they weren't extremely wealthy the furniture would look all shabby because it had been used just like in a real home.

Imagine if your own home was earmarked to be a museum what would people in 100 years time find and would they be impressed or think 'how quaint'. I imagine people from 100 years might look at the plastic veneer desk thats in the kitchen (its made of mdf particle board but covered in plastic that looks like woodgrain) and wonder what the desk is doing in the kitchen and...why there is all mum's extra stuff in the second shower? And what exactly is all the stuff piled in cardboard boxes in the garage?

Back