Need Help

godbe4me

Unavailable
Staff Member on LOA
Need Help

Hello everyone,
I was over to my mother's house today and we all got into a discussion about food and what we would or would not eat. That lead to John the Baptist and the kinds of food he ate. Now, it was said that John the Baptist was a Nazirite and Samson. I asked what was a Nazirite and was told it was in the Bible. Before sending this thread out I looked in the back of my bible and did not see any word Nazirite. I have never heard of that word. I am the first to admit that I don't know the whole Bible. It may be one of the Books I have not read yet. Can someone answer these questions?

1. What is a Nazirite
  2. Where is it found in the Bible
  3. Where did the word come from
Or, was he pulling my leg?
Thanks,
Godbe4me

Hi godbe4me!
Yep, Mom, (or who ever said it.) was right.

Look at Luke 1:13-15

A Nazarite (nazir) is a Jew who had taken the ascetic vow.
(see Numbers 6:1-21 )
It means that he was consecrated.

John liked his locus dipped in honey, but he was not a wine drinker!! :D

I’m reminded of a while ago at a friends wedding reception. The table next to us were talking about the Bible and they started talking about a phrase… “superfluity of naughtiness”
Well… our table jumped in on the conversation. That is an odd saying. Most of us never heard of it, and the guy who brought it up said he heard someone talk about it being in the Bible, but no one knew where it was or what it meant.
I had to find it as soon as I got home. That’s just who I am… I need to know stuff.

Jas 1:21
Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

I learned it is in the KJV, and basically it means… really, really, naughty.

Found it!!!!

Although I believe "Ride4theson" got it before me. Thank you so much for helping me through this. I just had to find that word in the Bible. My grandmother always told me that if a person tells you something biblical and cannot give you chapter and verse dismiss it. I did find that it was used in the Old Testament

Amos 2:11-12

11) I made some of your children to be prophets and some of your young people to be Nazirites. People of Israel, isn't this true? says the Lord.
12) But you made the Nazirites drink wine and told the prophets not to prophecy.

Thanks for the help and quick response.

Godbe4me:jesus-sign:

Back