Music in Worship

violet

Inactive
Music in Worship

2 Chronicles 7:6

And the priests waited on their offices: the Levites also with instruments of musick of the LORD, which David the king had made to praise the LORD, because his mercy endureth for ever, when David praised by their ministry; and the priests sounded trumpets before them, and all Israel stood.

I am curious why some churches will not use a single instrument in their worship services~

2 Samuel 6:5
And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.

One denomination in particular says that intruments were not mentioned in the New Testament so they do not believe in them. Perhaps legalistic but whatever floats your boat. As long as you worship God He is pleased and if they thought it was wrong and did it any way they would be sinning by violating thier conscience towards God. What is a liberty to me could be a sin to them.

I think, it's almost always a case of preference. Most of the time, "music" arguments in church boil down to the thought that if we are in tune with God, then He must hate what we hate, so if we hate a certain sound or type of music, then it must not be acceptable to God.

I'm a big fan of a'copella music. And I can honestly understand an argument about the way music is being used in churches. I left the last church that I loved mostly because I didn't like the way the music ministry was going. I didn't like that music was being used to "stir" emotions, and they were actually planning moments when they expected people to cry, or go to the altar. I don't think that tricking people to the altar is something God would smile upon.

The new church I'm going to is a bit different. The worship music and the sermon are kept VERY separate. The service starts out with music, and everyone runs to the front like a concert. It's exciting music and it praises God...and that's is it's ONLY purpose. It doesn't set a mood, or intertwine with the sermon. It's just pure worship. I love that. That is how music is supposed to be used IMO.

Manipualtion is as the sin of witchraft. What a shame for those people. I attended a staged event like this once- that was enough for me. I can remeber watching a guitarist in our church and you could see and tell his playing was pure worship- an offering laid at the feet of the Lord.

The Heart Of Worship Lyrics by Matt Redman

When the music fades
And all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless your heart
I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You
All about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
It's all about You Jesus
King of endless worth
No one could express
How much You deserve
Though I'm weak and poor
All I have is Yours
Every single breath
I'll bring You more than just a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You
All about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
It's all about You Jesus
Its all about you
Jesus

To listen click this link:
http://www.tsrocks.com/m/matt_redman_texts/the_heart_of_worship.html

I can't imagine worshipping without music.

What I can't stand, I tell you, is when bands re-make songs like a month after the original is released...you hear these teenie-bopper voices drawling and trying to sound sexy and cute. You can practically hear the dollar signs in their eyes.

I myself don't think that God cares if you're in pitch or if you've had music lessons or if you can hold a note in vibrato...all he cares is whether or not it's coming from your heart. You can hear this in certain songs...true worship, for His sake. Not for the dollar's sake. It gives the music a powerful feeling.

Let it rip! I love that kind of music when I'm worshipping. Tear off your self-esteem and bare your soul to the Lord!

Yes! Praise the Lord!:D

I can't imagine worshipping without music.

I myself don't think that God cares if you're in pitch or if you've had music lessons or if you can hold a note in vibrato...all he cares is whether or not it's coming from your heart. You can hear this in certain songs...true worship, for His sake. Not for the dollar's sake. It gives the music a powerful feeling.

Let it rip! I love that kind of music when I'm worshipping. Tear off your self-esteem and bare your soul to the Lord!

Yes! Praise the Lord!:D
Amen x 10!:D

If the Bible teaches it, it should be done in my opinion. As me for me myself, I always like to play Christian music while worshiping the Lord :)

I think, it's almost always a case of preference. Most of the time, "music" arguments in church boil down to the thought that if we are in tune with God, then He must hate what we hate, so if we hate a certain sound or type of music, then it must not be acceptable to God.

I'm a big fan of a'copella music. And I can honestly understand an argument about the way music is being used in churches. I left the last church that I loved mostly because I didn't like the way the music ministry was going. I didn't like that music was being used to "stir" emotions, and they were actually planning moments when they expected people to cry, or go to the altar. I don't think that tricking people to the altar is something God would smile upon.

