NEW and have a question

NEW and have a question

Hi everyone new here
this is my daily struggle, i pray that God will show me the way.
might be making to much of this, but im just wondering if anyone may have a better knowledge or understanding of this so as to help me?

here goes...
i'm 16year old Christian, and also a local community/political activist for social reform. I am a vegetarian because i choose to eat healthier and feel that i have a duty to show compassion for all of God's creatures. I feel that being a christian should not hinder my mentality and and hope for a better tomorrow, but rather help me understand who i really work for, God ... not any man or his evil corporate conglomerates!

the problem...
that being said my older sister (26) is an extreme right wing conservative and thinks that i am a punk (i guess she feels that she has no duty to our planet)
she gets angry and tells me that i should find a good youth group instead of a political group with my friends (whom she also despises because most of them are Buddhist or atheist)
yet she does not understand that even though we may share different beliefs we are all still working to the greater good, i have even changed many of their minds about Christianity, they come to church with me at times to get a better understanding, and i go to their services to observe and better understand their cultural practices

even though i feel my faith is strong and that no one is trying to convert me, she says it doesn't matter because im breaking the 1st and 2nd commandments by doing this

i have a lot of respect for my sister, yet i wish i could say the same for her

she is starting to use The Bible against me and my life style (which i think my life is extremely righteous) yet
she says: Romans14:2, One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

And, she also uses Romans 13
1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.
2 Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of him who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval,
4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain; he is the servant of God to execute his wrath on the wrongdoer.
5 Therefore one must be subject, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

the list could go on and on. Is she misinterpreting the biblical quotes? is she right? am i wrong? what to do? what to do? im so CONFUSED and frustrated. i have even catch myself questioning my beliefs at times. which i am ashamed of but just being honest, and for that i am afraid of going to anyone for help including my parents (they agree with my sister). this is my daily struggle, i pray that God will show me the way.

PLEASE HELP
anyone???

she says: Romans14:2, One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

I think the quote says that your faith _allows_ you to eat everything. but not that you _have_ to. You are choosing not to, even though you very well can.

even though i feel my faith is strong and that no one is trying to convert me, she says it doesn't matter because im breaking the 1st and 2nd commandments by doing this

Now I may be wrong, but are the first 2 Commandments "Have no other god before Me." and "Love thy neighbor as you's love yourself." ? If so then unless you are following the gods your friends follow and worshipping them. I don't see how you can be breaking the first one. and by respecting your friends beliefs and attempting to understand what they believe while teaching them about Christ seems to actually FOLLOW the second Commandment.

1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

Again I may be wrong, but is not part of the Government of our country that we the people can push for reforms when needed? if so then you are just taking part in what the instituted government is made of.

I hope I've helped and just warn you to be carefull for I'm no... well anything when it comes to government. :D

I think it is very simple~
Always put God first and make spreading His word priority in your life~
What you do beyond that, as long as it does not offend God, is your own business.

Just be careful. You are called to be salt and as such you are to give flavour to all you do and touch. Just don't let their demonic religion to infiltrate or influence your thoughts.

thanks everyone

thanks for the help... my sis is very hard headed and i know she just want to shelter me from the social element that she feels may be detrimental to me at a vulnerable age... i am going to try and talk 2 her again, I'll even use some of the pointers u guys gave me. All i want is to have her understand or at least accept me for the person that i know God has set out for me to be. thank you! you guys have taken a huge weight off my back by not judging me and telling me that I'm completely wrong like everyone else that i try 2 talk to about this.:D

I am sure I can speak for all here when I say it was a pleasure talking to you iExist!:D:):cool:

Hi everyone new here
this is my daily struggle, i pray that God will show me the way.
might be making to much of this, but im just wondering if anyone may have a better knowledge or understanding of this so as to help me?

here goes...
i'm 16year old Christian, and also a local community/political activist for social reform. I am a vegetarian because i choose to eat healthier and feel that i have a duty to show compassion for all of God's creatures. I feel that being a christian should not hinder my mentality and and hope for a better tomorrow, but rather help me understand who i really work for, God ... not any man or his evil corporate conglomerates!

the problem...
that being said my older sister (26) is an extreme right wing conservative and thinks that i am a punk (i guess she feels that she has no duty to our planet)
she gets angry and tells me that i should find a good youth group instead of a political group with my friends (whom she also despises because most of them are Buddhist or atheist)
yet she does not understand that even though we may share different beliefs we are all still working to the greater good, i have even changed many of their minds about Christianity, they come to church with me at times to get a better understanding, and i go to their services to observe and better understand their cultural practices

i have a lot of respect for my sister, yet i wish i could say the same for her

she is starting to use The Bible against me and my life style (which i think my life is extremely righteous) yet

2 Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of him who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval,
4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain; he is the servant of God to execute his wrath on the wrongdoer.
5 Therefore one must be subject, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

the list could go on and on. Is she misinterpreting the biblical quotes? is she right? am i wrong? what to do? what to do? im so CONFUSED and frustrated. i have even catch myself questioning my beliefs at times. which i am ashamed of but just being honest, and for that i am afraid of going to anyone for help including my parents (they agree with my sister). this is my daily struggle, i pray that God will show me the way.

PLEASE HELP
anyone???

While association with athiest ,and other religous orders is indeed a dangerous thing to be doing it is not against or breaking any commandment.It does however leave one vunarable to confussion and compromize and even departure from the faith when entered into by those weak in faith. In that respect I share your family's concern for you and your eternal welfare as you have expressed a weakness of faith already in this posting.

Romans 14,2 is not speaking of literal food.

When we put it back into context especialy with the verses following it in Romans it is apearent that it is speaking of spiritual meat and that we are not to judge or condem those who are able to eat of either the strong meat or the weaker nourshments.

And when we go to other related scripture we see that it is not what we eat that matters but what we say and we are not to judge others by what they eat either literaly or spiritualy.

Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

1Co 8:8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
Mar 7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

And in the book of Daniel we see that vegetarian diet is chosen over the Kings meat and the LORD gave them wisdom and understanding, not condemnation or judgment.

Attempting change within a system that is set up to accomadate such efforts cannot be judged by any reasonable person as disobediance to governing authority.

Sincerely
Cliff

Back