New-ageism Sneaking Into Christian Lyrics?

New-ageism Sneaking Into Christian Lyrics?

I can't help noticing a new trend in Christian music today.

there seems to be a lot more lyrics about this kind of general love of mankind and this and that ... and far less about God, the Gospel, and other Biblical issues.

Any thoughts?

If it's encouraging love, it's only promoting a more Christlike perspective right? For the people who'd shut it off if they heard Jesus' name...

If they go to far though, I dunno. It can't be all they hear that we are fine on our own.

New Age is only old age rehashed. One thing to remember though Satan's religions are just a cheap imitation of the real. We have the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us they have "spirit guides"- etc.

:goodpost: Brother Bo ---exactly!!! :amen:

Yes, SGT, I thoroughly believe that not only New (old) age...;) but just plain hedonism is all over the christian gospel and praise and worship music today. As ministers in our churches we must choose God-fearing songs that honor and bring glory to Him. I am afraid that there are much more of the former than the later in our churches today. There are hardly any songs about the blood of Jesus or the Cross of Calvary; let alone any song on resurrection or His coming again...very few!!!

I believe the only songs worth singing for "time of worship" are songs of:
prayer (seeking forgiveness, confession and repentance-my favorite.),
commitment and dedication (statement of faith and trust),
adoration, (worthy are You Lord)
thanks, (thanks)
praise ( giving love and praise to God, Our Father) and
songs of community (we believe...)
(Please add to this if I have left something out; this is just off the top of my head and heart)
I can say that if it doesn't fit in one of these categories
AND has some scriptural reference, relevance and reality then it is not worth singing!

Just a few of my favorites: (oldies not moldies:D) Easy for congregational singing and worshipful/praise-filled in case you are looking for a few new/old songs that really glorify God IMHO:p)
Only by Grace
Take me in (to the holy of holies)
Heart of Worship
Power of His Love
Shout to the Lord
We believe (Graham Kendrick)
Knowing You (Jesus...GK also)
You are awesome in this place
Change my heart oh God
Purify my heart
Refiner's fire
Oh Lord your'e beautiful (Keith Green)
There is a Redeemer
When I look into Your Holiness
You are my hiding place (2 melodies; both nice)
Show me Your ways
Eagles Wings (Reuben Morgan)
Holy and Anointed One (John Barnett)
On Bended knee (Robert Gay0
Be Magnified (Lynn DeShazo)

OK, there are a few more than a few but I have MANY more, some of my own originals (By His Stripes, Throne of Grace, By Your Grace, I delight in Your presence Oh Lord, etc.:p) that are much more appropriate for leading the congregation in worship. This is an awesome responsibility and should not be a "show"..Praising and worshipping God is serious business.

I would suggest a few things that we should avoid at all cost as we choose songs and lead congregations in worship.
This is not an exhaustive list:D:

1-don't offer strange fire in the tabernacle.
Leviticus 10:1-2

1And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not.
2And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

2-dress appropriately
Exodus 28:31-35
31And thou shalt make the robe of the ephod all of blue.
32And there shall be an hole in the top of it, in the midst thereof: it shall have a binding of woven work round about the hole of it, as it were the hole of an habergeon, that it be not rent.
33And beneath upon the hem of it thou shalt make pomegranates of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, round about the hem thereof; and bells of gold between them round about:
34A golden bell and a pomegranate, a golden bell and a pomegranate, upon the hem of the robe round about.
35And it shall be upon Aaron to minister: and his sound shall be heard when he goeth in unto the holy place before the LORD, and when he cometh out, that he die not.

As you could see, we could discuss this topic in some length and depth; THANK GOD for Jesus, Our High Priest who has made intercession/ atonement for us with His own blood (Hebrews 10) Hallelujah!!!

Jesus knows there hearts,no problem.but we do need to tell people to read the bible,the worlds best kept secret.:eek:

I can't help noticing a new trend in Christian music today.

there seems to be a lot more lyrics about this kind of general love of mankind and this and that ... and far less about God, the Gospel, and other Biblical issues.

Any thoughts?

I've noticed this...

On one hand, I like it because it doesn't turn non belivers off so quickly...they even embrace it

On the other, some of it is abosolutely shocking! It goes beyond being covert to being ungodly altogether.

One of the songs I turn off immediately because it rubs me as wrong is a Point of Grace song...

the chorus:

Turn up the music
Turn it up loud
Take a few chances
Let it all out
You won't regret it
Lookin' back from where you have been
Cuz it's not who you knew
And it's not what you did
It's how you live

Here's the rub...

It IS WHO you know, and He does look at what you did.

I get the song, it is just that it seems to hint (if not outright say it) that if you've lived a good life, and done the right things then that is all that matters...

Back