Parable of the Talents. Matthew 25: 14-30

Firstly, please let me say that I am new to the bible and bible study. This is a disclaimer of sorts:)

When I first read this it confused me. I couldn't figure out why the servant who was frightened and played it safe got to be cast out and 'gnash his teeth'.

Parable in (my) summary:

A rich guy goes off jet-setting to do business and leaves some cash in the hands of 3 of his assistants. One of them does some trading and doubles his money (luck? he could also have lost it in some horrible investment scheme?). Another one does the same. The third guy is scared, he hangs on to the money and returns it to his boss, exactly as he left it. The first 2 guys get rewarded and the 3rd guy gets fired (hence gnashing of teeth).

I know this didn't actually happen, I know it's a parable (it's a lesson), but I still feel really bad for the poor guy who was afraid and therefore cautious with somebody else's money.

Now I've thought about it (and typed it out in my own words), I can see the point (I think), that we should take what we have and use it! But I still feel sorry for the poor guy who's frightened.

Help required:)

Hi Annie,

God has been teaching us about this parable and a couple of the others. So I feel prompted to share what He has shown us.

As the Holy Spirit helped you to realize, it ultimately has to do with if God gives us a talent or more than one...He desires that we use it for His glory. It's His way of testing us to see if we will honor Him on this earth or not. And if we are successful, then when we get to heaven we will be put in charge of cities (Luke 19:17, 19).

There are so many people on this earth who are using their talents for their own gain here on earth. In one place in the Bible, Jesus tells us that those people have received their reward. But for those whom desire to put the Kingdom of God first, and use their talents for God's glory, and for the advancement of His Kingdom then God promises them many rewards when they get to heaven.

Not every person, who calls Jesus Lord, or Savior, is going to have all the same things (responsibilities or type of houses, or what not) when we get to heaven. We are earning them now.

Think about the man or woman who diligently seeks the kingdom of God here on earth. Always being obedient to the Master's commands and giving up their life to please Him. Would it be fair for that person to receive the same as someone who was lazy in regards to the Word of God, never seeking anything in regards to the kingdom, never seeking to grow in God's ways?

There are so many people whom the devil has deceived into thinking that all they have to do is accept Jesus as Savior and then live their lives for themselves, and when they get to heaven they will have this grand entrance and lots of good things. There is also a lot of people who never consider or think about heaven at all. So many believers just end up living their life for what they want now. I only pray that they wake up before it's to late.

Blessings to you!

What will you do with, that is, from what God has given you?

Can He trust you to do for Him with the little He has given you?
This Determines if you are given more.
If God can not trust you with little He truly won't be giving you much.

It's the same with His Most Holy Word!
What do you do with the little you have now?

Scripture is Quite Clear we Must be Doers of His Word and not Hearers only.

Far to many believers look like little malnutritioned stick men with big huge puffed up heads. (There Spirit Man)

They are full of Head knowledge and their Spirit man is starved.
Hearers only, for doers of His word will have a strong built up in Christ , Spirit Man.

Scripture tells us to be careful how we hear, for what little we think we have will be taken away from us.

Who is the taker of this? God?
No Way is it God who takes it away.
Why of course it is our enemy the devil whom comes to Steal, kill and destroy.

For hearer only can not stand against the fiery trials and trickery and deception that the devil brings to us.
Nor can they walk by faith trusting God and fall back into concerns of the day of their lives.

Now a doer of His word is actually building up the Spirit and Faith (doing with what God has given them) And More Will Be Given Them.

Blessings
FCJ

What will you do with, that is, from what God has given you?

Can He trust you to do for Him with the little He has given you?
This Determines if you are given more.
If God can not trust you with little He truly won't be giving you much.

It's the same with His Most Holy Word!
What do you do with the little you have now?

Scripture is Quite Clear we Must be Doers of His Word and not Hearers only.

Far to many believers look like little malnutritioned stick men with big huge puffed up heads. (There Spirit Man)

They are full of Head knowledge and their Spirit man is starved.
Hearers only, for doers of His word will have a strong built up in Christ , Spirit Man.

Scripture tells us to be careful how we hear, for what little we think we have will be taken away from us.

Who is the taker of this? God?
No Way is it God who takes it away.
Why of course it is our enemy the devil whom comes to Steal, kill and destroy.

For hearer only can not stand against the fiery trials and trickery and deception that the devil brings to us.
Nor can they walk by faith trusting God and fall back into concerns of the day of their lives.

Now a doer of His word is actually building up the Spirit and Faith (doing with what God has given them) And More Will Be Given Them.

