Need help researching

Need help researching

I'm trying to find some specific occurences in the Old Testament but am having some difficulty finding well, anything.

I'm looking for times when most (or all) of the jews turned from God and worshipped Idols or other somesuches. Specifically looking for what caused this major turn, and how they were brought back. With scriptoral references of course.

As many occurences as you can find would be great. Thanks in advance for your time and aid. :)

I'm looking for times when most (or all) of the jews turned from God and worshipped Idols or other somesuches. Specifically looking for what caused this major turn, and how they were brought back. With scriptoral references of course.

The book of Judges is so, so full of them. The vicious cycle would be this: The stubborn Israelites, after some time would forget God then God would be angry with them, then God would allow them to be captured by another nation, then after that foreign nation enslaves them, the stiffnecked Hebrews would ask forgiveness from the Father, then the merciful God would save them through the Judges.

And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim:

And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger.
Judges 2:11-12

Nevertheless the LORD raised up judges, which delivered them out of the hand of those that spoiled them.

And yet they would not hearken unto their judges, but they went a whoring after other gods, and bowed themselves unto them: they turned quickly out of the way which their fathers walked in, obeying the commandments of the LORD; but they did not so.

And when the LORD raised them up judges, then the LORD was with the judge, and delivered them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge: for it repented the LORD because of their groanings by reason of them that oppressed them and vexed them
Judges 2:16-18

Oh man, the Israelites were so so stubborn :(

Hi Richard, I'd like to know as well. I don't understand how people who experienced the power of God like they did, could then allow themselves to drift away. Not only drift away, but to turn to idol worship as well. What was in their lives that made them forget?, is what I'd like to know, because then we can guard against it in our own lives.

Hi Richard, I'd like to know as well. I don't understand how people who experienced the power of God like they did, could then allow themselves to drift away. Not only drift away, but to turn to idol worship as well. What was in their lives that made them forget?, is what I'd like to know, because then we can guard against it in our own lives.

Swiss .. I think we also have to go back to Egypt where the Israelites were slaves and realise that the Egyptians in that day worshipped many idols and many gods and because the Israelites were living there , it was ingrained in them as well . That is why all through their plight to the promised land, God needed to put all those laws in place to teach them .

We can see the example of when Moses . went up the mountain and the people though it was too long and so got Aaron to make a golden calf and they worshipped that calf .

[FONT=&quot]It has to be remembered that some of these drifting always took place over a few generations.

Others happened fast as in during the times of the Exodus. Seems to me that during that time the Jews who followed Moses still carried the belief that there where many Gods and that the God of Moses although a very powerful God was just another God.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days[/FONT]

First, I agree with John, The Book of Judges is the best example of those who fail away.

This is because Signs, Miracles, Sign Gifts or even spiritual gifts will not save man. Gifts only gives validity to the source (confirms authority), thus sign gifts were given to many during the apostolic years of the New Church, such was use to confirm their word.

Mark 16:17-20. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Thus, we have the complete word of God, which is greater than signs, even miracles.

2 Peter 1:18-19. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Jesus also confirmed that miracles wouldn't save man, only his word. Salvation is a heart change, done only through faith, not miracles.

Matthew 12:38-39. Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Luke 16:31. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets (God's Word), neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead (A Miracle).{read in context Luke 16:20-31}

If God rain extraordinary miracles today, it would cause man pause temporarily, but in and of itself, miracles will not change the heart of man. It will only cause man to seek more miracles, more signs.

Good Day and God Bless

I'm trying to find some specific occurences in the Old Testament but am having some difficulty finding well, anything.

As many occurences as you can find would be great. Thanks in advance for your time and aid. :)

Richard, you may be looking at the forest and missing the trees. Keep in mind that anything that cause you to stray away from God, becomes your master instead of God. Although there may not be a specific or tangible idol that replaces God; whatever entity, being, practice or thought may be the vehicle that causes you to stray from God. Thus, that vehicle is your master, that is what you covet and that is your Idol. Such is confirm by stripture:

Ephesians 5:5. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

So, if covetousness =/+ idolatry = apostacy, God really hate them. I think this is why 1st commandment and the last (10th) commandment are the same; they both warn us not to serve another god.

Good Day and God Bless

This is because Signs, Miracles, Sign Gifts or even spiritual gifts will not save man. Gifts only gives validity to the source (confirms authority), thus sign gifts were given to many during the apostolic years of the New Church, such was use to confirm their word.

Mark 16:17-20. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

I agree w/ Illinijag's commentary. But not to his source :) Sounds weird? Hehe, let me explain. I've noticed Illinijag's objectivity and I have no doubt he would appreciate this. The verses he quoted might not be part of the original scriptures. This is out of topic but we as bible students should know this:

From a footnote from the New King James Version:

Verses 9–20 are bracketed in NU-Text as not original. They are lacking in Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus, although nearly all other manuscripts of Mark contain them
SOURCE: BibleGateway.com - PassageLookup: Mark 16 ;

From the New American Bible:

[9-20] This passage, termed the Longer Ending to the Marcan gospel by comparison with a much briefer conclusion found in some less important manuscripts, has traditionally been accepted as a canonical part of the gospel and was defined as such by the Council of Trent. Early citations of it by the Fathers indicate that it was composed by the second century, although vocabulary and style indicate that it was written by someone other than Mark.
SOURCE: http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/mark/mark16.htm

I believe the New International Bible (on the hard copy), would have a similar notation.

