music advice

i like playing music and learning how to maybe join church to play music but some people made me have panic attacks and fear of something maybe real or not so am not sure is this in any bibles or scriptures some were.
here a video of it

Hey Patricia (waving) - welcome to CFS. The legend of Johnson selling his soul to become a better musician is an old one. He didn't gain wealth and fame until, mostly, after his death. There are lots of metaphor that can be construed from this but I think it's safe to love music without sacrifice of soul. Implied in this legend is that Johnson traded his eternal soul to be "the best" for a very short time on earth. This speaks of pride in wordly things. And idolizing anything above God is wrong. I'm unclear about what you are afraid of regarding church and music?

Something I read some where; probably here in the forums and I take no credit for this-

If someone isn't a Christian, wouldn't their soul already belong to satan? So how would selling your soul to satan be more beneficial?

They use the fact that Johnson lost his wife and child and that's what motivated him to sing the blues. One has to wonder why his so called deal would want to be singing better blues. I suppose losing your soul would be a can't beat it motivator. Just sayin'.
I read the same posts, Dumpster, and the logic is unbeatable there. I guess what is being said is that you are confirming your lost status believing evil will win and willfully following.

Something I read some where; probably here in the forums and I take no credit for this-

If someone isn't a Christian, wouldn't their soul already belong to satan? So how would selling your soul to satan be more beneficial?

ALL souls belong to God-thus He holds the title to do with those souls as He pleases: Heaven or Hell? But since our God is merciful; He gives us the choice: Heaven or Hell?

The devil can't 'buy our souls' at any price: however; the devil uses sin to tempt us into 'selling ourselves out' to him and his wicked ways and abandoning God. Remember what Jesus said about Satan:

John 8:

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

Satan / the Devil uses deception and manipulation to get us to sin; which includes putting us on a guilt trip and making us feel unworthy to be God's children. Satan appeals to our sinful nature 'lusts of your father'....

The irony in that is: God knows we are unworthy! That's why Jesus died on the cross....

Don't let Satan trick you.

Apart from God we would all be condemned.

peter

ME
Me I want my name in lights
Fame and money and no less
That is why I'm on my knees
To crucify my flesh

peter

i like playing music and learning how to maybe join church to play music but some people made me have panic attacks and fear of something maybe real or not so am not sure is this in any bibles or scriptures some were.
here a video of it.

The idea of selling one's soul or doing a deal with the devil goes back a lot further than Robert Johnson. Perhaps the most famous legend is the one of Faust.

An earlier musical example is Niccolo Paganini (1782-1840) who had a successful career as the outstanding violinist of his generation. It's unclear to me whether he did such a thing or whether for example others generated rumours to explain his, for the time, extraordinary abilities but, according to Wikipedia, the Roman Catholic church took it seriously enough to deny him a Christian burial for some time.

I'd think that whether there may be any gain by attempting to take such an action is debatable but the certainty is that even if you did manage to gain 100 years of bliss and success in every way, you will die at some point and have to face the consequences.

I see Dumpsters's argument. Personally, I would speculate that someone who has got them self so wrapped up with the devil and is content with what they think there are gaining is not likely to turn round and one day look for salvation?

As for temptations and Silk's question (sort of) why would anyone anyone choose the blues? I think it depends on where a person's interests lie. With regard to music, I could for example wish to be the greatest Irish style tenor banjo player that ever was. Hardly something that many people are interested in but, hey, I could still be the top of my own tree... I'd guess someone else may want to be renowned in academic circles, another having the greatest collection of art, etc.

The problem is that we can allow anything to take over to the point where we might be willing to consider doing something very wrong to satisfy our own lusts and egos. So patricia2626, I don't believe there are special dangers in music. There are however dangers in letting anything grow greater than God.

I didn't mean I didn't like the blues - my point was that if you sold your soul - wouldn't you want the things back that caused the "blues"? The legend of Johnson is that he was such an artist and loved music more than anything else. He didn't ask for fame or fortune and didn't receive them in his lifetime. Seeing his wife and child again could not be obtained from the devil. In fact, I think whoever rejects Christ, makes their deal with the devil's lies.

Thanks for explaining what you'd meant when questioning the blues to me. The closest that maybe I can get to an alternative explanation from the emotional side would be the finishing with someone I shouldn't have been with (as I've said before I did manage what turned out to be an affair with someone who had a boyfriend in prison) I was quite cut up at the time and angry with God for what happened (even though I look at that differently now) .

One of the things I did was find a sad song.

It might sound counter intuitive but for me and my screwed up mind at the time, it felt like a relief I could pour my feelings out to.

Boltardy said: It might sound counter intuitive but for me and my screwed up mind at the time, it felt like a relief I could pour my feelings out to."