Blessings
FCJ

You definitely bring up another good aspect of this. God gives us many pieces of light (Understanding And Revelation knowledge) to walk in and share and if we do nothing with what we have been given, we will loose what we had. Not because God takes it away, but because the enemy steals it from us, by bombarding us with lots of other cares...causing the seed of the Word that God has sown to become unfruitful.

Firstly, please let me say that I am new to the bible and bible study. This is a disclaimer of sorts:)

When I first read this it confused me. I couldn't figure out why the servant who was frightened and played it safe got to be cast out and 'gnash his teeth'.

Parable in (my) summary:

A rich guy goes off jet-setting to do business and leaves some cash in the hands of 3 of his assistants. One of them does some trading and doubles his money (luck? he could also have lost it in some horrible investment scheme?). Another one does the same. The third guy is scared, he hangs on to the money and returns it to his boss, exactly as he left it. The first 2 guys get rewarded and the 3rd guy gets fired (hence gnashing of teeth).

I know this didn't actually happen, I know it's a parable (it's a lesson), but I still feel really bad for the poor guy who was afraid and therefore cautious with somebody else's money.

Now I've thought about it (and typed it out in my own words), I can see the point (I think), that we should take what we have and use it! But I still feel sorry for the poor guy who's frightened.

Matthew 25:14-30

Hello Annie,

Cturtle and Fish Catcher Jim, have already given you much to think about, but perhaps you will not mind if I contribute a little too. :)

This is the last recorded parable of the Gospel of Matthew, and deals with reward or loss consequent upon service rendered to an absent Lord. The commission is given just before his departure, and the reward is given upon his return.

At the close of each of the four Gospels, the soon departing Lord Jesus Christ gives various commissions to His disciples, so the Apostles, who heard their Lord utter these parables would see their own place within them. To them perhaps were given the five talents. In the record of the book of 'The Acts of the Apostles' we can read of the mighty acts that they performed as part of their service during His absence.

To others two talents were given, and in 1 Corinthians 12 various gifts of the Spirit are enumerated, closing with the words, 'But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will' (verse 11). In the parable the talents are divided, 'according to his several ability'.

We can apply the teaching of the parable of the talents to ourselves, in regard to our walk and witness, by using the abilities we have been given for His glory. For there is a reward and a crown to be won, to lay at Jesus feet. Read the epistle to the Philippians.

In Christ Jesus
Chris (Complete)

'Wherefore, my beloved,
as ye have always obeyed,
not as in my presence only,
but now much more in my absence,
work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
For it is God which worketh in you
both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
That ye may be blameless and harmless,
the sons of God, without rebuke,
in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation,
among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
Holding forth the word of life;
that I may rejoice in the day of Christ,
that I have not run in vain,
neither laboured in vain.'

(Php 2:12-16)

Thank you Complete & Wwinnie:)

I clearly have a lot of work to do on my bible study, but with all this help it will be so much easier and more enjoyable.

It doesn't seem quite so daunting anymore.

Blessings and thanks:)

Parable in (my) summary:

Hello Annie. It is wonderful to see that you are new to Bible study. I pray that this is just the begging of a long and fruitful journey for you.

May I first of all say to you that in Bible study it is always advisable to post the Scriptures you are concerned with. That way no one has to assume which ones you are referring to. It really does not matter if something has been discussed already, it helps everyone to know where you are coming from.

Now I assume (See what I mean) you are referring to Matthew 25:14-30.

That is a long parable and it has many lessons found in each verse. Overall however it teaches us the joy of service.
Sometimes we wonder why God does not do more for us than He does. The thought is.....why does God not give me more????
Why have some Christians prospered more than others????? Why are some people more fruitful in their work for Christ than others who seem to work just as hard but get less done?????

You see, IMO that is what Jesus is telling us in this parable. How can He make us a "ruler over many things" if we can not take care of and rightly use the "the FEW things" He has given us? Yes.....some people do have more ability than others, but it is just as true that we often neglect to make the best possible use of those things God has given to us.

If we would be given the "Many things" God needs done, we must first be faithful in the "Few Things" we already have to do.

If you think that I may be of some help to you, please ask. May the Lord bless you.

Thanks Major, finding God has certainly proved to be life-changing for me so far. I prayed for strength, but found peace. I guess the strength had been there all along, or I wouldn't have made it this far. Asking for help, with anything, is not something i'm used to. In fact I feel quite overwhelmed by the responses here at CFS.

