Our dog(s)

Though Luke was a Red Kelpie and a working dog. These dogs could cover many miles per day, but Luke was not raised to be a working dog, and he was about to go on his longest walk ever.

A (not so nice) friend invited Luke and me over to her place for the weekend. She lived in the country side about 16 miles (25 km) away. By Sunday morning I felt over used and abuse, and it was time to go home. But she would not drive us back home, so Luke and I started walking. I don't think she believed I would get far.

A few years before, I've walked 24 km many times and knew it would take about 6-7 hours. Poor Luke had no way of knowing what he was about to get into.

He stayed with me for about 10 miles before starting to lag behind. So I carried him for half a mile, then let him walk until he stopped, and repeated this cycle until we were about half a mile away from home. The same friend pulled up her car next to us, and said, "Do you want a lift home?" Without a blink of an eye Luke jumped through the window into the car. I said, "No thanks, I'll finish my walk." I said this to let her know that she could not imprison me at her place. I said to Luke, "Come!" and he refused to leave the car. I thought 'traitor!' So she took Luke to my place, and I walked the rest of the way. By the time I got there, I could see Luke was somewhat disappointed in himself for not completing the journey. But I didn't blame him, because my feet were also fairly sore too.

My relationship towards my friend had changed. But I am sure that long walk with Luke bonded us even more so.

Lol, that is funny that you out walked a dog....especially a working breed!
I once walked about that long, I think it was about 5 hours straight. Surprisingly my feet did not hurt that time.

Few years ago I tried a special dog-trekking race 90-100 km. It took 35 hours I think. Ron was quite happy and he enjoyed very much such a long walk :)

Yeah, it is amazing how much energy and stamina they have, especially the working dogs who actually work.
I never heard of a dog-trekking race. It sounds intense.
In 1983 I rescued a dog found hidden under a friend's house. It was a Blue Heeler - an Australian cattle dog. She was starving and suffering from a severe case of mange. As soon as I got into my car, I took her to the vet, for a complete check and treatment. She was fully recovered after a few months. Her temperament was gentle and so I called her Lady.

Lady was my first working dog. I had no idea about their training, or how they worked. The first time I noticed that she was a trained working dog, is when I put her in the car for a drive into town. She sat up perfectly in the middle of the car seat and looking straight out the front windscreen - like a soldier at attention. She would not look anywhere else. It was the first time I saw a dog that did not want to stick their head out the window.

A few weeks later, I went on a long drive, about 300 miles, to visit a friend. It was a hot day, so I had our windows down to cool us off. Lady just sat still for hours. Travelling between towns, in the country can take ages. And there came a time for me to pull off the road to go for a wee. As soon as I stopped, Lady dived out the window, and shot through the barb-wire fence, and started rounding up all the cattle she could find :eek:.

Obviously she thought it was time to work. I called and called her, but to no avail. I felt so embarrassed. The only thing I could do was sit quietly on the bonnet of my car, and wait till Lady was finished. Half an hour later she came back too me as if to say. "Well, what are your commands?" I almost felt I had to say 'sorry'. I opened to car door and she promptly sat back at her seat, staring out the front window again. From that day on, I only opened the windows a little bit.

Lady was my first working dog. I had no idea about their training, or how they worked. The first time I noticed that she was a trained working dog, is when I put her in the car for a drive into town. She sat up perfectly in the middle of the car seat and looking straight out the front windscreen - like a soldier at attention. She would not look anywhere else. It was the first time I saw a dog that did not want to stick their head out the window.

Now that is cool, our Labby thought the inside of the car is just a massive play pen. When you got out at the other end, you required to see the doctor.

I never heard of a dog-trekking race. It sounds intense.
It is amazing. Dogs have a harness and help to their people by pulling. It looks like this (that´s not me in the photo):
dogtrek_theme_foto_01.jpg

Now that is cool, our Labby thought the inside of the car is just a massive play pen. When you got out at the other end, you required to see the doctor.
That leaves a more funny than a worried image on my mind.:LOL::eek:
I once had a dog wanting to get in front of my feet while driving. The situation became frightfully alarming. I had to quickly pull off the road before an accident happened. These days, any untrained dog, or a dog I am unfamiliar with, goes to the back of the car - for my own piece of mind.

It is amazing. Dogs have a harness and help to their people by pulling. It looks like this (that´s not me in the photo):
dogtrek_theme_foto_01.jpg
Thanks Robine for the explanation and image.
It looks quite funny to me, because it looks like how most people take their dogs for a walk - the dog actually taking the people for a walk.
But knowing dogs, I bet they feel a great sense of purpose by doing so.
You won't see a cat doing this.:LOL:

It looks quite funny to me, because it looks like how most people take their dogs for a walk - the dog actually taking the people for a walk.
But knowing dogs, I bet they feel a great sense of purpose by doing so.
You won't see a cat doing this.:LOL:
Yes, the dogs are usually excited - the more they pull, the faster they go :)

One New Year's Eve, my wife and I went to watch the fireworks on the Sydney Harbor Bridge. We took the two house dogs with us, one standard and one Teacup-toy poodles. Both were black bitches and in natural (unclipped) wool. Though the standard is quite tall, she was lightweight, and the Teacup-toy was no bigger than a Chihuahua.

