Planets

So I just read today that a NASA telescope has discovered something like 745 new planets... and of course you have the typical jargon how, "a select few could be inhabitable/contain Life".

Now I know that Genesis clearly states that God created the heavens and the earth. This would include absolutely everything included in space.

My question is, what are some possible opinions as to why God chose to create so many planets that seem to have so little purpose? What if by chance life is discovered some day on a different planet. Would this undermine Genesis, or does the bible only apply to those on Earth?

I really have a problem with how scientists present this information. They can't be that certain.

What if by chance life is discovered some day on a different planet.

As I observe, many apologist are already ready with answers : )

In my part, personal opinion:
IF those life in those are simply animal life: that is a no issue with me…
But IF they are intelligent beings like us: that will shake me a bit

But then again, it is a war: a spiritual war…
False information happens in a war….

Now, that’s a lot of IF….

And with how Jesus answered the question of the scribes and Pharisees: it simply shows we are into serious “what is the now” .....

and with how its worth, and all practicality and sense: there is no room for what ifs,,,, we deal with the now...

So I just read today that a NASA telescope has discovered something like 745 new planets... and of course you have the typical jargon how, "a select few could be inhabitable/contain Life".

Now I know that Genesis clearly states that God created the heavens and the earth. This would include absolutely everything included in space.

My question is, what are some possible opinions as to why God chose to create so many planets that seem to have so little purpose? What if by chance life is discovered some day on a different planet. Would this undermine Genesis, or does the bible only apply to those on Earth?
May be I think this way because I am already a believer!! When I hear all these stories of so many planets being in habitable zone (with NO life), it just amazes me.. When we consider all the planets in habitable zones and only planet earth has the life, then what is the probability of finding life in a planet? It is so so minute! If all these other planets do not have life, that itself shows involvement of supernatural power behind this.. If all started with a big bang and life evolved, then life should be common in many planets.. It is not! Spacial science has the same complexity as that of DNA..

I don't think so. The Bible does not say that He also did not create life on other planets (most of these not being real planets anyway)....it merely focuses for us on this planet (why would whatever He wills to do with other planets concern us)....now I am not saying there is or is not life on other planets but even so...so what...

Now if we discovered intelligent life there it would be interesting to see what they believe but they very well could believe in the creator and have a relationship with Him (one that may not even require the Christ who came for humans here on this planet)

God can do anything. Only a fool would put Him in a box. But it is highly unlikely that there be other humans / intelligent life on par with / above us out there. Apart from angels of course. Simple lateral thought is needed. Considering us, fallen angels and God dying on the cross... extremely unlikely God seek to replicate that elsewhere.

Gen 1:26 is interesting though... And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Why the need to specify earth?

I believe that when we have resurrected bodies we will still interact with this realm that is limited by physics. Consider the verse that says there are worms in hell. Verses that describe God bringing the new Jerusalem to earth with its actual dimensions. This all points to a combining of realms imho. I believe we will be able to visit and interact with all species on all planets. Just the 'intelligence = accountable' being a limiting factor on what exists.

Hmmm yes well if there is life on some other planet, it is going to be zapped good and proper at the Lord's return.
Personally I think it is bad enough that Jesus had to die once for us...I hate to think that He would be crucified over and over again.
And, if there was a race of beings that had not fallen in sin, why obliterate their comfy homes just because we messed ours up.

The more unique life on Earth is found to be, the stronger the witness against atheism and evolution.
Psa 19:1 To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
I would think that the heavens (meaning outer space etc.) will reveal the uniqueness of life and would certainly be declaring the glory of the Lord.

Back