Poetry

Huntingteckel

Inactive
I have been reading Lord of the Rings and I've been in awe of all the poetry in it! Songs, poems, letters. It's amazing and like nothing I've read before. It's got me wanting to get back into reading poetry. When I was in college I was introduced to Edgar Alan Poe, who is probably my favorite writer. I love his Poems and stories. I also really like Robert Frost. I have an Emily Dickinson collection as well.

Does anyone else here enjoy poetry? Are there any Christian poets out there? Let me know!

I do enjoy poetry, both reading it and writing it. Perhaps like you, I love the serendipity of poetry hidden within prose. Finding this area today, I considered adding a little something of my own, but I haven't written anything for years, so I have nothing current. Most of my writings are from a darker, angrier part of my life, but I did also enjoy writing humor.

I wish I had more time to read, but I have to wait for retirement, which I am still putting off.

There is no greater poetry than the Psalms in my view and they go beyond the vain thoughts of men and take a believer into the mind of God.

I do enjoy poetry, both reading it and writing it. Perhaps like you, I love the serendipity of poetry hidden within prose. Finding this area today, I considered adding a little something of my own, but I haven't written anything for years, so I have nothing current. Most of my writings are from a darker, angrier part of my life, but I did also enjoy writing humor.

I wish I had more time to read, but I have to wait for retirement, which I am still putting off.

I used to like writing it myself. I don't think I ever wrote anything very good though.
There is no greater poetry than the Psalms in my view and they go beyond the vain thoughts of men and take a believer into the mind of God.

Psalms in English? They are pretty much just short sentences strung together. Poetry can't be translated so all the poetic beauty was taken away. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy reading them, but they don't have the power that I'm sure they had in their original language.

I used to like writing it myself. I don't think I ever wrote anything very good though.

Psalms in English? They are pretty much just short sentences strung together. Poetry can't be translated so all the poetic beauty was taken away. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy reading them, but they don't have the power that I'm sure they had in their original language.
Yea I think to know the Hebrew as it was in the time of David would add the element of harmony to the words ...but read this and consider if anything has ever been so poetic?

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Yea I think to know the Hebrew as it was in the time of David would add the element of harmony to the words ...but read this and consider if anything has ever been so poetic?

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
I always just think of the great loss there was from translation. There is still beauty in it but I can only imagine what they are like in the original language. David wrote a ton of poetry and songs so I imagine he was very good.

I have to admit that I agree with Mitspa. My attempts at reading Hebrew are completely academic and very halting. But I love the psalms as well as other biblical poetry. For me, the fact that G-d reigns over the Writings covers all poetic lacks. In fact, I never thought of them as not beautiful: they just are. They speak to the soul, as all poetry should.

Question: I am not a fan of the KJV (SORRY!) when it comes to study, but I LOVE the KJV when it comes to poetry. For myself, I can sit back and relax, letting the words flow over me.

Admittedly, I have read no other versions merely for their translations of biblical poetry.

My question is have you found the poetry in other versions to be as pleasing as the KJV's? Or more so?

Question: I am not a fan of the KJV (SORRY!) when it comes to study, but I LOVE the KJV when it comes to poetry. For myself, I can sit back and relax, letting the words flow over me.

Admittedly, I have read no other versions merely for their translations of biblical poetry.

My question is have you found the poetry in other versions to be as pleasing as the KJV's? Or more so?
No there is something about the KJV in some of these readings that make it easier for me to digest and remember as to meditate upon it...I know sir Fancis Bacon...aka (shakespear) had a hand in the final reading of the KJV..and sought to do this very thing...so maybe that's what we are seeing?

I think part of the reason that it strikes us as so poetic is because all the thees and thous reminds us of poems we read in school. I like the KJV for that reason too, although I don't really read the translation much.
No there is something about the KJV in some of these readings that make it easier for me to digest and remember as to meditate upon it...I know sir Fancis Bacon...aka (shakespear) had a hand in the final reading of the KJV..and sought to do this very thing...so maybe that's what we are seeing?
That would make sense.

Back