Peace

My questions are:
Do we, as Christians, put too much emphasis on being peaceful?
How does the Bible say we achieve peace amongst ourselves?
Who are we to be peaceful with?

Last edited:
I will just answer this as I see it in the Bible and please advise me if I am wrong. I believe we should be at peace with all people but especially our brothers and sisters in Christ. Now that we have been made free in Christ we should celebrate our peace reconciled to God by being that example. For by grace you are saved (Ephesians 2:8) and by grace we are made whole. I am an example of a goat wanting to be a sheep. I have had experiences which have hardened me too much and the pride of a goat just goes around ramming anything and everything even when it is also another goat.

We achieve peace when we are peaceful. Every battle does not need to escalate to a war. We, no I, should be more humble and they will know my salvation by my works. I am an example of what arrogance in a church looks like. I do not know why I am the way I am because I do love God but I am immature at restraining my resolve when it comes to confrontation. Please pray for me as I navigate my heart and as Jesus shows the fallacy of my behavior. It would be easier to write me off as a trouble maker and send me on my way but I ask that you tolerate me and counsel me as you are able.

Avoiding those you do not see eye to eye with doesn't teach anything because we both go on our way believing we are right. It is when we expose our differences when we can offer counsel and reveal the one who is mistaken or misguided. If there is something I am doing wrong or if I cause trouble please confront me on it and advise me by God's Wisdom.

I will just answer this as I see it in the Bible and please advise me if I am wrong. I believe we should be at peace with all people but especially our brothers and sisters in Christ. Now that we have been made free in Christ we should celebrate our peace reconciled to God by being that example. For by grace you are saved (Ephesians 2:8) and by grace we are made whole. I am an example of a goat wanting to be a sheep. I have had experiences which have hardened me too much and the pride of a goat just goes around ramming anything and everything even when it is also another goat.

We achieve peace when we are peaceful. Every battle does not need to escalate to a war. We, no I, should be more humble and they will know my salvation by my works. I am an example of what arrogance in a church looks like. I do not know why I am the way I am because I do love God but I am immature at restraining my resolve when it comes to confrontation. Please pray for me as I navigate my heart and as Jesus shows the fallacy of my behavior. It would be easier to write me off as a trouble maker and send me on my way but I ask that you tolerate me and counsel me as you are able.

Avoiding those you do not see eye to eye with doesn't teach anything because we both go on our way believing we are right. It is when we expose our differences when we can offer counsel and reveal the one who is mistaken or misguided. If there is something I am doing wrong or if I cause trouble please confront me on it and advise me by God's Wisdom.

It is not so much What we say but How we say it brother.

Especially in "religious" conversations we must always remember where the person we are talking from is coming from.

If you are speaking for example to A "religious", person, remember that most of them are not as educated in the Scriptures as you are. They will respond to what they have been taught which is usually not Biblical at all.

Then be "Patient" . Listen to what people say instead of thinking about what you are about to say.

then I would say to be respectful. Just because somebody doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean that they are inferior to you, or that they don’t deserve to be treated fairly. If you find yourself struggling to respect their point of view, consider how they may have arrived at this opinion.
  • Don’t name-call or demean them. Don’t hit below the belt and escalate to an emotional argument. Stay civil....not Personal!
  • Respect their ideas. Acknowledge that their ideas include valid points, though you do not have to agree with them. You could say, “I think you made a good point when you said…” or “Your comment definitely gives me some food for thought."
  • You can also say......"I appreciate what you are saying, however I just can not agree with you".

It is not so much What we say but How we say it brother.

Especially in "religious" conversations we must always remember where the person we are talking from is coming from.

If you are speaking for example to A "religious", person, remember that most of them are not as educated in the Scriptures as you are. They will respond to what they have been taught which is usually not Biblical at all.

Then be "Patient" . Listen to what people say instead of thinking about what you are about to say.

then I would say to be respectful. Just because somebody doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean that they are inferior to you, or that they don’t deserve to be treated fairly. If you find yourself struggling to respect their point of view, consider how they may have arrived at this opinion.
  • Don’t name-call or demean them. Don’t hit below the belt and escalate to an emotional argument. Stay civil....not Personal!
  • Respect their ideas. Acknowledge that their ideas include valid points, though you do not have to agree with them. You could say, “I think you made a good point when you said…” or “Your comment definitely gives me some food for thought."
  • You can also say......"I appreciate what you are saying, however I just can not agree with you".
I always love to get feedback from you, Major. This is all very good knowledge and I will put this into practice.

Um... even Jesus overturned those tables... jus' sayin'

I think there is a time for everything including peace, and anger.
I agree but it is not necessarily anger displayed that is okay but when to display that anger. Jesus was angry that the Jews had defiled His house and had turned into something it wasn't intended to be. The Jews took the sacrificial program and instead of it convicting of sin they became proud of it. Anger is necessary at times but for the right reasons and I would also add that none of us are Jesus by any means.

Just throwing this scriptural quote into the mix. We remember Paul's Letter in Romans 12:18 (KJV) where he states:

"18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men."

He qualified his statement with "If it be possible..." because he knew that there are some persons who are nearly impossible to get along with. When we encounter those persons, we pray for them and move on.

Support for this concept is provided in Christ's own words as He was addressing His Disciples before sending them out to preach the Gospel, as found in Matthew 10:14 (KJV), "14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet."

We do what we can to get along with everyone, but we also know that sometimes that is just not possible.

`

Just throwing this scriptural quote into the mix. We remember Paul's Letter in Romans 12:18 (KJV) where he states:

"18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men."

He qualified his statement with "If it be possible..." because he knew that there are some persons who are nearly impossible to get along with. When we encounter those persons, we pray for them and move on.

Support for this concept is provided in Christ's own words as He was addressing His Disciples before sending them out to preach the Gospel, as found in Matthew 10:14 (KJV), "14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet."

We do what we can to get along with everyone, but we also know that sometimes that is just not possible.

`
Amen, brother.

Back