Need recipe for Johnnie Cake

Dusty

Inactive
Need recipe for Johnnie Cake

Otherwise , I guess is is called corn meal bread. If any of you southerners have one . I would appreciate it. Thanks

This is the most authentic one I could find...personally, I just buy 2 boxes of JIFFY cornbread muffins, and instead of making cornmuffins, I mix both together and bake in a cast-iron pan that has been coated with lots of butter.

CORNMEAL JOHNNY CAKES
2 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup cornmeal

Slowly add the cornmeal to the boiling water and cook for five minutes. Add the sugar, butter and salt. Pour into a buttered ovenproof baking dish and finish cooking in the oven.

ENJOY!

Thanks Kitsap girl.... I love corn meal and sometimes just make porrage with it.:) I use it instead of flour when doing fish or chicken or pork chops.

I have a good Johnny cake recipe somewhere. I think it is still packed. :(:confused: My recipe fry's them on the stove in oil, similar to making a pancake. Then I make homemade apple sauce with them....... and put butter and applesauce on top of the Johnnycakes.

I have a good Johnny cake recipe somewhere. I think it is still packed. :(:confused: My recipe fry's them on the stove in oil, similar to making a pancake. Then I make homemade apple sauce with them....... and put butter and applesauce on top of the Johnnycakes.

That sounds good . My mouth is watering.;)

Back