Pentecost and the Holy Spirit

Dusty

Inactive
Pentecost and the Holy Spirit

Tomorrow , churches around the world will be celebrating " Pentecost Sunday " . Why because it is a very important event in the lives of Christians . Refer to the Book of Acts Chapter 2 .

The Holy Spirit descended to empower the apostles of Jesus Christ. It was a moment and still is a moment when the apostles were empoured in the upper room . It is still significant today as we also can recieve hte Baptism of the Holy Spirit to empower us for service .

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Pentecost fulfilled Jesus’ promise to send the Holy Spirit to empower the church so that we could be witnesses and evangelizing the gospel

You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me. —Acts 1:8

The power of Pentecost is not especially reserved for the highly gifted. Rather, it is available to all believers in Christ who want to serve Him.

God’s guidance and help that we need day to day
Are given to all who believe;
The Spirit has come and He is the source
Of power that we can receive. —Branon

The power of God’s Spirit gives power to our witness.

You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me. —Acts 1:8

The power of Pentecost is not especially reserved for the highly gifted. Rather, it is available to all believers in Christ who want to serve Him.

The highly gifted too often rely on their gift instead of the Lord. Many say they cannot do anything or not gifted. Good! Thats who God can use :) Its HIM not them

The power of Pentecost as it came at first came to loose men. God wants us free on every line. Men and women are tired of imitations; they want reality; they want to see people who have the living Christ within, and are filled with Holy Ghost power.

Smith Wigglesworth

Borrowed this from " Power From On High " Quote from GodSpeaks .

Pentecost was 50 days after the resurrection of Jesus. The word ''pentecost'' means ''fiftieth day'' It was a fufillment of the prophecy of Joel and the promise of the Father.

Joel 2:28And afterward,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.
29Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

Acts 2:31:He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
32This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
33Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

This is a very good message from my pastor : Pastor Sabrina Foerster .

Pentecost

We commemorate Pentecost Sunday to celebrate the early church’s receiving of he Holy Spirit. John the Baptist prophesied of the first Pentecost when Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire ( Matthew 3: 11) Jesus confirmed this to his disciples with the promise of the Holy Spirit in John 14: 26 . He showed Himself to these men after His death on the cross and Resurrection providing convincing proof that He was alive . Jesus told the disciples to wait in Jerusalem for the Father’s gift of the Holy Spirit from Whom they would receive power to be witnesses to the ends of the earth ( Acts 1: 3-8) After Jesus ascension to heaven , the men returned to Jerusalem , joining together for prayer in an upper room . On the Day of Pentecost , just as promised , a violent wind filled the house ; tongues of fire came to rest on each of them and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit . They were given the power of communication which Peter used to begin the ministry that Jesus had prepared him for . After the coming of the Holy Spirit , the disciples did not stay in the room basking in God’s glory , but burst upon the world as witnesses of it ., This was the beginning of the church as we know it .

In 1906 , the Azusa Street Revival was an historic Pentecostal meeting in Los Angeles , California led by William J Seymour , an African American preacher . The revival was characterized by ecstatic spiritual experiences accompanied by speaking in tongues , dramatic worship services and inter – racial mingling . Participants were criticized by secular media for behaviours considered outrageous and unorthodox ; especially at that time . The Azusa Street Revival had a profound effect upon the early history of Pentecostalism in Canada and is consider the primary catalyst for the spread of Pentecostalism in the 20th century .

The celebration of Pentecost Sunday reminds us of the reality that we all have the unifying Spirit that was poured out upon the first century church in Acts 2: 1-4 . It is a reminder that we are co- heirs with Christ, to suffer with Him that we may also be glorified with Him ; that the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good ; that we are all baptized by one Spirit into one Body and that the Spirit which raised Jesus from the dead lives inside believers . The gift of the Holy Spirit that was promised and given to all believers on the first Pentecost is promised for you and your children and for all who call upon the Lord .

Listen To the Wind (C HMS)
Listen to the wind, hear what God has to say. Listen to the wind He calls to you today.
Listen to the wind.
The Spirit fills a believer’s heart and changes from within.
Listen now so you may hear His gentle voice in the wind.

Listen to the wind His gentle voice reveals. Listen to the wind His love so full, so real.
Listen to the wind.
The Spirit lights a believer’s path, a guide along the way.
Still your mind so you may hear all God has to say.

Listen to the wind, follow in The Way. Listen to the wind, in your heart you may.
Listen to the wind.
The Spirit leads a believer home to follow and obey.
Open your heart so you may feel His loving call today.

Listen to the wind hear what God has to say. Listen to the wind He calls to you today.
Listen to the wind. Listen to the wind. Listen to the wind.
A song I wrote for Pentecost.

Listen To the Wind (C HMS)
Listen to the wind, hear what God has to say. Listen to the wind He calls to you today.
Listen to the wind.
The Spirit fills a believer’s heart and changes from within.
Listen now so you may hear His gentle voice in the wind.

Listen to the wind His gentle voice reveals. Listen to the wind His love so full, so real.
Listen to the wind.
The Spirit lights a believer’s path, a guide along the way.
Still your mind so you may hear all God has to say.

Listen to the wind, follow in The Way. Listen to the wind, in your heart you may.
Listen to the wind.
The Spirit leads a believer home to follow and obey.
Open your heart so you may feel His loving call today.

Listen to the wind hear what God has to say. Listen to the wind He calls to you today.
Listen to the wind. Listen to the wind. Listen to the wind.

Beautiful Words ... HMS.... I would love to hear the music .

The Holy Spirit can also be a gentle breeze as I experienced one time when we were in a large auditorium and it was people from all over Toronto " Called Heaven's Rehersal " . It was a whole night of song and praise and worship . As I was worshipping , I felt a gentle breeze pass by and there were no windows or fans or drafts where I was sitting . In fact when I told the person next to me she experienced it also .

We can say that the " wind " is a purifying wind such as the case in Job : The wind acts as clarifying or taking way all the clouds and other things in the air . So similarly the Holy Spirit ( breath , wind ) acts in our lives to blow away all the other uncleanliness and dirt form our lives and leaves us with holy and clean thoughts.
Job 37:21

21 We cannot look at the sun,
for it shines brightly in the sky
when the wind clears away the clouds

One time I was in a service and we were praising and worshiping the Lord and I felt a cool breeze wisp across my face, I got so excited, I opened my eyes and I saw the man in front of me fanning himself..... oh well.

One time I was in a service and we were praising and worshiping the Lord and I felt a cool breeze wisp across my face, I got so excited, I opened my eyes and I saw the man in front of me fanning himself..... oh well.

LOL.
But that does happen for real sometimes. I have feel the wind of God some in waves across the congregation when the Spirit was moving while we praised Him.

Back