Please report changes

Jeff
If I go to whats new it doesn't go back to the other threads very far. When I go to my profile or someone elses profile and click on postings, it gives some of their posts not all . At the bottom of that page if you click on all threads and also on all contents ( which is probably all their posts) still its only for this month on mine and a few months on some others. I have been here almost a year and some have been here 3 years. There is no way to find all the posts of a person or all the conversations the last year or so without going through every forum section and hunting for them, which is almost impossible to find what we are looking for

It can be quite frustrating digging through posts. I have tried my best to import data much as I can. I think I have hit a point where this is all I can do. Reason is that the new software was not made to be compatible with the old one. They work different at the back-end. So while importing only ones that are similar could be extracted out.

Anyway, I still have the backups. If I can find an expert in future I might be able to solve it.

'Save as draft' feature has been suggested to the developers. We'll have to wait for them to do something.
Html can not be allowed into posts because I read that hackers can put in hack scripts to harm the website and members in it.

Hopefully, the 'save post' can be coded into our software. It would be great if you could also join and comment here. The more the people the more the chance of it being implemented.

Ooh yes, I've been around many forums long enough to know that html in a post is NOT good!! What I meant was after setting up my post in FrontPage (in html) I copied the whole thing into where we write posts and the program tried to change it into BBC - and largely succeeded. But quite understandably there were always some things that the BB Code would mess up - which I'd have to go into the BB Code and fix up.

Jeff, I did join. There's 5 long pages of people who've CLEARLY stated that they want the ability to Save Post. So if they don't do this, then I'd want to give up on them... (Our previous program here was asked and asked to implement Save - but they simply never bothered!)

- BM

Ooh yes, I've been around many forums long enough to know that html in a post is NOT good!! What I meant was after setting up my post in FrontPage (in html) I copied the whole thing into where we write posts and the program tried to change it into BBC - and largely succeeded. But quite understandably there were always some things that the BB Code would mess up - which I'd have to go into the BB Code and fix up.

Jeff, I did join. There's 5 long pages of people who've CLEARLY stated that they want the ability to Save Post. So if they don't do this, then I'd want to give up on them... (Our previous program here was asked and asked to implement Save - but they simply never bothered!)

- BM

Thanks Bondman, I have seen your comment there. Also to everyone who'd like to see more features here in CFS, please also join and post those suggestions at the Xenforo community. Our forum is running on this software now. :)

It can be quite frustrating digging through posts. I have tried my best to import data much as I can. I think I have hit a point where this is all I can do. Reason is that the new software was not made to be compatible with the old one. They work different at the back-end. So while importing only ones that are similar could be extracted out.

Anyway, I still have the backups. If I can find an expert in future I might be able to solve it.

So you're saying all the threads as long as you had this forum, except the more recent we can't find? There's no way to search for something way back if you don't know the title. I've tried and there's several things I can't find.

How about suggesting to them to find a fix so all the forums can get to their other threads? Otherwise anyone who uses them, its like starting the forum all over and forgetting all what was on their sites before.

It can be quite frustrating digging through posts. .

Jeff
Concerning this situation, altho it hardly goes back at all for threads of another person, I did discover this about their posts. If you go to their profile, click at the top on their Postings. then at the bottom of that page click on All Contents; at the bottom of that page click on the highest number you see, then click Find Older posts. Thats alot to go through just to get to the next few days. After that you have to keep clicking the largest number which at times is 5 or 8, and Find Older posts, back and forth, back and forth forever, it seems! . There's got to be a better way to get to those posts.

Could that navigation be cut down some way? If not then perhaps what you could do is, on the page for all contents if there was a drop down box that had the last page listed and with the ability to type the number of the page in it we want to go to. Or at least put alot of numbers all across the bottom of the page. I can't even get back a few months without clicking a dozen times.

Thanks

So you're saying all the threads as long as you had this forum, except the more recent we can't find? There's no way to search for something way back if you don't know the title. I've tried and there's several things I can't find.

How about suggesting to them to find a fix so all the forums can get to their other threads? Otherwise anyone who uses them, its like starting the forum all over and forgetting all what was on their sites before.

All the threads are in the database and the search function should work if we know the titles. Otherwise, we might have to dig through the old threads. I can suggest the developers to fix it but I doubt they would be interested. These import problems generally come with software migration. Reasons are change in database structure etc. We used their import solution and I hired a good tech person to do it. Unfortunately, we had problems importing certain things which weren't supported in the new software. If we had the money, we could have gone further technical and probably solved some issues.

The only solution I can think of is installing the old software at a different location and linking it to the old database and then allowing you access there so you can find those threads and then when you know the titles, you can search them here. It's a long way, but thats what I can think of. :confused:

Jeff
Concerning this situation, altho it hardly goes back at all for threads of another person, I did discover this about their posts. If you go to their profile, click at the top on their Postings. then at the bottom of that page click on All Contents; at the bottom of that page click on the highest number you see, then click Find Older posts. Thats alot to go through just to get to the next few days. After that you have to keep clicking the largest number which at times is 5 or 8, and Find Older posts, back and forth, back and forth forever, it seems! . There's got to be a better way to get to those posts.

