New to the bible

Hi! So I was raised Catholic but honestly feel like I don't know much about my religion. We didn't go to church or talk much about religion in my house. I want to get closer to God and learn what I can. I figured that reading the bible is a good place to start but I'm finding it very confusing. Someone said it is probably because of the version I have, I think it's king James if that makes sense(I'm clueless lol). So my question is what version should I be reading? Are there any other books that you would recommend? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Marissa - as a non-denominational teaching Pastor, my students worldwide use the New Living Translation (NLT) for every day reading. It is worded as accurately as the King James Version is, but is written in modern English for clarity and better understanding.

You may receive other suggestions here as well, however in 2009, my volunteer staff of instructors evaluated all currently available English language bible versions and the NLT was found to be as accurate as the King James Version and substantially more understandable.

Blessings and nice to have you with us here at CFS.

We also ask that you familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules located here:

http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/forum-rules.29546/

Hi! So I was raised Catholic but honestly feel like I don't know much about my religion. We didn't go to church or talk much about religion in my house. I want to get closer to God and learn what I can. I figured that reading the bible is a good place to start but I'm finding it very confusing. Someone said it is probably because of the version I have, I think it's king James if that makes sense(I'm clueless lol). So my question is what version should I be reading? Are there any other books that you would recommend? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I agree with using NLT (New Living Translation). New King James Version is also good. The best advice I could give you is get the NLT Study Bible. It has references and explanation and background info for individual verses and topics as well.

One way to keep your studying fresh is to research topics that interest you. Just type in a search engine such as bing.com something like "scripture on arguing" or whatever topic you want. Sites such as http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Arguing/
or
https://www.openbible.info/topics/arguing
are good ones to check out because they just give you tons of verses which have something to do with the topic, in this case "arguing".
Then look these up in your Bible to read them in the context of the chapter they are in. Certain verses will start to speak to you and you are on your way. Often you will find something else within these readings which will send you on another search for that topic. You will soon understand how God speaks to you through His Word.

All of the recommendations are good but ... I would add that you are on a good track coming out here and asking, it would also be a good idea to get a mentor ... join a Bible study, et al. While there are wildly differing opinions on Catholicism, I'm relatively certain that, like most churches, there are people in there who have accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior ... and some who have not. As a pastor once told me, Christians are like BellyButtons, there are Innies and Outies ... and all the rest is details (that said, he was vastly well versed in the Word and taught with great authority). So my suggestion, in addition to selecting an easier to read Bible ... would be to find one or more mentors. It helped me a great deal.
One last comment on Bible versions, while there are some fringe Bibles that are heresy, most are quite good. Only problem with the King James is that the english it translated into was quite comfortable to people centuries ago ... and thus is not terribly comfortable for us today. So its theology is rock solid, its readability not quite so much.

Depending on your technology level, the You Version Bible app (and I'm sure that there are others) can provide numerous versions free of charge and you can download them so you can read them on airplanes et al. As for some who are hesitant to use technology when reading God's word ... I remind them that Mighty God handed down the law to Moses on .... tablets.

My first question would be: Are you "Saved"; Are you "Born Again"; Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your LORD and Savior?

You may have been taught this question comes from some sort of 'kooky cult'; but then I would suggest that you refer to Christ's own Words:

John 3:
1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

If you are a Born Again, Saved "Saint" Adopted Child of God: The Holy Spirit will guide you to understanding the Bible.

Hi marissa90,

Welcome & it is great to see that you desire to know more of the Lord & His word. I suggest you start with the book of Mark as it is a short book & quite pacey, showing what Jesus did. It will help you to understand Him & His character. For us to get to know someone there needs to be a relationship of trust built. So as you get to know Jesus as He was on earth (in the book of Mark) then it will also help you to trust Him in your everyday life.

All the best, & I am here to listen & help, or you can PM (private message) me.

Marilyn.

All I know is I do believe in God, I've always called myself Catholic I just feel like I don't know enough about it.

Stop being religious and seek after Jesus Christ; not Mary:

Mark 3:
31There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him.
32And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.
33And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?
34And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
35For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

John 2:
3 And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.

Luke 1:
38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.
46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord
47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.
50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.
51 He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.
53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
54 He hath helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy;
55 As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.

Matthew 23:
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

John 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Luke 11:
27 And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.
28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

See Mark 7 and Matthew 15 about what Jesus has to say about Tradition (Religion) over God's Word

Last edited:
Back