Must You Speak In Tongues In Order To Be Saved?

I am part of a few Christian forums, and in the one that I am a part of, there is someone claiming that you must speak in tongues in order to have salvation. He has said the only evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit is by speaking/praying in tongues.

I have never seen anywhere in the Bible where it states that you must speak in tongues to have salvation.

The straight forward answer is No. Tongues is one of the Spiritual Gifts. Just like gift of Preaching or Spiritual Discernment. It is not a proof of being saved. I would actually state the converse. Speaking in tongues is not a sign of being saved! I might get lot of negative critics for my comment. But that is true.

Sigh... since you're only going to read until you come across something to pick at... why bother.

To whom are you replying to????

If it was me and comment #16........did you not make the comment to be read by us and then for us to reply to you????

Doesn't "forum" imply reading and replying?

I just thought it was a funny comment. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

Speaking in tongues is simply speaking in another language. 'Hearing' other tongues is hearing the Gospel in your own language even though the speaker is speaking another language. God opens the ears of the hearer to the understanding of His Word when the heart is truly seeking Him. There have been documented cases of this all over the world even in our present days.

I agree with you Major about the hearing, that has happened to me several times here, once a dear German brother was visiting and we invited him to dinner, he was speaking in German and we were speaking in English and the Holy Spirit opened our ears so that we could understand each other, another time we invited some Chilean officers to eat with us and the same thing happened, they were speaking in Spanish and we in English.

However, that is not the speaking in tongues as taught in the Word, true speaking in tongues is a known language and there has to be an interpretation, either by the person speaking or a person with the gift of interpretation, Father has shown this to me also, ...during a orderly worship service (it was at a men's retreat that had started on Friday night with sound Biblical teaching all day Saturday and it was on Saturday night this happened) there was speaking in tongues, the pastor stopped the service and asked for an interpretation and one came, then he explained that speaking in tongues was a sign for the lost and said that there was someone in the audience that the Lord wanted to save that night, he asked that person to stand up and about 50 men stood up! PTL

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all of the gibberish I have heard over the years is speaking in tongues, personally, I believe it is the muttering and peeping of demons, as described in Is 8:19, but Jesus said His sheep known His voice and when I heard the brother speak in the situation above, I knew in my spirit that it was Jesus speaking, the same with the interpretation, ...like Paul when he said he didn't have the words to describe what he saw when he visited the third Heaven, I can't accurately describe what I heard, the closest I can come is to say the voice was golden, majestic, powerful (like a mighty wind) loud, but not hurting the ears, clear like the sound of a trumpet and most important I sensed the presence of the Lord and I felt (?) sooo loved, it was the same with the interpretation, like I said I can't really do justice to what took place that night, but souls were saved and that is the Biblical reason for speaking in tongues.

Now........where in the world or body would this groaning come from if not from the mouth??????

No bro, it comes from our hearts, haven't you witnessed to someone in the Spirit and they just don't get it, afterwards you know that they are on the path to destruction and there is such pain and sadness in your heart, you feel hopeless for that person, you don't know what else to say, you just groan in your spirit, ...well, that is the Holy Spirit groaning in us and for us, if we just lift that emotion up in faith before Father at His throne of Grace it is a prayer that only He can and will interpret.

I am a Baptist by choice and tongues is not recognized as a gift.

Now hang with me dear brother, look at what you said, it's your choice, that does not necessarily mean it's Father's choice for you, ...no offense meant, just think about it, okay, ...luv ya!

Blessings and peace,

Gene

Last edited:
Major, go back and read our interactions on this, and other threads... you either challenge a single portion of my post, while ignoring that the answer to your challenge is there as well. Or you use contradictory language without addressing anything I've actually said; frankly, it's emotionally exhausting. And yes, I made the comment to be read and replied to, but if you're not going to read the whole comment, why bother. As for not meaning to "ruffle my feathers," if you're going to make a joke at my expense, don't be surprised if I don't appreciate it.

Finally, thank you Just Passing Through... you explained it quite well.

Beloved, I once heard a teaching on Ps 23 about my cup runneth over that has stuck in my heart and has become a life verse for me, one of the points the pastor made is the Lord, in His mercy and grace, fills our cups with such abundance that they overflow, we retain what is in the cup, but that which overflows is lost, so he proposed to us how big is my cup, since the Lord is not a respecter of persons He blesses all His children abundantly, but if we have small cups what we retain is small in proportion to what He has blessed us with, he encouraged us to make certain our cups are large and in fact to ask Father to enlarge our cup so that we can try to retain all that He blesses us with. Naturally the question arises as to why would we have a small cup and how do we enlarge it, he went on to explain that our own preconceived ideas, teachings that are false, that don't align with the Word, even if they come from respected brothers, traditions and customs that we were taught, in short, anything that we aren't taught by the Holy Spirit, these are the things in us that keeps or cups small and from growing any larger.

