Pick and choose from each religion

Pick and choose from each religion

A high school student I was substituting yesterday said something like "I take all the good things from each religion. name a religion". A girl named Islam, and he admitted he didn't know much about Islam, then the bell rang.

Could we please dicuss why this view, "pot luck religion"- choose the good, leave out the bad (or in essence, choose what you want), is not the way to go about it. Thx a ton!

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

You cannot mix the truth with a lie and still have truth. Religion is man's effory to reach God. Christianity is God's effort to reach man and He prescribes only one way for a sinner to stand in His holy presence:

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The whole drive behind new age religion is to accept all religions as equal and try and blend them all into one.

Kind of a "feel good" religion where all is peaceful and loving (got to find a tree to hug).

God has clearly shown us who we are to worship and how. If man changes the rules it means nothing, God does not change and He is in control not us mere little humans.

Christianity is a recipe that produces a perfect life for us in the end. Add anything to that recipe or take anything away and the end result is less than perfection. God won’t allow any of those other ingredients in heaven. We don’t get a grade in this life. It’s pass or fail and you’re not allowed to retake the test.

I choose to follow the one true recipe book.

Mmmmmm….. How sweet it is……..:D

Another post (That was interesting) is about the consiquences that occure from making a decision without reading the lable first. "Man's Religion" is the consiquence because we do not carefully read the lable/instructions God has given us within the bible.

Sometimes I watch Family Guy on TV. The other night, the dad created his own church, The Church of the Fonz. It was silly. But there were people attending.

The way the sermons were led borrowed a lot from various religions. I thought about this thread when I saw it. Instead of Amen, they'd say "Aayyyy!" Like the Fonz.:eek:

Pick and choose from a potpourri of religions, and that's pretty much what you get, though. Traditions of man mixed in with a sprinkling of the Truth here and there.:(

Thx for al the replies! Anymore? Philosophical justifications/rebuttals would be good, not necessarily "church" answers.

We are not dealing with a philosophy but with a relationship with God therefore the only valid answers are what you call church answers. The philosophies of man will not lead to truth.

We are not dealing with a philosophy but with a relationship with God therefore the only valid answers are what you call church answers. The philosophies of man will not lead to truth.

Indeed.

I could go on, but there is no need to...[/quote]

I think there is a need. That statement is entirely irrepresentative of what Catholics actually believe. The only reason I did not report this post is that I wanted to give you a chance to defend this statement. However, so that this thread is not hijacked, either PM me or start a new thread on the subject.

beforHim God told the Israelites in the Old Testament not to mix religions as this was an abomination.

How can we pick and choose good from bad? What is good? YHVH (God) is "Good". The heart of Man is Sinful and only through the Holy Spirit are we able to receive things that are approved by God which is the ONLY source (His Word) of good. religions are a dime a dozen today and most are based on Man's theory and a God they created. "Trust not in your own understanding".

The good in other religions and people alike, just happens to be their. It is of God, and Jesus teaches it because it is good.

People have good in them, but it comes from one place.

Good is good. Complete and pure good is God.

Why confine oneself to picking and choosing from other religions? If one is that astute, why not just whip up a batch of homemade religion from scratch? It'd be just as good and probably better, fresher ingredients, you know.

If one chooses one's own truth, why bother with a religion at all? You set yourself as the highest authority, so why not just develop a philosophy of life and go with that? Or why even go to all that work and formality? Why not do and think whatever you feel like at the time? :rolleyes:

I may not have all the answers, but then I don't have to. I just stick with the One who does.

Apologetics are one of God's many tools to bring people into a relationship with Him. I agree whole heartedly with what you're saying, and I often exort others about this as you have me, but only when people are trying to either give answers to sound smart, or they don't realize at all that church answers are the best or are even applicable (look at the faces on youth when you tell them to have a relationship with Christ, to pray, or that God is with them- blank).

But actually, all this aside, I went back and reread what everyone put, and I indeed found philosophical stuff. I need to look better next time. Anyway, thx for all the replies! More are always welcome, of course.

You can find good teachings in any religion, but you can find salvation in only one.

Agreed. And another thing- God calls mans best effort at producing good and righteous works nothing more than filthy rags tainted with ulterior motives and underlying reasons.

The Koran says the Judeo/Christian Bible is the truth:

Sura 5:43: "But why do they (the Jews) come to thee for decision, when they have the Torah in which is the command of God."
5:46 "We sent Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), confirming the Taurat (Torah) that had come before him, and We gave him the Injeel (Gospel), in which was guidance and light and confirmation of the Taurat (Torah) that had come before it,"
Sura 5:50 "And let the People of the Gospel judge by what God has revealed in it. If any fail to judge by what God has revealed, they are licentious."
Sura 6:154 Then, We gave Moosa (Moses) the Book [the Tauraat (Torah)], to complete upon those who would do right, and explaining all things in detail and a guidance and a mercy that they might believe in the meeting with their Lord.
Sura 10:94 "If thou wert in doubt as to what We have revealed unto thee, then ask those who have been reading the Book from before thee: the Truth hath indeed come to thee from thy Lord: so be in no wise of those in doubt."
Sura 32:23: "We did indeed aforetime give the Book to Moses: Be not then in doubt of its REACHING (THEE): And we made it a guide to the Children of Israel."

Hope that helps.

Ginger

Back