The new church I'm going to is a bit different. The worship music and the sermon are kept VERY separate. The service starts out with music, and everyone runs to the front like a concert. It's exciting music and it praises God...and that's is it's ONLY purpose. It doesn't set a mood, or intertwine with the sermon. It's just pure worship. I love that. That is how music is supposed to be used IMO.

Ban, I do know what you mean about using music for emotional purposes~

Equally as scary are the ones who express little or no emotion. The " frozen choosen" need an understanding of this- you cannot be touched by an Almighty, Omnipotent God and not experience a stiring in your emotions. God gave them to us for a reason. I have seen the stoic types take years to break out of emotional bondages and cages. What a wonderful thing to see them get free and experience the joy of the Lord.

I love that too Bro Ban and can't imagine a church with out music. At our church we have a Sun Morning the first Sun of the month,Communion Sun. designated to just worship. We sing old hymns and the new songs and choruses but it is all music. It is so moving and the Holy Spirit is so present. I just love those services. And the praises of God's people as we lift Him higher is very real and Jesus is indeed to be worshipped and praised.

Every sun of course we start with praises and worship in music and in verbal praise, but Communion Sun. is very special to me.

I have the freedom to worship in many ways. I sing all day to Jesus with or without music. But I do love the music with the worship. Whatever floats your boat as long as you are giving your heart to Jesus.

Equally as scary are the ones who express little or no emotion. The " frozen choosen" need an understanding of this- you cannot be touched by an Almighty, Omnipotent God and not experience a stiring in your emotions. God gave them to us for a reason. I have seen the stoic types take years to break out of emotional bondages and cages. What a wonderful thing to see them get free and experience the joy of the Lord.

This is exactly what I have experienced in the church I tried to attend. No emotion whatsoever. I look around and wonder, how can none of you, service after service, month after month, never show one bit of emotion for a God that took you in, a Savior who gave His life for you! How can you never lift your hands in praise, shed a loving tear in pure worship???
To me, it is very sad and the services leave everything to be desired!

LOL

Violet - the church that I used to go to did this a lot. They'd break out the books and start singing...and it would sound more like a song of mourning than a song of praise.

Everybody was watching each other instead of keeping their eyes on the altar.

Where I'm at now, I can close my eyes and boogie and scream without anybody making strange faces at me!:eek:

LOL

Violet - the church that I used to go to did this a lot. They'd break out the books and start singing...and it would sound more like a song of mourning than a song of praise.

Everybody was watching each other instead of keeping their eyes on the altar.

Where I'm at now, I can close my eyes and boogie and scream without anybody making strange faces at me!:eek:

Yes, WW!!!
I do feel like I am at a funeral, not the house of God.
Actually the last funeral I went to was so awesome that people were worshiping and praising The Lord!
Praising The Lord for a wonderful preacher who went home!!!

I know what you mean about your boogie!:D
How can someone be so still with The Holy Ghost in the same room?

Sorry, I meant that would be the kind of service I would worry about, it it had a pair of 1000 Watt Mashal Stacks, with Lasers, and smoke machines, and flash pots on stage, and such:eek:

I guess it all depends if You show up to worship sevice, and see a Pair of 1000 watt Mashal Stacks, or Not:rolleyes:

It's not those I show up to see but I don't mind hearing them if they are used right.Hallelujah
I have gotten to the point were I am so spoiled by the great outpouring of God's Spirit that I have been fortunate enough to be part of that I cannot bear the idea of a dead dry service. Give me a place where God is moving and you WILL see signs of life. It will be apparent in the worship as it is litterally coming into the arms of pasionate love, it will be apparent in the Word as the anointing if God breaks the yolks and opens spiritual eyes and ears. It will be expressed in love and always accompanied by a vibrant outreach as God expresses His love for the lost thru His people. Give me the fire of God and the outpouring anyday.
Nope I am not going to sit thru a service in the Church of the Frigid Air but I of course do not condemn anyone who wishes to attend one of those (funeral) services.:D

Back