Non-Christian Music in Church???

Non-Christian Music in Church???

I was at work the other day when the conversation came up about listening to non Christian songs and music in church. Like hanging out at the Church and listening to country music or rock music in the church. It is my belief that the church is the holy tabernacle of God. It is His house and we should not bring anything into His house that would defile it or make it lesser than what it is, God's house. They believe that it doesnt matter about that and said that it is just music, it doesnt matter what or where you listen to it.I listen to only Christian music. and i believe that if something, like country or rap or rock music, is not of God and i'm real close to calling it a sin. but who am i to say that listening to different types of music is sin. but i do know that the music you listen to and the things you hear affect you; they affect the way you think, feel, and behave. whether or not its a little bit or alot, it does affect you. so. here is my 2 questions: #1 Do you think it is ok to listen to non Christian music in Church? and #2 Do you think it is a sin to listen to non Christain music and does it really affect you as a person?

I would not want to listen to non Christian music in Church. The style of the worship has little to do with pleasing God but it should non the less be worship music .
I do occasionally listen to non Christina music (oldies) but for the most part I like to fill my mind with things that help me focus on my Lord and His goodness. Is listening to non Christian music sin- I do not think so HOWEVER- if you feel convicted not to listen and you do it may well be a sin for you. These are just my opinion. I pretty much base this of the discourse Paul gave here:

Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
Rom 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
Rom 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
Rom 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Rom 14:15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
Rom 14:16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
Rom 14:18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
Rom 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
Rom 14:20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Rom 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
Rom 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

I agree that the style has nothing to do with the content. You can have soft secular music or hard 'n heavy Christian music. I only buy Christian artists, except for soundtrack music. I'll listen to secular music, but won't support the industry any further than that. But I would never listen to it in church. Neither would I watch secular movies in church (on a slighly related topic).

There is non-Christian music that I wouldn't call "sinful", but it shouldn't be used during a church service. I've heard non-Christian music used in church and didn't appreciate it. If it doesn't glorify the Lord, then it shouldn't be used.

What is non-christian music? Would that not be the lyrics? All things come from God:

Eph 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

So I would not label "music" as non-christian but I would label the lyrics non-christian. I jam on guitar. I play everything from gospel-country-classical-blues-thrash metal. This talent was given to me by God and I use that talent for God. Don't judge the music, judge the lyrics..

My $0.02

check all words for lies,there are many that are opposite scripture,the writers i assume don,t know.dodgy life we lead,even with no thought of calling God,you do if you have no knowledge,and obviously influenced by puppet master,satan is broad and very boring.spread the word.

check all words for lies,there are many that are opposite scripture,the writers i assume don,t know.dodgy life we lead,even with no thought of calling God,you do if you have no knowledge,and obviously influenced by puppet master,satan is broad and very boring.spread the word.

I understand what are you saying. But the topic is "Non-Christian music" I'm trying to understand what is it about music that makes it non-Christian unless it was the lyrics. Someone may write the most beautiful Christian song ever made, but let's say that person killed someone in cold blood. Does it make that song now non Christian?

That's my point. Music is made and created for God. Some people just have a different view of expressing themselves in music. I hate rap and Hip Hop music, but I respect the Christian performers. It's just not my cup of tea. But do I think just because I hate rap and hip hop that it's non-christian? Of course not!

no music type is anti christian unless calling God.just that people are unaware because they have not read the bible,instead they read newspapers and magazines.:eek:

#1 Do you think it is ok to listen to non Christian music in Church?

I would say it all depends upon your purpose. If I have to play a non-Christian song to make a point in a message or to explain what is going on in our culture, I would do it if the Holy Spirit allows. God doesn't say, "Thou shalt not play non-Christian music in church."

#2 Do you think it is a sin to listen to non Christain music and does it really affect you as a person?

I do not think it is necessarily a sin to listen to non-Christian music. As in most things, I listen to music critically. I listen for the worldview being presented and compare it to Scripture. There are Biblical truths in non-Christian music just as there are Biblical truths in almost all worldviews today. I believe it only affects me to the extent that I allow it. I'm sure there are Christians who do not listen critically and allow the ideas in non-Christian music to affect them negatively. For them it would be sin. God never says, "Thou shalt not listen to non-Christian music."

One just has to look at the lyrics and the artist expressing them. If theres no deliberate attack on God or anything offensive, then i dont see a problem listening to "non-christian" music in or out of church.

@ Atonement, yes, when i say "non-Christian music" i am judging the lyrics. not the genre or style of music.

and the guys at work i was talking about were not using the music in a service. they were just in a fellowship hall. using the church cd player to listen to rap and rock and other songs that were most definatly not giving glory to God with there lyrics.(to say the least).