Could that navigation be cut down some way? If not then perhaps what you could do is, on the page for all contents if there was a drop down box that had the last page listed and with the ability to type the number of the page in it we want to go to. Or at least put alot of numbers all across the bottom of the page. I can't even get back a few months without clicking a dozen times.

Thanks

Okay, till I find a solution, when you browse through the search pages, look at the address bar and you will see the page number there (http://www.christianforumsite.com/search/xxxx/?page=XX). Change just that page number XX to anything else and Enter. :)

It may be a minor nit, but I miss the old profiles which actually told you something about the person. I used to often refer to them to help me get a sense of who people were and where they were coming from. It helped me get a better sense of how to respond to someone. I always tried to look up newcomers as soon as I could to get some sense of who these new people are. Now all I can usually see is maybe their sex and age. The old profiles gave me an immediate sense of connection even before they posted.

The profile pages helped us to moderate new members. I didn't know the new software didn't support it. I have requested it to the developers here. Comment there to support. :)

Also what about the page loading speed/site speed? We have been running on a good and slightly expensive machine for about a month and a half.

Okay, till I find a solution, when you browse through the search pages, look at the address bar and you will see the page number there (http://www.christianforumsite.com/search/xxxx/?page=XX). Change just that page number XX to anything else and Enter. :)

Sorry, Jeff, I don't quite get how you do this URL. Could you give an example please (I'm ultimately looking for a URL that I can use to take me to the LAST POST of a particular thread).

Thanks!

- BM

If we had the money, we could have gone further technical and probably solved some issues.

The only solution I can think of is installing the old software at a different location and linking it to the old database and then allowing you access there so you can find those threads and then when you know the titles, you can search them here. It's a long way, but thats what I can think of. :confused:

Don't do that. That wouldn't work too good since I doubt most would go to a read only location. Besides who could remember an exact title? If you could do that you may be able to find it in the search. But if you put a few words there 100s of posts come up to dig through

More customizable fields would be nice. A "Donate" check box would be nice also if the person wanted to contribute to our cost to run the site. I would contribute my self :)

Sorry, Jeff, I don't quite get how you do this URL. Could you give an example please (I'm ultimately looking for a URL that I can use to take me to the LAST POST of a particular thread).

Thanks!

- BM

Let's take Inner Room as example. If you are on the first page, on top of the posts and at the bottom, there are links to pages 1(and 5 other pages close to the start page) and 152(152 being the last page). First and last page links are always there. The middle ones are harder to get to.

When you are on a particular page of the inner room, say page 18. Look at the address bar of the browser and you will see this page number at the end of the url: http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/the-inner-room-learn-and-grow-to-maturity-please-read-the-op.9107/page-18 . (See highlighted portion). Change that number to anything you like and you'll get to that page directly from the url.

More customizable fields would be nice. A "Donate" check box would be nice also if the person wanted to contribute to our cost to run the site. I would contribute my self :)

Chili, custom profile fields are being requested here. You can join and comment there too. :)

Paypal won't allow me or anyone without a non-profit status to use the word donate. I have registered a non-profit in India but my Aussie paypal address requires and Australian non-profit entity. So I might to create a new one in Australia or just not use the word donate when receiving payments. May be call it 'faith-seed' or 'gift' (joking). :D I'll probably provide my Paypal email address so members can give directly. I need to find out if I can at-least use a button.

I know what you are saying and that works on some sites, But on this set up it won't work. If I go to anyones profile to look for a certain post, I can't just change the number becuase you have to keep clicking Find Older posts. Its a different set up here. If you just went to where it was page 1 t0 120 that would be different but its not that way. I tried it on 2 different profiles, Just won't work here.

I know what you are saying and that works on some sites, But on this set up it won't work. If I go to anyones profile to look for a certain post, I can't just change the number becuase you have to keep clicking Find Older posts. Its a different set up here. If you just went to where it was page 1 t0 120 that would be different but its not that way. I tried it on 2 different profiles, Just won't work here.

Okay, I'll see how the old site worked. Then I might be able to understand.

If I remember correctly I think you could go to almost any page you wanted. Because when I joined almost a year ago, I went way back to the to beginning of this site to read and catch up on all the posts. You didn't have to constantly go from the biggest page number to find older posts and back and forth several times to find a thread or a posts on a person's profile. At least not that I remember.

If I remember correctly I think you could go to almost any page you wanted. Because when I joined almost a year ago, I went way back to the to beginning of this site to read and catch up on all the posts. You didn't have to constantly go from the biggest page number to find older posts and back and forth several times to find a thread or a posts on a person's profile. At least not that I remember.

I finally got what you meant. Try again. :D

Back