New to this, how to proceed?

C

Christiann

New to this, how to proceed?

Hi,

I am new to Christianity, so I am wondering what the Christian (spiritual) practices are. I take it meditation and other eastern stuff are demonic and are strictly forbidden. So is prayer the only practice that's allowed in Christianity?

I am asking because there's nowhere else to turn.

Chris

Hi Chris congratulations on receiving Jesus Christ as your savior and Lord!!!

If I was in your shoes I would do the following:

Get a bible and read the New Testament several times.
Generally speaking you will find the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) are about God reaching out to a lost world through His Son Jesus Christ. Most of the messages Jesus gave were to lost folks and practicing Jewish folks.
The Book of Acts is the story of the birth of the church
The rest is God's love letter to the church and includes, instruction, wisdom and solid doctrine to build on.
The Bible is God's Word to us and contains the very Words of life so it is essential.

Find a good bible believing church and start attending services and Sunday School.

Pray- pray is not ritual or formula but it is learning to talk to God and fellowship with Him. Expressing your hopes, fears needs and communing with Him can become quite natural to those who spend the time getting to know Him.

Worship- find a good worship CD and spend some time singing and pouring your heart out to God and you will find Him pouring His love out on you.

Spending some time at CFS or another Christian Forum is also a great way to learn. Do not get confused by the different "flavors" of Christianity as God speaks to different folks different ways and different groups have different functions within the church. This leads to these different groups having some different ways of looking at some things but rest assured that though the church is not completely untied in doctrine we are united in Spirit and purpose serving the Lord Jesus Christ with all our hearts.

So if I had to sum all this up- invest your time in getting to know God and His Word, it's like finding new treasure daily. Even though I have been walking with Christ many years it is more exciting and rewarding every day.
Again my friend welcome to the family of Jesus Christ.:)

Christianity is a relationship. Talk to God just like talking to your earthly father. You can also sing praises to him as singing is considered one of the highest form of prayer. He will surely understand your needs.

I am new to Christianity, so I am wondering what the Christian (spiritual) practices are. I take it meditation and other eastern stuff are demonic and are strictly forbidden. So is prayer the only practice that's allowed in Christianity?
Hello Christiann

Personally, I do not view any Eastern religious practices or meditation as 'demonic', in the literal sense. Because I was raised multicultural, I have come to respect all religions (though that does not mean I practice them, nor do I condone them as 'right').

We can 'meditate', in a sense, on God's word. It might not be meditating into a deep state, but 'meditating' in the metaphorical sense of the word - banishing all the evil from the mind and replacing only with the good. God says to think of all things which are beautiful and lovely, think not on things which are displeasing or ugly.

I do not consider prayer as a 'practice' but yes, it is generally accepted as a means with communicating and conversing with the LORD. A prayer does not have to long or fancy - a prayer can be anything from a discussion to a pleading for help. I believe a prayer should be sincerely from the heart, not just words on the tongue. You can say it aloud, to yourself, write it down...whatever works for you, do it!

-NTG

The word "Christian" means "Christ-like." So, being a Christian means learning about Christ and trying to act, talk, and live like Him. You can accomplish this by praying, reading your Bible, going to church, visiting this forum, reading devotional books, chatting with other Christians, etc. Remember, if you've asked Christ to save you, you are saved and nothing can change that! These things are to help your Christian growth, not to "keep you saved." Another place I would recommend is my blog, A Word Fitly Spoken, which you can find by clicking the link in my signature. This is a free resource where you can read verses and devotionals, watch Christian videos, post comments, etc. If you need more help, I'd be happy to help you in any way I can.

Congratulations and welcome to the family. Right now, you are a brand new baby Christian.

On my ministry sight I have a posting called "Hey I'm a believer now." It's on my page and it'll give you some very comprehensive and biblical information on where to go from here.
WIREDYOUTHMINISTRIESINC

Blessings !

Pastor Glenn

i would read what Jesus says,Jesus says that to worship God is to walk spiritually,ie follow Christs ways.some people worship in diffrent ways ,which is up to them,but true worship is to follow Gods ways.you could be the most intelligent man/women ever.but his ways are true.:smiley10:welcome to the forum.

