Have you ever fantasized yourself a Bible character either just for fun, curiosity, or even disillusionment? Nicodemus was a Pharisee, yes, but not just any old Pharisee, a Sanhedrin. He was in a superior role in Judaism and if there were any position to be coveted by a devoted religious person of the day he was in it. He had, authority, knowledge, and money. But none of that mattered to him when it came to finding out or realizing the truth. He went to Jesus in the cover of night to see what He was all about. Whether he was there to spy or truly becoming a believer himself we don't know. What we do know is that after Jesus died he was there to honor Jesus.

In John 19:39-40 (NASB) we see that "Nicodemus, who had first come to Him by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred litras weight. So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen wrappings with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews". One hundred litras is around 75 pounds and would likely have been quite valuable. But was more valuable was that he found the truth and it was more valuable than possessions. This does, however, symbolize that he likely felt some regret for his lack of intrepidness when he could have interceded. But aren't we glad he didn't?

Have you ever fantasized yourself a Bible character either just for fun, curiosity, or even disillusionment? Nicodemus was a Pharisee, yes, but not just any old Pharisee, a Sanhedrin. He was in a superior role in Judaism and if there were any position to be coveted by a devoted religious person of the day he was in it. He had, authority, knowledge, and money. But none of that mattered to him when it came to finding out or realizing the truth. He went to Jesus in the cover of night to see what He was all about. Whether he was there to spy or truly becoming a believer himself we don't know. What we do know is that after Jesus died he was there to honor Jesus.

In John 19:39-40 (NASB) we see that "Nicodemus, who had first come to Him by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred litras weight. So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen wrappings with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews". One hundred litras is around 75 pounds and would likely have been quite valuable. But was more valuable was that he found the truth and it was more valuable than possessions. This does, however, symbolize that he likely felt some regret for his lack of intrepidness when he could have interceded. But aren't we glad he didn't?

Good point.

One thing I noticed that Nicodemus served a law of the fathers a hierarchy of men the abomnation of desolation. Nicodemus in effect was under the power of disillusionment , the power of the air or god of this world. Therfore seeing things not there.

Lying wonders were popular then just as today in some circles.. Jesus warned of those kinds of father. (hierarchy of men.) that it is an evil generation (natural converted mankind) that does seek after wonders rather than the faith that alone comes as it is written .

Can’t serve prophecy which produces faith . . . the end of a matter. . . with illusions created in one’s own fleshly mind .(no end of faith )

A person can wonder forever and never come to the end of faith, belief. Believers receive the end of their new born again faith from the beginning

When Jesus approached Nicodemus in order to teach him how to walk by faith (understand God not seen) Jesus declares a man must be born again and then commands to "marvel or wonder not".

Who would not wonder at the greatest possible miracle? We do not believe by wondering. (a doctrine of demons) Some religions extend that wondering to keep working wondering doubting toward a unknown goal even after their last breath of oxygen. Like that of the purgatory doctrine .I think it I was the reason Jesus warned him not to marvel by going above all things written in the law and the prophets .Our armor of God .

John3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Good point.

One thing I noticed that Nicodemus served a law of the fathers a hierarchy of men the abomnation of desolation. Nicodemus in effect was under the power of disillusionment , the power of the air or god of this world. Therfore seeing things not there.

Lying wonders were popular then just as today in some circles.. Jesus warned of those kinds of father. (hierarchy of men.) that it is an evil generation (natural converted mankind) that does seek after wonders rather than the faith that alone comes as it is written .

Can’t serve prophecy which produces faith . . . the end of a matter. . . with illusions created in one’s own fleshly mind .(no end of faith )

A person can wonder forever and never come to the end of faith, belief. Believers receive the end of their new born again faith from the beginning

When Jesus approached Nicodemus in order to teach him how to walk by faith (understand God not seen) Jesus declares a man must be born again and then commands to "marvel or wonder not".

Who would not wonder at the greatest possible miracle? We do not believe by wondering. (a doctrine of demons) Some religions extend that wondering to keep working wondering doubting toward a unknown goal even after their last breath of oxygen. Like that of the purgatory doctrine .I think it I was the reason Jesus warned him not to marvel by going above all things written in the law and the prophets .Our armor of God .

John3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
Maybe he was born again. One way or the other he apparently believed because he was there helping tend to the body of Christ. There is vagueness in a lot of words and mysticism doesn't look good on a Christian.

The Bible is so full of fantastic truth that I have no need to imagine something different. I'm looking forward to what God has in store for all of us.

Simon the sorcerer imagined himself to be someone great

Acts 8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

When I read this I wonder if the sorcery was more like magic tricks. Clearly when Peter came around he saw the miraculous power that Peter had and wanted it also. Simon saw this miraculous power as a commodity that he could use in furthering his ambitions.

The city of Samaria looked up to Simon as a great power of God.

Acts 8:10 To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.

All because of his sorceries

Acts 8:11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.

When Phillip came preaching the gospel message and turning the hearts of some of the Samarians, it probably made Simon quite jealous. It appears that Simon followed Peter around witnessing the power of God acting in Peter. Again making me wonder if Simon's sorcery was more like magic.

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Simon also then claimed he believed and was baptized.

Acts 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

The Samarians didn't receive the Holy Spirit right away. The apostles heard about the believers and sent Peter and John to lay hands on them so that they could receive the Spirit.

Simon saw this and had to have this power.

Acts 8:18-19 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

God has better things planned for us.

Back