please help with fasting

please help with fasting

hello everyone, could you all help me understand fasting a little more in detail like when to,how,why? i know thats it a sacrifice to the lord, and to put him first above yourself,and that its done for a specific need, i remember ash wens-easter. but iam sure thats not all,or maybe iam way off track. thanks in advance and may god bless:israel:

When: Whenever you want, however long you want! :D

How: Well there's a lot of different ways of fasting. One thing is to be sure that if your fasting from food and/or drink that you don't endanger your life from it. Don't skip meals or hydration if your body can't take it. Some people actually go full days without nuirishment, others just during the daylight, and some just skip one meal because that's all they can take. OR if you can't skip meals do to health needs or because you just don't want to there are other things you can give up as a form of fasting. if you have a favorite hobby or activity that you do you can instead use that time for prayer and Study.

Which leads me to Why: To show yourself that you are devoted to the Lord. It's a sort of practice for putting God before all other things. If you can give up something you like or need for a while, you will find it easier to follow and trust the Lord during the especially tough times. a personal experience, so be careful not to fall into any urge to show off by it or gloat. Sometimes it happpens, just remember that you're building a closer and more Personal relationship with God.

I hope I helped.:eek:

While I feel that you will be blessed by giving up hobbies or activities, there is nothing Biblical about that, so I would not consider that fasting IMO. It's a GREAT idea, and you will grow and be blessed by it, but food fasting requires you to truly rely on God to sustain you. It's an expression of faith. Every time I tried "fasting" entertainment, I ultimately just gave up the activity entirely, or at least, never really went back to it the way I was before.

There are a number of ways of Biblically fasting, but I find it's best to prepare for a few weeks before trying a long fast. A really good way is by eating cabbage stew for a week or so before starting your fast if you do a full "no food" type fast. Drink a LOT of distilled water before and especially during your fast. Distilled is very important, but fasting will cleanse your body of a lot of impurities, and adding those impurities back with tap water or spring water can be kinda hard on you.

My preferred method is to take a LONG partial fast, followed by a brief full fast. I usually spend 10 days on a small breakfast and modest dinner, then cut the amount of food in half for the next 10 days, then half again for the 3rd 10 days, then water for the last 10 days. You just have to be very careful when you start eating again.

We are in the New but not in the Old Testement anymore. Fasting was practice in the old, so its no more applicable. We are under the new convenant, ie under the grace of Jesus Christ. We don't fast to arm twist God's heart or win favour. It doesn't work that way I'm afraid

Take it from someone who has tried it, done it, and committed to it. God blesses this greatly. You can say it doesn't apply all you want, but I've seen the way God speaks to me, and THAT is what it's about. Not telling God, or twisting His arm, but showing your commitment to hearing HIM speak.

We are in the New but not in the Old Testement anymore. Fasting was practice in the old, so its no more applicable. We are under the new convenant, ie under the grace of Jesus Christ. We don't fast to arm twist God's heart or win favour. It doesn't work that way I'm afraid

Jesus gives instructions on how to fast in the New Testament. To me at least, this means fasting is something Christians are able to participate in and is not “outdated”. Also, I do not think fasting is used "to twist God's heart or win favour".

Matthew 6:16-18 (NKJV)
16 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

Fasting is a choice. It is between you and God. It is a special time when you put other things aside and focus solely on God and His will for your life. There is no right or wrong way to do. There is no specific length of time that is required. Again, it is between you and the Lord. If you feel He is leading you to fast, He will let you know how He wants it done.

w ww.ccci.org/growth/growing-closer-to-god/how-to-fast/index.aspx

May this be of help to you

Back