My first missions trip to India

Hi jeffin are there many bible colleges in India where pastors and ministers can be trained?
Its a great challenge to learn the bible in places where its not generally taught in schools, and Indians have been raised reading other spiritual books instead, like the hindu one, I forget the name of it.

Did you bring over bibles translated into their languages?

Hi jeffin are there many bible colleges in India where pastors and ministers can be trained?
Its a great challenge to learn the bible in places where its not generally taught in schools, and Indians have been raised reading other spiritual books instead, like the hindu one, I forget the name of it.

Did you bring over bibles translated into their languages?

There are many Bible colleges in the southern states of India but towards the north there are much lesser. The north has been very sensitive to religious activities especially those that are not of Hinduism so to build Christian colleges or Churches there has been very challenging. They may get destroyed, Christian workers beaten and so on. It's these places that we need to concentrate. They have enough Bibles there so that's not a problem. There are very less number of Christians and Christian leaders. Our mission is very specific. Look for Christian leaders, train them to build Churches and to multiply. Most leaders are new to the faith so regular training and follow up is what they require.
We have a goal of putting one Church in every village that means hundreds and thousands of Churches in one Indian state within a span of 10 years. We have chosen one state only.
And we do this by training indigenous leaders requiring no affiliation to our Church. That makes it hard for authorities to track us to one specific organisation. We have done our research, prepared a strategy covering everything to achieve this goal and a dedicated team in place to follow up regularly so all the leaders are achieving the tasks given to them within the timelines. I'll remove this spoiler after you have read it. :)
By the way, Hindus have many religious books, the most popular one of them being Bhagavat Gita.

It it like in china where the churches need to be underground, i.e. in peoples homes and not visible to authorities or govt interference.
I dont have any idea of how people go about building or planting churches, where there arent any before but it seems to me for new churches here people just rented out places where people could gather and then eventually bought them and turned them into church spaces or places of worship. Thats why newer churches tend to be in warehouses or industrial places, or held in school halls, even abandoned movie theatres.

When land was cheaper back in the day it was easier to pool money together to buy land and build a church building, but it still took years to pay off the mortgage on that building. However the freedom people have to worship in one place once that is paid off forever is invaluable. That means that community always has somewhere to go. Its just the maintenance costs that need to be borne I guess, so always count the cost before you start. The churches I knkw were built at the time the suburb was being developed. So they are about 60 years old. There might have already been older churches there but as the population grew they needed more.

How would you look for christian leaders though. Isnt everyone who believes a servant and willing to contribute. The church isnt just built by one person and Jesus, who is the head says he will build His church. We just follow him. Has God given you this timeline of ten years, if He has He will provide.

Im trying to think whether the pastors I know grew up in the area they pastor, for us in nz it seems people get trained in bible college etc and get sent to wherever a parish needs a minister. Actually yes one pastor did grow up in the church he now pastors although he pastored elsewhere before. The senior pastor came from another town down south. The other pastor I know in a different church was trained also down south. He grew up in the suburb nearby but he was born overseas. But they came to pastor churches already established. There is a bible college up the road from me. It was foundered by a christian businessman who had the vision to establish one there, he had owned the biggest department store in the country. But those pastors I know didnt study there, however lots of ministers get trained there. Its non denominational, wheras the ones the pastors I know went to are affiliated with established denoms.

So possibly the area needs to be evangelised FIRST before you send out ministers. I dont know, thats how they did it in book of Acts anyway, people just met in homes and they preached in synagogues. I dont know if you would be allowed to preach in hindu temples etc, but maybe the schools that are there already? Or hospitals or orphanages.

Back