Praise God in Christ

Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to everyone generously without a rebuke, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7

You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. James 4:3

One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD And to meditate in His temple. Psalm 27:4

For if you cry for discernment, Lift your voice for understanding; If you seek her as silver And search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will discern the fear of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God. Proverbs 2:5

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have ransomed me, O LORD, God of truth. Psalm 31:5

I will meditate on Your precepts And regard Your ways. Psalm 119:15

Make me know Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. Psalm 25:4

I will meditate on all Your work And muse on Your deeds. Psalm 77:12

On the glorious splendor of Your majesty And on Your wonderful works, I will meditate. Psalm 145:5

Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love. Psalm 48:9

For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes, And I have walked in Your truth. Psalm 26:3

Isaac went out to meditate in the field toward evening; and he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, camels were coming. Genesis 24:63

My eyes anticipate the night watches, That I may meditate on Your word. Psalm 119:148

This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success. Joshua 1:8

My hands also will I lift up to your commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in your statutes. Psalm 119:48

May the arrogant be put to shame for wronging me without cause; but I will meditate on your precepts. Psalm 119:78

I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your doings; I muse on the work of Your hands. Psalm 143:5

Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees. NIV

Even though princes sit and talk against me, Your servant meditates on Your statutes. NASB Psalm 119:23

But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers. Psalm 1:2-3

Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day. Psalm 25:5

You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE. I Peter 5:5

Though He scoffs at the scoffers, Yet He gives grace to the afflicted. Proverbs 3:34

To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; I Peter 3:8

[food regulations]

These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence. Colossians 2:23

Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, Colossians 2:18

The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom, And before honor comes humility. Proverbs 15:33

He who neglects discipline despises himself, But he who listens to reproof acquires understanding. Proverbs 15:32

Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, But humility goes before honor. Proverbs 18:12

Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; Philippians 2:3

Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually. Psalm 105:4

prayer, meditation, fasting, repenting of sin, confessing them to God and forsaking them, totally depending on God's Spirit, for apart from Him you can do nothing, give God glory, seek His Righteousness and His Face

May God bless you, above all, seek Him Pray to Him, cry out for wisdom, trust not yourself but Him, don't look to your own righteousness to justify you or save you, but to His, and His death on the cross for your sins, His shed blood that cleanse you, and the Robe of His Righteousness that in love hides you in Him, and God sees you in Christ, and loves you and remembers your forgiven sins no more becaue He loves you, called you, and you came home, having been led to and seeking a savior; Jesus Christ who died for you, blessed beyond measure, deserving wrath but Christ took that, having no righteouness but Christ won that for you and acredited it to your acount through faith in Him. Looking on Him and believing yoou are saved and made a follower and doer of His Will, seeking Him and obeying Him and keeping close in your conversation with Him, taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, every proud, high thought that exalts itslef against the knowledge of God; His Word. But be renewed by the transforming of your mind, have the mind of Christ. Meditate on His Word, invite Him into your thoughts and moments and ask Him for wisdom frequently, ask Him to bring to rememberance His Word and teach you how to pray according to His Will and for grace to surrender more, and to remember that His Grace is sufficient and He doesn't aske you anything that His Grace won't supply the strength to accomplish, that He knows how th rescue the godly from temptation and He leaves a way for escape. Sin hardens the heart, be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's promptings, and when you're not - confess it to Him and ask Him to start a fire in you and give you a heart after His. When your flesh want s to rebel against God, ask Him to slaughter the sinful desire by His Spirit and put the evil deed to death. May God richly bless you in Christ Jesus, and i believe He has :)

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, don't take your eyes off Him, He will take you all the way home. If someone causes you to question and casts shadows on the sufficiency of Christ's sacrificial death and satisfaction of God's Justice, wrath, and righteous demands of God the Father on your behalf...it's time to walk. Hedd His warnings, but know they are for your good out of love, and if He paid the price for your sins which you could not do, then anything you ever could do will not do for paying the price for your sins so quit insulting Him and worship Him instead for His sacrafice and for being washed in the prescious blood of the Lamb...foolishness to the world but wisdom from God to those who believe. Our Passover Lamb has been sacrificed..

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2

At that time Jesus said, “I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. “Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight. “All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:25-30

Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. John 7:37

"For I satisfy the weary ones and refresh everyone who languishes." Jeremiah 31:25

Bless you

pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit; I Thessalonians 5:17-19

always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; Eph 5:20

but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. II Peter 3:18

see 'gospel of john' youtube

Back