Music is a VERY big part of my life. it always has been. i love music. . i feel that without a doubt that if you listen to a certain type of music it can affect your mood or attitude. im not talking about 1 song. im talkign about steadily listening to a type of music..

example: before i was saved. before football games i would listen to a heavy metal band called slipknot. it is very very bad message in the lyrics. but the lyrics along with the beat of the music got me pumped up.. made me want to hurt people..

likewise. when i am sad.. i listen to encouraging music. and it makes me feel better. it lifts my mood.

these are just 2 examples of many. of why i feel music affects you.

i listen to music for enjoyment. i sing along with music to give God praise..(im not good but the Bible only says to raise a "joyful noise" and thats all i can say i can offer. lol)

i also feel like God speaks through songs with positive and Christian themed lyrics. i have hundreds of songs on my mp3 player that are just Christian artists. i put it on shuffle so it gives me random songs...one nite after work i had a fight with my friend.. we left not speaking to each other and i was feeling horrible and i was resenting my friend.. well i wanted to listen to my mp3 player.. guess what.. i left it running and it went dead while i was at work.. so i had to use my radio.. so i turn it to KLOVE. its alittle fuzzy but comes through long enough for 1 song.. (even now i cannot tell you what song it was) then after that song i lost the station. so i turned it to AIR1. . it lasted for 1 song.. then back and forth i went from channel to channel. 1 song then another. and each song seemed like another step God was leading me down. helping me get through my problems that nite and leading me to forgive my friend and try and work things out.. each song had a msg for me.. i dont feel that way about songs every day.. you can tell when God's speaking to you.. when you hear a song a million times.. but for some reason this time.. you find yourself having to pull off the road b/c you cannot stop the tears...

anyways.. back on topic.

If you are listening to songs with Non-Christian or negative lyrics in church.. how in anyway is that praising,worshiping, or serving God in any way.. how is it giving glory to GOd? its not is it? well if its not doing any of those things.. why is it being alowed in a church where some one has the potential to be influenced for the devils sake b/c of it..?

Oh I understand, before I was a Christian, I also listend to hardcore music. Bands like: Canibal Corspe, Slayer, Deciced, Venom etc etc

Now I learned that thrash metal had a open door in the Christian world. If you like rock (like I do) hard and heavy. Try these below

Believer
Seventh Angel
White Cross
Vegence Rising (my fav.)
One bad pig (punk)

I have turned these bands on to many of my friends, and they were very surprised to learn that they were Christian bands. The music is fast, the music is hard, but the message is about a loving God sending His Son to die on that Cross to save us from our sins. Check em' out..

Out of the same mouths come praises and curses.

If it praises God, then hear it in His house. If it doesn't, it doesn't belong there.

At my house, I don't like rap music. When my nephews come to visit me, they know better than to crank up the stereo to Tupac or whatever his name is. I don't appreciate the lyrics or the messages in my house.

Same with God. God wants our praise and he wants us to worship Him, and only Him. I'm sure He doesn't want us bringing rap into His house, either...especially when the "artist" is rapping about guns and murder and incest and beating or cheating on your wife. That's not for God's glory.

The church isn't my private listening studio. It's God's house of worship. It's a place where all hearts can go to worship Him. ;)

My favorite music style is classic rock. Can somebody recommend any Christian artists with a style like Led Zeppelin, the Who, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, etc? I have yet to find any band that comes close to the classic rock style that I like. Petra sounds too pop for my taste.

Non-Christian music in church? I'd say no. Why? In a church setting, there will always be people who come to visit and see what Christianity is all about. If they see Christians listening to music that the unbelieving world listens to, then they'll likely say what's the point? We will only cheapen the gift of eternal salvation we talk the talk and not walk the walk.

Another issue that it brings up is we are our brother's keeper. What if a fellow Christian struggles in a certain area, and the secular music you are listening to glorifies that area? We now have placed a stumbling block in our Christian brother's (or sister's) walk with Christ. And if he sins, we are just as guilty of that sin. At least this is how I view it.

I don't mean to condemn anyone who feels free to listen to such music. I just feel that as a Christian I should listen to Christian music. It glorifies our Heavenly Father, is a blessing to me, and opens the door for me to bless any fellow Christian who struggles in their walk with Christ.

#1 Do you think it is ok to listen to non Christian music in Church?

My family and I went to a LARGE church in our area and they "cheekily" did a very wordly song in the praise team and wanted us to join in...we felt that the temple of God was being defiled by the world...The Praise team leader even encouraged the congregation with "it's alright, stand up and let's have fun"...(yeah right...we do not follow man or woman in this case but trust the God has given us the discernment to decide whom we should serve). We did not join in and I think we stopped attending there with that incident as well. Sorry, but the things of God should be in the church; not the things of the world. :D

#2 Do you think it is a sin to listen to non Christain music and does it really affect you as a person?

IT is not what goes into the man that defiles him but what comes out...
I will ask the question: "does eating a little poison kill us?" we would say; "probably not" but eating a little poison for a LONG time could make us very sick. Is it a sin to eat poison? There are consequences to every decision we make...I think anything and everything affects us in some way.

Back