Actually, it doesn't sound counter intuitive, at all, to want to hear sad when we are sad. That someone has felt that way too. The answer to heartbreak is coded in the song....Time. I think all human relationships, particularly significant others, are about learning lessons. If we don't learn them, we repeat them. Most important - all relationships are about us, individually, not the other partner. When relationships break up, we like to blame the other and fail to look at what we contributed, allowed and did, to create our own angst. Songs move us and make us feel. One of my favorite sad songs is Toni Braxton's "How Could an Angel Break My Heart." On the upswing, I love Sting's "Brand New Day" and Celine Dion's "Love Can Move Mountains."

Thanks for the songs. I had to look them up and had not heard of Toni Braxton so they were all new to me. I think if I was to pick on an upswing sort of come on lift yourself up song, I'll often go with Dave Mallet's (but covered by many including John Denver and The Dubliners) The Ballad Of St Anne's Reel. I've played the reel (that's usually played between the verses) many times in sessions and it can persuade me to pick up (say) the mandolin and start playing along.

I see what you mean --

the lyrics:
da85bb413a48f8cdd3feb0a9f7e4abe9.png
Play Music
1d64ab1bb7315113c5647de42d17a2cb.png
c56e288db2ce297a23bc2b80627143d8.png

.ringrone, .ringtone_b, .lyrics-ringtone{ height: auto !important; } /* lyricsfreak, mode */ "The Ballad Of St. Anne's Reel"

He was stranded in some tiny town on fair Prince Edward Isle,
awaiting for a ship to come and find him
A one-horse place, a friendly face, some coffee and a tiny trace
of fiddling in the distance far behind him.

A dime across the counter, then, a shy hello, a brand new friend.
A walk along the street in the wintry weather.
A yellow light, an open door, a welcome friend, there's room for more,
And then they're standing there inside together.

He said I've heard that tune before somewhere, but I can't remember when.
Was it on some other friendly shore or did I hear it on the wind?
Was it written on the sky above? I think I heard it from someone I love,
but I never heard it sound so sweet since then

Now his feet begin to tap, a little boy says I'll take your hat.
He's caught up in the magic of her smile.
And leap, the heart inside him went, and off across the floor he sent
his clumsy body graceful as a child.

He said there's magic in the fiddler's arm, there's magic in this town.
There's magic in the dancers' feet and the way they put them down.
People smiling everywhere, boots and ribbons, locks of hair,
and laughter and old blue suits and Easter gowns.

Now the sailor's gone, the room is bare, the old piano's sitting there,
someone's hat's left hanging on the rack.
And empty chairs, the wooden floor that feels the touch of shoes no more,
awaiting for the dancers to come back.

And the fiddle's in the closet of some daughter of the town.
The strings are broke and the bow is gone and the cover's buttoned down.
But sometimes on December nights, when the air is cold and the wind is right,
There's a melody that passes through this town.

So many songs... A lot of my own pleasure has come from things without words, mostly in the folk dance repertoire although this year I have been thinking of changing course. It's hard to explain but after years of playing in pub sessions, earlier this year I started to feel my time with it had sort of ran it's full course, I started to question what I was still doing playing in them and that I needed a change. It's not that I no longer like the tunes but I feel a time has come to move on from there. Oddly enough, in common with the OP, church music has crossed my mind - although I'm pretty much folk orientated in what I can do.

Anyway, enough of that, I'll leave you with another song. This one crossed my mind after I think you liked St Annes. I'l leave you with a Nanci Griffith version of the Bill Stainnes song, The Roseville Fair.

OK - one more of my all time favorites written by Bob Dylan - Chimes of Freedom by the Byrds is like a hymn.

Dylan is another artist who took advantage of the crossroads myth to help add appeal to his image. Basically, he took some time away to master his style in solitude, and when he came back, this rumor arose that he'd been to the crossroads, and he didn't exactly do a lot to stop that rumor:) This is discussed in the Dylan documentary "No Direction Home." If you haven't seen it, it's pretty incredible.

I love a good story. And God's truth comes from the strangest places.... I doubt the heavy metal lovers will agree...but truth always leads you to truth...

I love a good story. And God's truth comes from the strangest places.... I doubt the heavy metal lovers will agree...but truth always leads you to truth...

Hmm, I have 2 perhaps conflicting thoughts.

The first sort of runs I don't see why any style of music can not be used for God's purpose and that my own likes/dislikes or familiarity or otherwise can [added] NOT be the judge.

The second (and I'm not trying to point at your song here) is that I am rather cynical about the "Christian music" label. I'm not sure how to put it but it can seem a sort of branded market led alternative to me.

I purposely avoided labels. I know all about the wrong way. Been there...done that. There's a hole in my heart that can only be filled by God.When we talk about it, I recognize lies.

Back