I was saved during the beginning of the signs and wonders movement and truthfully watching someone blow on people and saying it was in the power of the Holy Spirit and seeing them fall over frightened me (I came out of the 60's drug culture and was well acquainted with what demons do), my dear pastor cleared it all up for me with one simple statement, "the Holy Spirit, the Comforter loves me and He would never do anything to hurt me or embarrass me," because of what he said I have left the preconceived ideas, teachings that are false, that don't align with the Word, even if they came from respected brothers, traditions and customs that I was taught behind, I have became a Berean and I search the Word to see if what I hear lines up with Scripture, I approve all things and discard those that don't.

The reason I'm writing this is to encourage all of you, my brothers and sisters, to examine how big is your cup with the criteria the pastor taught, I'm totally convinced that Father has showed me, allowed me to experience in a multitude of ways (like hearing real speaking in tongues for one, and other things so numerous you would probably say, like they said to Paul, I've gone mad), how He is working today in His Church, because I have believed all that He has written in His Word, I have left behind the picking and choosing which verses are for today and which are not, Father didn't call me to judge His Word, just simply believe it, and after being here almost 23 years, believing that way with a simple childlike faith I can truthfully and faithfully say that the Holy Spirit has loved on me, comforted me and has never hurt me or embarrassed me, in fact, as I enlarge my cup there are still blessings that are overflowing, ...and that is how it will be for us for all of Eternity, Father will be blessing His children so much we will never, in ALL of Eternity, be able to hold all of them.

Blessings and love,

Gene

Major, go back and read our interactions on this, and other threads... you either challenge a single portion of my post, while ignoring that the answer to your challenge is there as well. Or you use contradictory language without addressing anything I've actually said; frankly, it's emotionally exhausting. And yes, I made the comment to be read and replied to, but if you're not going to read the whole comment, why bother. As for not meaning to "ruffle my feathers," if you're going to make a joke at my expense, don't be surprised if I don't appreciate it.

Finally, thank you Just Passing Through... you explained it quite well.

In Major's defense, the guy always means well and only jokes with those he likes (from what I've seen of him). Though I can see you're very serious about this subject--and why shouldn't you be? I wouldn't hold this against my pal, Major.

This forum is infested with misunderstandings, but thankfully, everyone here really does mean well.

Now I am not trying to be a wise guy or anything like that but I had to laugh a little (lot) at your comment.

You said.............
"I meant to imply that the groaning mentioned in the verse wasn't an audible (or inaudible) "groaning" coming from our own mouth, but was instead some inaudible communication on our behalf by the Spirit".

Now........where in the world or body would this groaning come from if not from the mouth???????

I can not wait to hear your response (lol).

What is the translation on that? Because I've heard (and was too lazy to look up) that the Greek meant it cannot be uttered... Something to do with a sound croaking like a raven. This is an important question. Is the Holy Spirit's intercession for the believer synonymous with speaking in tongues? Evidently the tongues at Pentecost were spoken languages and not just repetitive syllables.

Upon further reflection, the question treats all tongues believers unfairly.

Those who claim tongues necessary for salvation are working for their salvation.

Those who interpret tongues as seen in most denominations should continue to seek to use the gifts to the best that they can understand them. And seek to use the higher gifts.

What is the translation on that? Because I've heard (and was too lazy to look up) that the Greek meant it cannot be uttered... Something to do with a sound croaking like a raven. This is an important question. Is the Holy Spirit's intercession for the believer synonymous with speaking in tongues? Evidently the tongues at Pentecost were spoken languages and not just repetitive syllables.

No! You missed the whole point my friend, probably my fault. I try to see funny things in life and try not to be too serious. I was only pointing out a funny comment "to me" not anything personal. It just struck me as funny (ha ha) nothing more or less.

You had said:
"I meant to imply that the groaning mentioned in the verse wasn't an audible (or inaudible) "groaning" coming from our own mouth".

It just struck me as funny (ha ha) that Where else except from our mouth would the sound come from????

I apologize that you were offened as that certainily was not my intent.

Last edited:
I agree with you Major about the hearing, that has happened to me several times here, once a dear German brother was visiting and we invited him to dinner, he was speaking in German and we were speaking in English and the Holy Spirit opened our ears so that we could understand each other, another time we invited some Chilean officers to eat with us and the same thing happened, they were speaking in Spanish and we in English.

However, that is not the speaking in tongues as taught in the Word, true speaking in tongues is a known language and there has to be an interpretation, either by the person speaking or a person with the gift of interpretation, Father has shown this to me also, ...during a orderly worship service (it was at a men's retreat that had started on Friday night with sound Biblical teaching all day Saturday and it was on Saturday night this happened) there was speaking in tongues, the pastor stopped the service and asked for an interpretation and one came, then he explained that speaking in tongues was a sign for the lost and said that there was someone in the audience that the Lord wanted to save that night, he asked that person to stand up and about 50 men stood up! PTL

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all of the gibberish I have heard over the years is speaking in tongues, personally, I believe it is the muttering and peeping of demons, as described in Is 8:19, but Jesus said His sheep known His voice and when I heard the brother speak in the situation above, I knew in my spirit that it was Jesus speaking, the same with the interpretation, ...like Paul when he said he didn't have the words to describe what he saw when he visited the third Heaven, I can't accurately describe what I heard, the closest I can come is to say the voice was golden, majestic, powerful (like a mighty wind) loud, but not hurting the ears, clear like the sound of a trumpet and most important I sensed the presence of the Lord and I felt (?) sooo loved, it was the same with the interpretation, like I said I can't really do justice to what took place that night, but souls were saved and that is the Biblical reason for speaking in tongues.

