One day at a time

Good morning Lanolin. Since your comment is not linked to a prior post, I can't tell is you are responding to me or just making an unrelated remark.

Yes, kind of. Worrying is not a sin, but not trusting God is. The ability to not worry is not a gift, as it takes constant effort. Dealing with the "what if" scenario is something we all struggle with. Our pastor suggests that we replace the "what if" with "even if."

Having said all that, I do not believe that God wants us to just say "it's in your hands Lord," and let it go. He does expect us to fight through our tribulations. Again, as my pastor says, God wants us to be warriors not worriers.

Another issue is expectations. God has made us certain promises, in particular, that "... Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13 (NIV)). This did not include finding us a job, winning the lottery, or even curing our illnesses. We; however, often ask for these things and place ourselves in a position where we can become disappointed. I am NOT saying that God will not deliver these things to us, just that it is not what he promised.

Again, I am not saying that God will not help us through these things. I can offer personal testimony that He does. He will provide us with certain opportunities, but I suspect he expects us to dig in, lean forward, and fight for them ourselves.

Yesterday, I attended the first bible study of my life. It is a small group thing where everyone is in some aspect of first-responder occupation (law enforcement, fire rescue, security, etc). I am here to tell you that we really are all broken and each of us struggle with personal tribulations that include insecurities, worries, fear, etc. I was very impressed with how open people were about their own struggles and think it was well worth becoming a member. In particular, where is one detective who, physically, is huge, He looks like he can bench-press a truck. He really has issues with fear, worry, and finding a balance between his faith and the reality of his job. Look, he is me...

Anyway, my summary to your comment is that (1) yes, worrying can be considered a sin; (2) not worrying about that which you cannot change is not so much a gift as it is an art; (3) God is there to walk the walk with us, but fully expects that we will fight through the tribulations and that fight does include planning for the future. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 (NIV))

rtm3039
[/thi
Good morning Lanolin. Since your comment is not linked to a prior post, I can't tell is you are responding to me or just making an unrelated remark.

Yes, kind of. Worrying is not a sin, but not trusting God is. The ability to not worry is not a gift, as it takes constant effort. Dealing with the "what if" scenario is something we all struggle with. Our pastor suggests that we replace the "what if" with "even if."

Having said all that, I do not believe that God wants us to just say "it's in your hands Lord," and let it go. He does expect us to fight through our tribulations. Again, as my pastor says, God wants us to be warriors not worriers.

Another issue is expectations. God has made us certain promises, in particular, that "... Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13 (NIV)). This did not include finding us a job, winning the lottery, or even curing our illnesses. We; however, often ask for these things and place ourselves in a position where we can become disappointed. I am NOT saying that God will not deliver these things to us, just that it is not what he promised.

Again, I am not saying that God will not help us through these things. I can offer personal testimony that He does. He will provide us with certain opportun

Ok this is what happens when I reply it just gives your entire post again and I cant undo it cos I am on ipad. Its easier to respond by making a new post. If write your name RTM then you know am responding to you. Just common sense. Also you are the OP of this thread.

I will make another post to address your concerns. It seems you are a 'yeah but' kind of person the thing is when you doing that you are 'kind of' doubting God. One needs to be singleminded and fully trust God. He doesnt give to people that doubt Him.

Its like do I trust my Dad to look after me or do I think well 'what if' hes going to kill me too. If I live like hes always going to kill me or let me down, then I dont fully trust him do I? Our Heavenly Father isnt like that.

Men may be fallible but God isnt a man that he can lie.

Ok Rtm I will give you an example out of my own life.
I know God can heal. He might take a bit of time to get there, but we do know He can heal instantly anything. We trust that He will. If we had prayed that he would come and waited for him and he delays...do we then start making our own plans and maybe even not stick around and start doubting and follow someone else?

So when God remembers us He expects us to remain faithful that He will do what He promised. Cos we have to be open to Him. Otherwise I would not have experienced any healing and still been in bondage to drugs and psychiatrists forever.

Its like Martha waits for Jesus to raise Lazarus. Sure she wanted him to come sooner, but he tarries. But shes waiting outside the tomb when he does show up. Would she have said oh, hes late maybe hes not even coming. But then if shed left, would she have witnessed a miracle? She would have missed it!

Same with the disciples when Jesus told them dont leave Jerusalem WAIT to recieve power from on high. So they stayed and then on Gods timing in the upper room not many days hence they were filled with the holy spirit.

What if..,they didnt wait,and said well what if he doenst come, lets just go out and do our ministry without The holy spirit. IT wouldnt have worked! If they hadnt have fasted and been all in that upper room waiting patiently would The holy spirit somehow just find them out in the mission fields all separately. It wouldnt have been the miracle it was if they werent all waiting and gathered together to recieve.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.'" (Matthew 6:34 (NIV)).
That is Jesus preaching to us telling us to take it one day at a time. I do this. I think its best as we cannot change the future or the past. What i mean is that circumstances can affect future plans.

Back