new member/christian

Hey all. I'm a 27 y.o. guy from Melbourne, Australia. I grew up going to both a Catholic and a Baptist church, but the whole family "grew away" from the church in my early teens, and I saw no reason to believe, so I became at various times an atheist but mostly an agnostic. For a while at the end of high school some people tried to evangelise me, and I "played along" for a little while, but I didn't believe it. I'm often described as "(one of) the smartest people I know". I don't claim it to be true, I have no particular reason to believe its true, but you might get an idea of my personality from that...

But I've been thinking about metaphysics and religion over the last couple years, and two weeks ago I realised that I thought the Bible was the Word of God. I already thought it was almost certainly the case that God existed, had created the world for our benefit, and therefore had probably tried to communicate with us.

Since about then, I've been reading the Bible morning and evenings. I've read the whole New Testament, and in the Old Testament I just finished Leviticus this morning.

But because I've come to Christ via the Internet, and because I'm not really good with meeting crowds of new people, I don't have a church. I don't know if anyone can help me about with advice...

I can't believe the Catholic Church's claims about the Pope—I don't see it in the Bible, nor reflected in the behavior of 1st millenium Chrisitianity. And I don't really see anything that justifies the Catholic or Orthodox "universalist" claims: that you have to be a member of their communion to be saved. In fact, I recall a story in the gospels where Jesus basically says belief, not institutional unity, is the important thing (Mark 9:38-9:41). Because of the nature of those communions, I don't think I can join them while rejecting those kinds of claims.

I have no real understanding of what distinguishes all the various protestant groups...

Welcome cassowary to CFS. I myself am nondenominational. I found a church that does not sugar coat any part of Gods word . The Pastor has to tell the truth no matter how much it will convict you. When you feel convicted by the word then you are in the right place. Because your heart will let you know. If you leave that morning with a warm fuzzy happy go lucky feeling then find another 1. Look on the churches in your area. Sometime you will need to try a few to find the right 1 4 u
But hey! nice to see you here. We r here to help in any way we can my brother from another mother from down under heheheheheeh:D
Chili out.

Thanks Chili (if I can call you that), your advice sounds like what I think!—except I struggle being surrounded by people I don't know. What does it mean to be "nondenominational"?

Thanks Chili (if I can call you that), your advice sounds like what I think!—except I struggle being surrounded by people I don't know. What does it mean to be "nondenominational"?
Hey all. I'm a 27 y.o. guy from Melbourne, Australia. I grew up going to both a Catholic and a Baptist church, but the whole family "grew away" from the church in my early teens, and I saw no reason to believe, so I became at various times an atheist but mostly an agnostic. For a while at the end of high school some people tried to evangelise me, and I "played along" for a little while, but I didn't believe it. I'm often described as "(one of) the smartest people I know". I don't claim it to be true, I have no particular reason to believe its true, but you might get an idea of my personality from that...

But I've been thinking about metaphysics and religion over the last couple years, and two weeks ago I realised that I thought the Bible was the Word of God. I already thought it was almost certainly the case that God existed, had created the world for our benefit, and therefore had probably tried to communicate with us.

Since about then, I've been reading the Bible morning and evenings. I've read the whole New Testament, and in the Old Testament I just finished Leviticus this morning.

But because I've come to Christ via the Internet, and because I'm not really good with meeting crowds of new people, I don't have a church. I don't know if anyone can help me about with advice...

I can't believe the Catholic Church's claims about the Pope—I don't see it in the Bible, nor reflected in the behavior of 1st millenium Chrisitianity. And I don't really see anything that justifies the Catholic or Orthodox "universalist" claims: that you have to be a member of their communion to be saved. In fact, I recall a story in the gospels where Jesus basically says belief, not institutional unity, is the important thing (Mark 9:38-9:41). Because of the nature of those communions, I don't think I can join them while rejecting those kinds of claims.

I have no real understanding of what distinguishes all the various protestant groups...
welcome enjoy this is a good forum only joined a while ago
it helps to mix with other christians of all faiths thats what makes us what we are god bless

It means that you are not Catholic, Protestant, Lutheran, Episcopal, ect. Just God faith loving group that worships the Lord in truth :D

Hey did I tell you Merry Christmas ? Well I just did heheheheehehhehehehehe

Hi Cassowary,

Welcome from another Aussie - both to CFS, and more importantly to the family of God. I'm also in Vic, out in the country about 150 kms east of Melbourne.

Congratulations on getting straight into the Word! It is the best foundation you could have for your Christian life.

You certainly need to fellowship with other believers so that you can grow in your new faith, but don't rush in to joining a church. Take time to try the waters, test whether the church you visit is teaching the truth of the Word (as best you are able) and whether they are walking in the things they teach. That doesn't mean it has to be perfect - you will never find the perfect church, because they are all full of imperfect people - but that both the leadership and the people should be sincerely seeking to follow the Lord Jesus Christ.

You have started on a great adventure. The Christian life is the most exciting there is - after all, the King of the universe is now your best friend. What could be better than that?

blessings,

Lynn

Welcome, Cassowary. I have fellowshipped in a variety of protestant denominational and non-denominational churches and have been edified in all of them. In all of them I found sincere Christians striving to serve God, as well as the spiritually dead serving their own purposes. I would be wary of any church that insisted that you could only be a Christian if you join their particular fellowship or denomination. What has always served as my ballast to keep me on an even keel is my own study of the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit's guidance and discernment. May God open your eyes to understand His Word as you study it and grant you discernment in your search for service and fellowship.

Well, it seems everyone here is "nondenominational" even if they attend a "denominational" church :) Thanks for your advice. I did notice in Mark's account of the gospel an interesting dialogue between John and Jesus which seems to speak against the Catholic idea of being the only church:

9:38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.
9:41 For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

But this is moderated by the very many other verses which remind us that not all who claim to belong to Christ, do; and not all who say they're preaching the Gospel, are.

It means that you are NOT affliliated with a known church doctinal belief...ie. Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Assembly of God.

Welcome to the forums cassowary :)

Great to have you here! I live in Melbourne too :) Following the true word of God is all that we need to do in order to walk in obedience. I do attend a church that is pentecostal - which believes/acts and follows with the Holy Spirit.

HOpe you enjoy your stay here...

God Bless

Hello and welcome!

Good to hear you have come to Christ. :)

Christian fellowship is very important, especially as the end days approach (Heb 10:25).

As a Christian you must listen for the voice of The Holy Spirit (John 10:27). He will lead you and give you inner confirmation on where He wants you to felowship. Our lives are pre-planned (Eph 2:10).

Back