Peter tells us to submit ourselves one to another

Peter starts off 1 Peter 5 with instructions to elders in the first four verses.

In verse 5
Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

Elders were generally older in years oftentimes and older in the faith. What I find interesting is that Peter tells the younger believers not only to submit to the elders, but to submit to one another.

Why, to one another and how?

Reading further in verse 5 it starts to explain how. We submit to one another by showing proper humility, giving grace which can take the form of love, faith, mercy, kindness, etc.

My take on this is that our submitting to one another is acting in faith and love in it's many forms.
Basically it means look after each other- caring for each other. see verse 7.
When you are older you have more responsibility. How many of us had older brothers and sisters -or were older and were told to look after the younger ones. Feed them etc. Even children can look out for their younger siblings.

If you don't want to be looked after then its fine you just going to be on your own that's all.

When you are older you have more responsibility. How many of us had older brothers and sisters -or were older and were told to look after the younger ones. Feed them etc. Even children can look out for their younger siblings.

If you don't want to be looked after then its fine you just going to be on your own that's all.

Being as I was the oldest of four children, I remember caring for especially my youngest brother 12 years younger than me. At that age I was not going to be in subjection to my younger brothers or sister.

Caring and love go hand in hand together. Today I know that I can learn something even from an infant.

cp

Hi Lanolin;

Our church has a friend, a veteran and widower in his late 80s who used to be very involved in the church, a church going man. He became physically handicapped and couldn't go out anymore, but he chose to shut down and be on his own, but that was short lived. He needed companionship, especially with other believers and men of God.

He told me his grown children don't stay in touch with him and doesn't really get to talk to anyone. The loneliness has set in.

He found our church through the web and called requesting a copy of the Daily Bread. We began to deliver copies to his home and this has been going on for 4 years now.

This gives him a chance to talk with someone from our church and this is where the beauty of an Elder comes in. When we listen to him talk, he has so much life experience and how it ties with the Bible.

I feel God considers this a responsibility given to our friend to minister to others. God can make a way for us to still serve, no matter our age or condition in our lives.

God bless you, Lanolin, and your family.

Back