Pleas for Mercy

Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 9:00 a.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song “His Tender Mercies.” He also put in mind the song “I Sing of His Mercy.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Psalms 129 and 130 (selected verses in the ESV).

We Are Afflicted

“Greatly have they afflicted me from my youth”—
let Israel now say—
“Greatly have they afflicted me from my youth,
yet they have not prevailed against me.
The plowers plowed upon my back;
they made long their furrows.”
The Lord is righteous;
he has cut the cords of the wicked. ~ Ps. 129:1-4

I believe there are two main ways in which Satan works to afflict spiritual Israel, the church. One is to deceive her and the other is to persecute her. First I will look at deception. There are two main ways in which Satan works to deceive the church, too. One is from within the church and from among the church leadership, and the other is from without, i.e. from the world, and coming from the governments over the people, mainly via the media.

Deception

Within the church he first of all convinces church leadership that they need to market (sell) the church much the same way in which any other business owner would work to sell his business to his customers. So, the church, instead of living in the fear of the Lord, has shifted in mission to market itself to this sinful world. In order to do that, they have had to change a few things to make the church and the gospel more appealing to human flesh – less offensive, less judgmental, and more accepting, pleasant and entertaining (fun) so that the world will enjoy coming to the “church” and will feel “at home” in its meetings.

So, the church has become “user friendly.” Thus, the gospel of Jesus Christ has had to be diluted so as not to offend, and so more people will want to “buy” “Jesus.” Most have continued to teach Christ’s death on the cross for sins, his resurrection, his ascension into heaven, his sending of his Holy Spirit, and that Jesus Christ will one day return for us and we will be with him forever. And, yet they are telling their prospective “customers” that God requires nothing from them. All they have to do is “believe,” although no one really explains what that means. Basically they lead them to believe that if they pray a certain prayer that they are saved, going to heaven when they die, and that nothing can ever change that. In reality, they are giving them a false hope, which means they are lying to them, and they are leaving them still dead in their sins, believing that God is now pleased with them.

Another way in which the church is being deceived is by the world, and by the government (via the media), and this is being facilitated by church leadership. We have to realize that we do not live in normal times now. The reality of what the prophets talked about regarding these last days is being fulfilled nearly daily now. We live in a time of great deception. So many people who profess Christ as Savior buy into whatever they hear the government and the media tell them. They think if they see it on TV or on the internet it must be real, but are movies and TV shows real? What is to keep them from making TV news just another drama for our entertainment and distraction? They can and do fake many news events. We have to think Satan, the beast and the false prophet. We have to stop living in a fantasy world where we think all that we see and hear is truth when it is not truth.

Persecution

Persecution is not absent of deception, though, for the reason many are persecuted is because the enemy has deceived the minds of many people to convince them either that Christians in general are to be hated and discarded, or that those “religious extremists” who still hold to the truths of scripture, as taught by Jesus and the apostles, are a menace to society, are to be considered dangerous and as those who cause disunity in the church, and so they must be avoided and not believed. Going along with this is to discredit the gospel as taught by the apostles, and to convince prospective believers that repentance, obedience and walking in holiness and godliness, and living free from slavery to sin is legalism, and so it is bad, and then to teach them that God is pleased with them no matter what they do.

Also, going along with this is that they have had to convince the church that government worship is godly (via the pledge to the flag and patriotism), so that most church people will not question the actions of our government, except on a very minor scale. They convince the church that, in America, we live in the land of the free and the home of the brave, and that we are a Christian nation, and that God is pleased with us, as well as to convince them that our actions in other nations are honorable and trustworthy. And, so if anyone dares to speak out against the government, and to expose the lies, and to call people to search out the truth, they are then called “conspiracy theorists” who are not to be believed.

Basically, Satan’s main goal here is to discredit those who tell the truth, and to try to convince others that they should not be believed, so that they will not listen to them. The problem here is that it is not just the government or the media who are spreading lies, but the church is doing this, and they are turning against their own. The government and church leaders are convincing today’s church goers that they should not listen to folks who are telling the truth, either about the government, or concerning the word of God and the gospel of our salvation. And, they have even convinced them not to listen to us when we try to tell them the truth concerning the deceptions, and we try to show them how they are being deceived. So, we are persecuted, rejected, hated, abandoned and cast aside as garbage. We have become their enemies because we dared to tell them the truth. Yet, we are in good company. They hated Jesus for the same reason.

