Nathan Rebukes David...america?

I was reading through 2 Samuel yesterday and couldn't help but compare the situation with the poor man who brought up a ewe lamb (which was essentially his pet) and the rich man that prepared the ewe lamb for a traveler instead of using one of this own. David burns with anger at what had happened and wants the rich man dead for what he had done.

Nathan then stops him essentially saying "You are THAT rich man". Then goes on to say:

“You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel, ‘It is I who anointed you king over Israel and it is I who delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I also gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your [e]care, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these! 9 Why have you despised the word of the Lord by doing evil in His sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the sons of Ammon. 10 Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.’ 11 Thus says the Lord, ‘Behold, I will raise up evil against you from your own household; I will even take your wives before your eyes and give them to your companion, and he will lie with your wives in [f]broad daylight. 12 Indeed you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, and [g]under the sun.’” 13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has [h]taken away your sin; you shall not die. 14 However, because by this deed you have given occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born to you shall surely die.” (2 Samuel 12:7-14)

We go after so many other countries for what they do when we refuse to look at ourselves and what we're doing and what we've done. As a country, we are falling farther and farther away from the Lord and unlike David who takes heed of Nathan's words and realizes what he had done in the sight of the Lord, it does not look like America will entertain a similar rebuke. Very sad, I will continue to pray for this great country.

I was reading through 2 Samuel yesterday and couldn't help but compare the situation with the poor man who brought up a ewe lamb (which was essentially his pet) and the rich man that prepared the ewe lamb for a traveler instead of using one of this own. David burns with anger at what had happened and wants the rich man dead for what he had done.

Nathan then stops him essentially saying "You are THAT rich man". Then goes on to say:

“You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel, ‘It is I who anointed you king over Israel and it is I who delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I also gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your [e]care, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these! 9 Why have you despised the word of the Lord by doing evil in His sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the sons of Ammon. 10 Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.’ 11 Thus says the Lord, ‘Behold, I will raise up evil against you from your own household; I will even take your wives before your eyes and give them to your companion, and he will lie with your wives in [f]broad daylight. 12 Indeed you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, and [g]under the sun.’” 13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has [h]taken away your sin; you shall not die. 14 However, because by this deed you have given occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born to you shall surely die.” (2 Samuel 12:7-14)

We go after so many other countries for what they do when we refuse to look at ourselves and what we're doing and what we've done. As a country, we are falling farther and farther away from the Lord and unlike David who takes heed of Nathan's words and realizes what he had done in the sight of the Lord, it does not look like America will entertain a similar rebuke. Very sad, I will continue to pray for this great country.
I think the nation of America is going in the direction of Saul rather than David.. because all that was needed for David was confrontation.. He probably thought he could get away with it.. Whereas Saul's case was quite different.. He was knowingly getting into the habit of disobedience.. In a way ignoring the authority of God.. That is what is exactly going on.. Taking away prayers from school, etc.. People want to show their authority over everything, including God..

I think the nation of America is going in the direction of Saul rather than David.. because all that was needed for David was confrontation.. He probably thought he could get away with it.. Whereas Saul's case was quite different.. He was knowingly getting into the habit of disobedience.. In a way ignoring the authority of God.. That is what is exactly going on.. Taking away prayers from school, etc.. People want to show their authority over everything, including God..

I would agree. I was just taking that specific situation to bring forth the arrogance of America. America is/will indeed take the path of Saul if they don't change things and change them now. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening :(

I would agree. I was just taking that specific situation to bring forth the arrogance of America. America is/will indeed take the path of Saul if they don't change things and change them now. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening :(
True.. And not to discount what you mentioned.. I agree fully to what you posted.. It is doubtful if this nation (as a whole) will show the same repentance that David showed..

I absolutely enjoy reading Samuel, Kings, Chronicles.. Because it sounds like history keeps on repeating itself! And many people think God was cruel in OT days.. But looking how he persisted with Israel, just shows His love to me..

And I am always intrigued at the life of David.. Someone called by Lord as "man after His own heart".. It is amazing to see how David reacted to many situations in his life.. A great study :) If you are interested we can talk more on that :)

True.. And not to discount what you mentioned.. I agree fully to what you posted.. It is doubtful if this nation (as a whole) will show the same repentance that David showed..

I absolutely enjoy reading Samuel, Kings, Chronicles.. Because it sounds like history keeps on repeating itself! And many people think God was cruel in OT days.. But looking how he persisted with Israel, just shows His love to me..

And I am always intrigued at the life of David.. Someone called by Lord as "man after His own heart".. It is amazing to see how David reacted to many situations in his life.. A great study :) If you are interested we can talk more on that :)

Maybe start a new thread with a study of David. I would love to participate. In the last week or so, I've re-read through Judges, Ruth, and 1st Samuel. I'm about half way through 2nd Samuel right now. It is my 3rd or 4th time reading it and every time I do, I am astounded at how much the Lord loved David and how much He blessed him :)

Back