Not Lacking Anything

Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 6:35 a.m. – the Lord Jesus woke me with the song “Jesus is All the World to Me” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read 1 Corinthians 1 (NIV).

I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge— God thus confirming our testimony about Christ among you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. (vv. 4-9)

Enriched in Every Way

This message is to the church, the body of Christ – “to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people.” We are not lacking in anything we need to live in Christ Jesus and to walk in his ways. We have been enriched in every way because of God’s grace to us in providing us with his salvation, and through his abiding presence within us in the person of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit within us gives us knowledge and understanding, he teaches us all things, counsels us, guides us into all truth, and he directs us in the way we should go. As well, the Spirit enables us to speak the word of God with boldness and to serve him without fear in holiness and righteousness (Lu. 1:74-75; 4:18-19; Ac. 4:29; Matt. 10:19-20). Many will say, “I can’t do it!” That is so true. And, that is right where we need to be – at Jesus’ feet, realizing our own inability to live for God apart from Jesus Christ and his Spirit within us living out Christ’s life in and through us (Gal. 2:20).

When I sat down this morning to write, the words were not there. So, I prayed, “Lord, you know I can’t do this, but you can. I pray you give me the words to speak. Amen!” And, as I began to type, the words came. If God has called us to do something, he will give us all we need in order to do what he has called us to do. He is not going to just leave us hanging out there on our own, dependent upon our own resources or those of others, with us having to figure it all out. So, we don’t have to worry, thinking “How will I do this?” The Spirit will provide all we need and he will enable us to do whatever it is God has assigned us to do. We, as the body of Christ, do not lack any spiritual gift. Yet we, as individuals, do not all have the same gifts. Nonetheless, if God has called us, he will provide whatever gifts we need. We don’t have to drum them up ourselves. We don’t have to borrow them from others, or manipulate, use gimmicks, entertain, or be attractive and appealing to the flesh, etc., in order to “make it work.” God – Father, Son & Holy Spirit – is all we need!

While We Wait

Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins, he was buried, and then the Father raised him back to life. Then, after a short period of time, he went back to heaven, but one day he will come again as judge and as our husband, ready to receive his bride to himself for eternity. So, while we are on the face of this earth, we wait eagerly and expectantly for his return. Yet, this waiting is not inactive or complacent or distracted. We don’t set our Lord aside while we wait. It is during this period of waiting when he fills us with all we need to live holy and godly lives, and he enables us to serve him, to share his gospel, and to minister to the body of Christ, utilizing the giftedness he has provided for us through his Spirit. Waiting for our Lord with eagerness involves daily surrender to him and to his will for our lives, allowing his Spirit to move, to work, to love and to minister in and through us for the glory of God. Our lives are no longer our own. We were bought with a price. I am His and He is mine!

Also while we wait for his return, He keeps us firm to the end, so that we will be blameless on the day of our Lord. Jesus said that we will be hated because of Him, but “the one who stands firm to the end will be saved” (Matt. 10:22). Paul said we are saved by the gospel if we hold firmly to the word preached to us, otherwise we have believed in vain (1 Co. 15:2). Yet, God never gives us a command that he does not provide all we need and that he does not enable us to do what he has commanded us to do. It is God “who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ,” and it is by faith, which is a gift from God, that we stand firm (2 Co. 1:21-24). So, although the words “stand firm” are repeated over and over again, we can be encouraged that we don’t have to, and we cannot do this in our own strength or of our own accord, but God has supplied all we need via his gift of salvation, via Jesus Christ as our Savior, and via his Holy Spirit now living his life in and through us. We just need to yield control of our lives over to God/Christ and to his Spirit within us.

God is Faithful

Awesome! We can rely upon him, trust him, believe him, and know without a shadow of a doubt that he will always do exactly what He said he would do. Humans will fail us. We will fail us because we are human. But, God will never fail us. Amen! He will always be faithful to all that he has promised. So, we never have to feel afraid or without resources, or fret over what is coming, or what we will do or how we will ever make it, because he has a plan, a purpose, and the power and faithfulness to do all that is required and is necessary. So, why should we ever be afraid? Why should we ever take matters into our own hands? Why should we feel as though we have to rely upon human methods and philosophies? Why do we feel as though we need to help God out? If he says he will supply all we need, and he says he will enable us to do all he has commanded us to do, and he says he will move in us, work in us and live his life in and out through us, then why do we so often rely upon our own flesh? It is crazy! If he called us, he will enable us, and he will supply all we need. So, let us stop putting our trust in the flesh, and let us allow the Spirit of God to do his work in and through our lives, and let us believe him that he will do all he said he would do.

Jesus is All the World to Me / Will Thompson

Jesus is all the world to me,
My life, my joy, my all;
He is my strength from day to day,
Without Him I would fall.
When I am sad, to Him I go,
No other one can cheer me so;
When I am sad, He makes me glad,
He’s my Friend.

Jesus is all the world to me,
My Friend in trials sore;
I go to Him for blessings, and