I agree w/ Illinijag's commentary. But not to his source :) Sounds weird? Hehe, let me explain. I've noticed Illinijag's objectivity and I have no doubt he would appreciate this. The verses he quoted might not be part of the original scriptures. This is out of topic but we as bible students should know this:

From a footnote from the New King James Version:

Verses 9–20 are bracketed in NU-Text as not original. They are lacking in Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus, although nearly all other manuscripts of Mark contain them
SOURCE: BibleGateway.com - PassageLookup: Mark 16 ;

From the New American Bible:

[9-20] This passage, termed the Longer Ending to the Marcan gospel by comparison with a much briefer conclusion found in some less important manuscripts, has traditionally been accepted as a canonical part of the gospel and was defined as such by the Council of Trent. Early citations of it by the Fathers indicate that it was composed by the second century, although vocabulary and style indicate that it was written by someone other than Mark.
SOURCE: USCCB - NAB - Mark 16

I believe the New International Bible (on the hard copy), would have a similar notation.

Thanks John_Jervis that is some Interesting info. However, Consider this:

2 Timothy 3:16. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Matthew 10:29. Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

God is sovereign over all, even the error that is produced by man. Had God not wanted such passage to be in the KJV, HE would not have allowed it. My faith in the KJV and all the God has allowed to be printed therein is what I will rest my source upon. To question a portion, one must questioned the whole; for He has said, a little leaven effect not a portion, but leaveneth the whole lump (1 Corinthians 5:6).

I don't doubt the scholars, their views, research and data. However, I will continue to be a fool who follows the written word. Although I have many Bible versions, I hold the KJV to be supreme; and in all that I have read and applied from it, I have found NO lack.

Again, God control all things. Sin, error, good or bad are all as a petition that must be presented before God for His approval, prior to such being done. So, if what you say is true, God too approved this added passage.

Good Day and God Bless

I don't doubt the scholars, their views, research and data. However, I will continue to be a fool who follows the written word. Although I have many Bible versions, I hold the KJV to be supreme; and in all that I have read and applied from it, I have found NO lack.

While I do not claim Mark 16:9-20 is not inspired & I think the KJV is one of the best translations (especially since you can use it with the Strong's Concordance so easily), I do not think I would go so far as to say it is "supreme" to all others.

I respect all your opinions folks. I submit to the rules of this forum :)

But I do have one verse to share:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:18

It is possible for someone to add words to inspired scripture. That's why God gave this warning. So, if we find something not found in the original manuscripts, well, I'd be suspicious.

I respect all your opinions folks. I submit to the rules of this forum :)

But I do have one verse to share:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:18

It is possible for someone to add words to inspired scripture. That's why God gave this warning. So, if we find something not found in the original manuscripts, well, I'd be suspicious.

Excellent point John, I also take this to mean that we all must accurately convey God words without adding our personal want and desires to it. I also think if we seek Gods will, delight in HIM, Abide in Him...HE will protect us from all that are out to harm us.

Good day and God Bless

While I do not claim Mark 16:9-20 is not inspired & I think the KJV is one of the best translations (especially since you can use it with the Strong's Concordance so easily), I do not think I would go so far as to say it is "supreme" to all others.

What (might I ask) is your preferred translation?

Good Day and God Bless

I do not claim one Bible translation is more superior than another & I think we have let this discussion get off topic. I'll send you a PM & let you know Biblical preferences so we do not derail the OP's original concern any further.

Agreed.

Good Day and God Bless

First, I agree with John, The Book of Judges is the best example of those who fail away.

Thus, we have the complete word of God, which is greater than signs, even miracles.

2 Peter 1:18-19. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Jesus also confirmed that miracles wouldn't save man, only his word. Salvation is a heart change, done only through faith, not miracles.

Matthew 12:38-39. Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Luke 16:31. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets (God's Word), neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead (A Miracle).{read in context Luke 16:20-31}

If God rain extraordinary miracles today, it would cause man pause temporarily, but in and of itself, miracles will not change the heart of man. It will only cause man to seek more miracles, more signs.

Good Day and God Bless

Excellent post! I agree 100%.

Major

Thanks John_Jervis that is some Interesting info. However, Consider this:

2 Timothy 3:16. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Matthew 10:29. Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

God is sovereign over all, even the error that is produced by man. Had God not wanted such passage to be in the KJV, HE would not have allowed it. My faith in the KJV and all the God has allowed to be printed therein is what I will rest my source upon. To question a portion, one must questioned the whole; for He has said, a little leaven effect not a portion, but leaveneth the whole lump (1 Corinthians 5:6).

Again, God control all things. Sin, error, good or bad are all as a petition that must be presented before God for His approval, prior to such being done. So, if what you say is true, God too approved this added passage.

Good Day and God Bless

Once again, I agree with you. Amen!

The story of Moses and those who he was called to lead.

Exodus 20:22-26
22 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites this: 'You have seen for yourselves that I have spoken to you from heaven: 23 Do not make any gods to be alongside me; do not make for yourselves gods of silver or gods of gold. 24 " 'Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, b]" class="footnote">[b] your sheep and goats and your cattle. Wherever I cause my name to be honored, I will come to you and bless you. 25 If you make an altar of stones for me, do not build it with dressed stones, for you will defile it if you use a tool on it. 26 And do not go up to my altar on steps, lest your nakedness be exposed on it.'

Uncircumcised hearts (Lev 26:41), only an uncircumcised heart, the heart of unbelief that departs from the living God.

Thus the promise of the new covenant was procephied by the prophets. Ezekiel 11:19 and Ezekiel 36:24-29, Jeremiah 31:31-35

Back