After the fireworks, it was time to go home. The crowd of people was unbelievable. It was impossible to walk the dogs without them getting stepped on. So we had to carry them. My wife took the Teacup-toy down her blouse, with the dog's head looking out from the top. The standard did not hesitate to jump up onto my chest with front legs around my neck, and back legs around my waist. People were egad to not recognize what was around my neck, yet praised to see the Teacup-toy. Quite a few people stopped us to question what sort of dogs we were carrying.

The poodles were happy to get back into the car, and so were we.

This one is about a German Shepard, called Hun. When my wife (before I met her) rescued Hun, she found her muzzle wired together and cutting into her skin. Apparently she was beaten many times while chained to a clothes hoist. My wife told me that Hun trusts no man and will attack me if I got too close. And she was the only one who can handle Hun. So, Hun was always on a chain, and I kept my distance.

One hot day, I was working outside, and Hun was on a ten foot chain tied to a tree. This tree was between the garage and where I was working. So I had to walk past Hun quite a few times, but always more than ten feet from her. Then one time, I was absent minded and walked right past her nose. Though she looked at me she did not try to attack me like she had in the past. I also noticed she did not have any water. So on my return trip I gave her (hesitantly) a bowl of water. Hun appreciated that very much. After she had a drink I gamed to come closer and touch her. She fully accepted me as a friend.

Later I found out that Hun accepted everybody very lovingly, but not when she was tied to a chain. Only my wife and I could approach Hun to put on and off the chain. The strange part of this story is that my wife knew this, but decided to keep that to herself... like many other things too, sadly enough.

One night, Hun was sitting alone (as usual) at the other end of the lounge room, watching me. She just kept staring at me. I could not help wondering what she was thinking about. For some reason I decided to try telepathy with her. I closed my eyes to avoid distraction of thoughts. After a while I got the urge to call Hun in my mind. I repeated the call a few times when suddenly I felt her head rest on my lap. Well, that took me by surprise, and my wife was too.

This one is about a German Shepard, called Hun. When my wife (before I met her) rescued Hun, she found her muzzle wired together and cutting into her skin. Apparently she was beaten many times while chained to a clothes hoist. My wife told me that Hun trusts no man and will attack me if I got too close. And she was the only one who can handle Hun. So, Hun was always on a chain, and I kept my distance.

One hot day, I was working outside, and Hun was on a ten foot chain tied to a tree. This tree was between the garage and where I was working. So I had to walk past Hun quite a few times, but always more than ten feet from her. Then one time, I was absent minded and walked right past her nose. Though she looked at me she did not try to attack me like she had in the past. I also noticed she did not have any water. So on my return trip I gave her (hesitantly) a bowl of water. Hun appreciated that very much. After she had a drink I gamed to come closer and touch her. She fully accepted me as a friend.

Later I found out that Hun accepted everybody very lovingly, but not when she was tied to a chain. Only my wife and I could approach Hun to put on and off the chain. The strange part of this story is that my wife knew this, but decided to keep that to herself... like many other things too, sadly enough.

One night, Hun was sitting alone (as usual) at the other end of the lounge room, watching me. She just kept staring at me. I could not help wondering what she was thinking about. For some reason I decided to try telepathy with her. I closed my eyes to avoid distraction of thoughts. After a while I got the urge to call Hun in my mind. I repeated the call a few times when suddenly I felt her head rest on my lap. Well, that took me by surprise, and my wife was too.

I'm going to be honest. I do not think humanity has scratched the level of sensitivity built into dogs and many other animals.
God knew what he was doing, and that is why dogs are such great human companions when treated correctly.

In post #18, I mentioned Tapfer, the German Shepard who almost died by tick poisoning. I believe that a psychic bond between me and dogs had occurred from that incident. From that time on, I have been getting along with all dogs.

Every year in Sydney, there is the Royal Easter Show. A big part of this show displays various farm and domestic animals. My friend wanted to see the baby animals pavilion. When we got there we soon found out that in the far corner was a triangular arena with a German Shepard bitch and several small pups. They were all at one end of the fenced off area. The crowd at that end was too thick to get a look in. But there was one gap at the opposite end. I told my friend to go into that gap. She said, "but the pups are at the other end, and I won't get to see them!" Somehow, I just knew that the pups would come to visit me, so I said. "Don't worry, just go into the gap." and she did. I leaned over her shoulder to place my head into the arena. I turned my head towards the pups. Then all of a sudden the pups looked back at me and came running and tripping over themselves towards me. There they were, right in front of us jumping up to be patted. My friend could not believe what just happened. And in a funny sort of a way, I was a bit surprised too.

Hoping to see a thread just on CFS member's dog(s).

I'll start of with my dog, Luke. He is an Australian Red Kelpie.
Except for my first dog, all my other dogs were rescued. Luke was my last dog.
He has passed away, but I still have him close in my heart. I miss him very much.
He understood everything I said to him. We were best of mates.
Luke-halo.png
Screenshot_20230622-133331_Facebook.jpg

Back