No bro, it comes from our hearts, haven't you witnessed to someone in the Spirit and they just don't get it, afterwards you know that they are on the path to destruction and there is such pain and sadness in your heart, you feel hopeless for that person, you don't know what else to say, you just groan in your spirit, ...well, that is the Holy Spirit groaning in us and for us, if we just lift that emotion up in faith before Father at His throne of Grace it is a prayer that only He can and will interpret.

Now hang with me dear brother, look at what you said, it's your choice, that does not necessarily mean it's Father's choice for you, ...no offense meant, just think about it, okay, ...luv ya!

Blessings and peace,

Gene

I agree with you Gene and I am aware of what you say. Please see comment #29 and maybe that explains what I was saying or did not say correctly.

I spent three tours in combat, I presume the X generation would call it Mortal Combat because I killed a number of folks and have a wound in my leg and I know that Major did a similar duty, in the same field of combat. Vets can be different folks and many off us still hate you folks that turned on us for serving you. Others, like Major and myself find Life humours and will oft try to lighten the mood. Our words are never meant to harm, upset nor to anger, just to lighten the load. If one removes the chip from their shoulder, life i fun.

God bless, peoples!

I spent three tours in combat, I presume the X generation would call it Mortal Combat because I killed a number of folks and have a wound in my leg and I know that Major did a similar duty, in the same field of combat. Vets can be different folks and many off us still hate you folks that turned on us for serving you. Others, like Major and myself find Life humours and will oft try to lighten the mood. Our words are never meant to harm, upset nor to anger, just to lighten the load. If one removes the chip from their shoulder, life i fun.

God bless, peoples!

Said a lot better than I said it.

As far as I can understand Scripture, speaking in tongues is certainly a gift. But it is a gift for the edification of the church. See 1Corinthians 14v26. If one speaks in tongues and there is no interpretation then he/she should keep quite See 1 Corinthians 14v28. In any case tongues is a sign for non believers. See 1 Corinthians 14v22. God bless you all.

Tongues have nothing to do with someone being saved. Most of humanity does not speak tongues. And what I saw in a church when I was young was just putting on a show. It was not real. People who claim to speak tongue most of the time is not true.

I am part of a few Christian forums, and in the one that I am a part of, there is someone claiming that you must speak in tongues in order to have salvation. He has said the only evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit is by speaking/praying in tongues.

I have never seen anywhere in the Bible where it states that you must speak in tongues to have salvation.

That's because it don't. God put lying spirits in the mouths of prophets/preachers. People must not forget that and that's why we are told to try the spirit.

That's because it don't. God put lying spirits in the mouths of prophets/preachers. People must not forget that and that's why we are told to try the spirit.

Very true "Lady from Texas".

The act of speaking in tongues goes back a long- long way before Christianity began. It can be traced back to ancient Oriental worship practices that took place in pagan temple worship.

These people then when traveling came to Corinth, they brought that practice with them when they came to Christ. That was out of ignorance, which is one of the reason way Paul wrote to the church in Corinth. Both his letters were "Corrective" epistles. He was trying to tell them what was acceptable and what was not.

Re speaking in tongues. I have seen many people here is Spain (mostly in gipsy churches) speaking in tongues and yet their lives and conduct was far from what you might call christian. I am not saying that one should not have that gift but from my experience it is very badly used. Tongues is for the benefit of oneself. Interpretation of tongues is for the benefit of the church as a whole. That´s what I understand from 1Corinthians chapter 14.
In any case, the most important in christian life is holiness without which noone will see the Lord and love. Speaking in tongues is easy, holiness takes a greater effort and personal cost. Agape love is what is missing in christianity.

Re speaking in tongues. I have seen many people here is Spain (mostly in gipsy churches) speaking in tongues and yet their lives and conduct was far from what you might call christian. I am not saying that one should not have that gift but from my experience it is very badly used. Tongues is for the benefit of oneself. Interpretation of tongues is for the benefit of the church as a whole. That´s what I understand from 1Corinthians chapter 14.
In any case, the most important in christian life is holiness without which noone will see the Lord and love. Speaking in tongues is easy, holiness takes a greater effort and personal cost. Agape love is what is missing in christianity.

Actually my friend, 1 Corth. 13 tells us that we are NOT to speak in tongues.

1 Corth 14:22.........
"Wherefore tongues are for a sign NOT to them that believe but to them that believe NOT".(a)

14:34 (a)......
"Let your women keep silent in the churches fot it it not permitted unto them to speak".

Chapter 14 is Pauls directions on tongues and therefore he says that women are not to speak in tongues at all.

Now, if you remove the women from the tongues movement, there is no movement at all.

Well my friend. I am not one who speaks in tongue but I am open to what the bible says. 1Corinthians 14 v26 mentions hymns,a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation......V39 says do not forbid speaking in tongues. V40 but everything should be done in an orderly way.. Blessings Julio191

Back