OSs can be Trouble!

Have you searched the Via site? I've had really good luck there and in the recent past it has been less than a year before the drivers seem to make it into the linux system.

I think I picked an odd one Bill, although it's been over a year since I last looked.

I don't know the age of the older unit but if you want it to run like a Zebra with a Lion 2 inches off it's rump, install Puppy Linux. Puppy will run on as little as 32 meg of memory and really gives new and very useful life to older units.

Happy computing!
Hehe...well old for me is no more than 3 years so actually Ubuntu is running quite nicely on the older laptop. I actually don't have any hardware issues with that one. My current "work" laptop is less than a year old and hardware drivers are a little harder to find. I actually dual booted Ubuntu on it before I got the older laptop and ran into the hardware issues. I'll have to go out to the Via site and see what's there. My bigger problem is going to be the migration in software (learning curve you know). That's why I wanted a separate computer to test/play (you know a sandbox) on before going through the migration on my current laptop. It'll be fun. I love anything techie. I actually worked many years as an administrator on Unix boxes and even spec'd them out for AT&T for a number of years in their large network farms. All fun stuff.

I'm outta here for now.

You'll already be very familiar with a lot of Linux then.

On to apps, while both Desktops I mentioned should be able to use the others applications, another reason I prefer a KDE installation is the applications within that suite. A couple of my picks are:

Text editor: Kate
CD burner: K3B
Photos: DigiKam

But again I stress that's just me... With your background perhaps your favourite text editor for example could be vi (which I can use but struggle with) or emacs (which I've never really "got") ...

Actually, windows is very perfect os and provide the best support in the world, also have the richest software catalog in the world - and the security is solved easily with the relevant professional security software.

r
a
Actually, windows is very perfect os and provide the best support in the world, also have the richest software catalog in the world - and the security is solved easily with the relevant professional security software.

Actually I don't believe there is a perfect operating system or a "one size fits all" operating system but I do believe that Linux is an excellent candidate for a variety of users and tasks.

I 've not really had to use Windows support but I don't think it can be compared with that of the free Linux systems to come up with "the best". These are user driven and some like the Ubuntu one seems to have a large number of people willing to offer assistance.

As regards software updates, I would argue that systems such as the one with OpenSuse (and I'm pretty sure Ubuntu, etc. ) are superior to Windows Update as they are capable of updating every application within the distribution which can be every bit of software you use on the computer.

I'm not sure how you are comparing the software catalogues but a Linux distribution contains thousands of packages from the open source community (OK often plus a couple of other bits). The open source catalogue would dwarf Microsoft's own catalogue. But you may be counting everything that will run on Windows in...

Back