Peter tells us to submit ourselves one to another

Peter starts off 1 Peter 5 with instructions to elders in the first four verses.

In verse 5
Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

Elders were generally older in years oftentimes and older in the faith. What I find interesting is that Peter tells the younger believers not only to submit to the elders, but to submit to one another.

Why, to one another and how?

Reading further in verse 5 it starts to explain how. We submit to one another by showing proper humility, giving grace which can take the form of love, faith, mercy, kindness, etc.

My take on this is that our submitting to one another is acting in faith and love in it's many forms.

Peter starts off 1 Peter 5 with instructions to elders in the first four verses. In verse 5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. Elders were generally older in years oftentimes and older in the faith. What I find interesting is that Peter tells the younger believers not only to submit to the elders, but to submit to one another.
Reading further in verse 5 it starts to explain how. We submit to one another by showing proper humility, giving grace which can take the form of love, faith, mercy, kindness, etc. My take on this is that our submitting to one another is acting in faith and love in it's many forms.

Hello Chuck;

Great Scripture and topic! I blue-lighted why and how in my response to 1 Peter 5;

I'm used to being one of the elders in our church ministry, but I'm the youngest amongst those in our Thursday morning Bible studies, who are in their late 60s up to mid 80s. I find this a blessing because as much as God has grown me, these brothers and sisters have been around the block longer than me and it's refreshing to "listen" to their life experience and Christian walk. This ministers to me.

Great topic and love the order that is sustained or instituted by utilizing this Scripture. I believe that if the elder is elder in the faith that they can offer the final word in disputes as they would be more familiar with God's Word and would be able to offer the most Biblical principle in a situation or issue. Being elder has nothing to do with age because a 70 year old man who just got saved would not be spiritually superior to the wisdom of a 30 year old who has known God and His Word his whole life. I believe that Scripture passage is for order in the church building.

Great topic and love the order that is sustained or instituted by utilizing this Scripture. I believe that if the elder is elder in the faith that they can offer the final word in disputes as they would be more familiar with God's Word and would be able to offer the most Biblical principle in a situation or issue. Being elder has nothing to do with age because a 70 year old man who just got saved would not be spiritually superior to the wisdom of a 30 year old who has known God and His Word his whole life. I believe that Scripture passage is for order in the church building.

Hi Nazarene Servant;

You are correct. The Elder set the example of leadership, instruction, discipline and direction for the other believers. God anointed these leaders of wise and older men but with responsibility to protect His people. Elder means older but was not the KEY role in this ministry.

Hi Nazarene Servant;

You are correct. The Elder set the example of leadership, instruction, discipline and direction for the other believers. God anointed these leaders of wise and older men but with responsibility to protect His people. Elder means older but was not the KEY role in this ministry.
Yeah, I should have stated that "being elder in this instance is irrelevant" as age in society is indicative of being an elder. Thank you.

1 Peter 5:2 makes it abundantly clear that Peter is speaking to spiritual elders. He talks of leading the flock and oversight. Which also tells me the younger refers primarily to the those under the care of the elder.

cp

1 Peter 5:2 makes it abundantly clear that Peter is speaking to spiritual elders. He talks of leading the flock and oversight. Which also tells me the younger refers primarily to the those under the care of the elder.

cp
I agree but also stand by my statement that within the church "elder" is the one with greater spiritual maturity.

cp

Hey Chuck;

I was reminded of the Elder in our church family. He has served almost 50 years in his called ministry and 9 years with our church family. He's been through the most challenging of times and is always a joiner in our church festivities.

Our members regard him like a Dad figure while making everyone feel loved, accepted, safe while teaching.

The only thing that cracks us up is he won't upgrade to a smart phone because he loves his flip phone. lol!

God bless you, brother and your family.

Hey Chuck;

I was reminded of the Elder in our church family. He has served almost 50 years in his called ministry and 9 years with our church family. He's been through the most challenging of times and is always a joiner in our church festivities.

Our members regard him like a Dad figure while making everyone feel loved, accepted, safe while teaching.

The only thing that cracks us up is he won't upgrade to a smart phone because he loves his flip phone. lol!

Awesome. I love to hear when ministers get involved in serving and fellowshipping like this.

cp

Peter starts off 1 Peter 5 with instructions to elders in the first four verses.

In verse 5
Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

Elders were generally older in years oftentimes and older in the faith. What I find interesting is that Peter tells the younger believers not only to submit to the elders, but to submit to one another.

Reading further in verse 5 it starts to explain how. We submit to one another by showing proper humility, giving grace which can take the form of love, faith, mercy, kindness, etc.

My take on this is that our submitting to one another is acting in faith and love in it's many forms.

Agreed! If we are not accountable to each other who we can see and touch......how can we then be accountable to God who we can not see and touch?

Accountability is an important part. I also believe that humility, and the openness to rebuke when needed are important. In the world those older or in a position of authority tend to yield there authority. This is not God's way though. God desires that we act in love, humility and that leads to serving others.

cp

Hey Chuck;

I do not know that man.....But I love him!

By the way......what is a "Flip Phone".

I do not know that man.....But I love him!

By the way......what is a "Flip Phone".

You can have my flip phone. For a long time I didn't want to be drug into this new century. Couldn't see the reason for all the extra features on an iPhone when all I wanted to do was call someone.

Thanks, I'll crawl back in my hole now.

cp

I have a flip phone as well.

You guys are too funny! 😂 lol!

Back when I was still using a rotary phone, seriously, I had one as a novelty back in 1989, 1610995693642.png

the flip phone came out and was the craze because they were tiny, light and the screen flipped up when making a call and flipped down when done.

1610995743645.png

That is the extent of my technical background. 😎
God bless you, my brothers!

Attachments

• 1610995388253.png
    1610995388253.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 0

Back when I was still using a rotary phone, seriously, I had one as a novelty back in 1989, View attachment 5209

the flip phone came out and was the craze because they were tiny, light and the screen flipped up when making a call and flipped down when done.

View attachment 5210

Hey did you take my phones. I had both of those for a long time. I never did get a pager they weren't around long enough to get use to them.

cp

Back when I was still using a rotary phone, seriously, I had one as a novelty back in 1989, View attachment 5209

View attachment 5210

SO, THAT is a flip phone. I was thinking more like.............

1611008294342.png

Back