My Pleas for Mercy

Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord!
O Lord, hear my voice!
Let your ears be attentive
to the voice of my pleas for mercy!
If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities,
O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
that you may be feared.
I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I hope;
my soul waits for the Lord
more than watchmen for the morning,
more than watchmen for the morning.
O Israel, hope in the Lord!
For with the Lord there is steadfast love,
and with him is plentiful redemption.
And he will redeem Israel
from all his iniquities. ~ Ps. 130

Jesus Christ, God the Son, left his throne in heaven, came to earth, became flesh and made his dwelling among us. He suffered as we suffer and was tempted in like manner as we are tempted, yet without sin. He lived and walked the face of this earth as fully God and as fully man (See: Jn. 1 & Phil. 2). He healed the sick, raised the dead, and taught repentance for forgiveness of sins. He said that if anyone would come after him, he must deny self, die daily to sin, and follow the Lord Jesus in surrender and obedience. He said if we want to hold on to our old lives of living for sin and self we will lose them for eternity, but if we die with Christ to sin, we will gain eternal life (See: Lu. 9:23-25; cf. Ro. 6-8; Eph. 4:17-24).

Although he was loved and admired by some, the many found him offensive and thus hated him. Even some who were following him turned away never to follow him again because they found his teaching to be too hard. The religious leaders of his day also hated him and were jealous of him, so they plotted to take his life. He was thus crucified on a cross, although he had done no wrong. Yet, when he died, he took upon himself the sins of the entire world. When he died and was buried, our sins were put to death and were buried with him. When he was resurrected back to life, he conquered death, hell, Satan and sin on our behalf. He died so that we could be forgiven of our sin and have the hope of eternal life with God in heaven. Yet, he also died to free us from slavery to sin day-to-day, and to free us to walk in the Spirit in Christ’s righteousness and holiness.

The apostles continued to teach what Jesus taught. They taught that coming to Christ means death to sin and living and walking in holiness. If we want to have forgiveness of sins and the hope of eternal life with God, we must be crucified with Christ to living for sin and self, we must be reborn of the Spirit of God, and we must allow the Spirit of God to change us in heart and mind, as well as we must submit to Christ’s Lordship over our lives in surrendering our lives to him, to walk in obedience to his teachings, and to do so all in the power and working of the Spirit within us, who has saved us by his grace (See: Ro. 6-8; 2 Co. 5:15; Gal. 2:20; Eph. 4:17-24; Tit. 2:11-14; 1 Pet. 2:24-25; & 1 Jn. 1-5).

So, if you have bought into the lies which tell you that God requires nothing of you, and that you can continue in sin now that you are under grace, and that nothing can touch you, then I pray you read these verses prayerfully and see that the Bible clearly tells us that faith is action, i.e. if we truly believe Jesus died to save us from our sins, then we will not choose to walk in sin any longer, but we will accept the new life he has offered us to live and to walk in his holiness, free from the control of sin. Instead of just believing whatever you hear or see or read, I pray that you will test everything against scripture and in prayer and to see if it agrees with scripture and if it fits with God’s divine will, character and purposes.

Going along with this, if you are believing everything you hear, read or see in the news or coming from the mouths of government leaders, I pray you will also test all of that before the Lord in prayer, seeking his face, and asking him to reveal to you the lies you have believed and to show you what is truth.

I believe God will revive his church and that many will be saved before he returns. As well, I believe that the seed sown by his servants will not return void. Even if they must die for the sake of the name of Jesus and for his gospel, his church will not be destroyed. I believe God will discipline his wayward people, and that he will restore his bride to himself, and that one day she will no longer follow after the lies, but that her eyes will be open to the truth – all of it. Through persecution and divine discipline, God will actually advance his kingdom, grow his church, and spread his gospel of salvation. Satan may throw darts our way, but Jesus is our victor! He overcame Satan via the cross, and we can be overcomers, too. We just have to commit our way to Jesus Christ, trust in his mercy, and believe him to do what he says.

I Sing of His Mercy / An Original Work
Based off Psalm 32 / April 10, 2014

Blessed are those whose sins are forgiven
By the blood of Jesus Christ.
Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord does
Not count against them; freedom found.
When, in silence, I did not confess
My sin to You; had no strength.
Then I owned up to my sin and
You forgave and cleansed me within.

Therefore let the godly pray to You;
Draw near to You; grace they’ll find.