pancakes made with outdated mix

pancakes made with outdated mix

I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son,
using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they tasted "funny," but
ate them anyway
About 10 minutes later, he began having difficulty breathing and his
lips began turning purple. I gave him his allergy pill, had him sit on
the sofa and told him to relax. He was wheezing while inhaling and
exhaling. My husband, a volunteer firefighter and EMT, heated up some
water, and we had my son lean over the water so the steam could clear
his chest and sinuses. Soon, his breathing became more regular and his
lips returned to a more normal color. We checked the date on the box of
pancake mix and, to my dismay, found it was very outdated.
As a reference librarian at an academic institution, I have the ability
to search through many research databases. I did just that, and found an
article the next day that mentioned a 19-year-old male DYING after eating
pancakes made with outdated mix. Apparently, the mold that forms in old
pancake mix can be toxic! When we told our friends about my son's close
call, we were surprised at the number of people who mentioned that they
should check their own pancake mix since they don't use it often, or they
had purchased it some time ago. With so many people shopping at
warehouse-type stores and buying large sizes of pancake mix, I hope your
readers will take the time to check the expiration date on their boxes.
Also, beware of outdated cake, brownie and cookie mixes.

This is TRUE--Check it out! click on the link below.