Parents, this one's for you

Parents, this one's for you

I have not yet been blessed with children, but I wanted to share something with all of you who have.

Proverbs 22:6 says: "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

My parents didn't make much money when I was growing up. My mom was a teacher and my dad drove the city bus. But they sacrificed and saved and sent my brother and I to a private Christian school where we got a fantastic education. There, I learned all the books of the Bible when I was in kindergarten, which was great. What I wanted to mention specifically, however, is the school provided us with 26 little cards. Each card had a letter of the alphabet on it as well as a Bible verse which began with the letter on the card. For example:
A--"All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23"
B--"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:31"
C--"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Ephesians 6:1"
etc.

My parents taped those cards to our fridge and we would see them all the time. We read them together, etc until probably when I went to high school. The point is that I haven't seen any of those cards in more than 12 years now, and I still remember those verses! They are in my heart as childhood memories and in my spirit as planted seeds of the Word. I am so thankful to my parents for being God-fearing people who actively obeyed the Word's teaching.

There have been times where my brother and I have strayed from our upbringing and God's word. But I tell you the truth, I'm living the "when he is old" part of the Proverbs verse. I'm back. For those of you with obstinate little ones, teens, young adults, or even old adults, don't give up on them. Continue to pray and believe God's promise for your kids. They will be back. For those of you who don't have kids, or who have just become parents, trust God with them! He is so faithful to honor His Word. And when your kids grow up, they will rise up and call you blessed, like in Proverbs 31:28. They will appreciate how you got them their start on this journey.

God bless!

Thank you natural linguist - your posts are always beautiful. I am a mother of three and couldn't agree more! :)

I have not yet been blessed with children, but I wanted to share something with all of you who have.

Proverbs 22:6 says: "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

My parents didn't make much money when I was growing up. My mom was a teacher and my dad drove the city bus. But they sacrificed and saved and sent my brother and I to a private Christian school where we got a fantastic education. There, I learned all the books of the Bible when I was in kindergarten, which was great. What I wanted to mention specifically, however, is the school provided us with 26 little cards. Each card had a letter of the alphabet on it as well as a Bible verse which began with the letter on the card. For example:
A--"All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23"
B--"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:31"
C--"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Ephesians 6:1"
etc.

My parents taped those cards to our fridge and we would see them all the time. We read them together, etc until probably when I went to high school. The point is that I haven't seen any of those cards in more than 12 years now, and I still remember those verses! They are in my heart as childhood memories and in my spirit as planted seeds of the Word. I am so thankful to my parents for being God-fearing people who actively obeyed the Word's teaching.

There have been times where my brother and I have strayed from our upbringing and God's word. But I tell you the truth, I'm living the "when he is old" part of the Proverbs verse. I'm back. For those of you with obstinate little ones, teens, young adults, or even old adults, don't give up on them. Continue to pray and believe God's promise for your kids. They will be back. For those of you who don't have kids, or who have just become parents, trust God with them! He is so faithful to honor His Word. And when your kids grow up, they will rise up and call you blessed, like in Proverbs 31:28. They will appreciate how you got them their start on this journey.

Beautiful and biblical :)

My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart

Back