Blessings and thanks

Thanks Major, finding God has certainly proved to be life-changing for me so far. I prayed for strength, but found peace. I guess the strength had been there all along, or I wouldn't have made it this far. Asking for help, with anything, is not something i'm used to. In fact I feel quite overwhelmed by the responses here at CFS.

Blessings and thanks

Take advantage of us Annie. Everyone has to begin somewhere and this is a good place to start.

Usually, one can ask about a Bible doctrine that may be confusing. Creation....salvation....grace so on and so on.
That usually requires a long response.

Another way is to post a certain Scripture and ask for clarification or explanation of said Scriptures.

Also, if you find the same stories in the other gospels, they add more to the story so you can get a more complete picture.
I agree with this.
Something I was taught which helped a lot was to compare scripture with scripture. Meaning, find as much scripture as you can on the subject or concept you happen to be studying. Even if it seems straight forward, often there are nuances and connections to other concepts to be found in other passages which enhance our understanding.

This site is a great place to find connecting scripture because we are all connected to the "body" of Christ but have different functions, and therefore, special connections to certain passages of scripture, as the Word speaks to us. Refer to 1 Corinthians 12

The awesome thing you find is when you search other scripture for context on something specific, you will then be led to other subjects to study, and then at some point you realize that you have immersed yourself into the Word.

I agree with this.
Something I was taught which helped a lot was to compare scripture with scripture. Meaning, find as much scripture as you can on the subject or concept you happen to be studying. Even if it seems straight forward, often there are nuances and connections to other concepts to be found in other passages which enhance our understanding.

This site is a great place to find connecting scripture because we are all connected to the "body" of Christ but have different functions, and therefore, special connections to certain passages of scripture, as the Word speaks to us. Refer to 1 Corinthians 12

The awesome thing you find is when you search other scripture for context on something specific, you will then be led to other subjects to study, and then at some point you realize that you have immersed yourself into the Word.

Excellent observation my brother.

Parable in (my) summary:

Hi Annie. What I see most in this is that each received what he believed for. The successful ones love and respected their Lord while the third feared and seemingly dislike Him- this was a test of what was in the hearts of all three. Although life lessons like this are rugged they can be a source of mercy as a call to repentance.... God is merciful to all who bow low and seek Him with a good heart.

So many excellent replies and scriptures shared already; but I just came aboard the forum yesterday so just reading some threads today. But, just want to share that this particular parable has always spoken to me about two things: generosity and risk taking. The Christian walk is enhanced by both. And I think the Lord is calling us to be generous in our stewardship as well as trust in Him which sometimes can feel very risky. The poor servant who did not share the funds was likely holding back out of fear. And, so too, we can hold back when fear is greater than trust. Very human. God wants to call us to a higher level of trust and risk-taking as we are stewards of what all He has given each of us to care for. And I believe that when we do respond He gives the grace needed to overcome fear.

So many excellent replies and scriptures shared already; but I just came aboard the forum yesterday so just reading some threads today. But, just want to share that this particular parable has always spoken to me about two things: generosity and risk taking. The Christian walk is enhanced by both. And I think the Lord is calling us to be generous in our stewardship as well as trust in Him which sometimes can feel very risky. The poor servant who did not share the funds was likely holding back out of fear. And, so too, we can hold back when fear is greater than trust. Very human. God wants to call us to a higher level of trust and risk-taking as we are stewards of what all He has given each of us to care for. And I believe that when we do respond He gives the grace needed to overcome fear.

Thanks for sharing this. The further I journey with God, the more I see and learn. Your post pretty much sums up how I see this parable now. It's weird how I could see things one way, then return to it and see it completely differently. Then again, I've had alot of help:)

And WELCOME to CFS:D

Thanks for sharing this. The further I journey with God, the more I see and learn. Your post pretty much sums up how I see this parable now. It's weird how I could see things one way, then return to it and see it completely differently. Then again, I've had alot of help:)

And WELCOME to CFS:D

Hi, Annie, thanks for the welcome. So far I like it here and think I'll hang around. :) Yep, so true that we can return to scriptures or a particular passage or story and see it anew or find something we missed before. The bible just never grows old. And, like you, I've had a lot of help over the years with good counsel, teaching, and supportive fellowship. The first 17 years of my life the bible was something passages of which were read from the pulpit at church and I knew a few stories from my days in VBS, but it wasn't until I was a senior in high school and went to a youth group bible study that I began to read it and see what a rich source it was. The Spirit speaks through the Word and we are changed day by day.

Blessings,

sandpiper >o<

Back