Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I disagree

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Jas 1:13 Let no one being tempted say, I am tempted from God. For God is not tempted by evils, and He tempts no one.
Jas 1:14 But each one is tempted by his lusts, being drawn away and seduced by them.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin. And sin, when it is fully formed, brings forth death.
Jas 1:13 Let no one being tempted say, I am tempted from God. For God is not tempted by evils, and He tempts no one.
Jas 1:14 But each one is tempted by his lusts, being drawn away and seduced by them.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin. And sin, when it is fully formed, brings forth death.

1Pe 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has regenerated us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
1Pe 1:4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled, and unfading, reserved in Heaven for you
1Pe 1:5 by the power of God, having been kept through faith to a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time;
1Pe 1:6 in which you greatly rejoice, yet a little while, if need be, grieving in manifold temptations;
1Pe 1:7 so that the trial of your faith (being much more precious than that of gold that perishes, but being proven through fire) might be found to praise and honor and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,

Hmm...does He test us, or does He simply allow us to be tested?

Actually, from my point of view, we only live on this earth to be tested. To give us more chances to come to Him so none are lost.

Perhaps though basically the same meaning the word tried should be substituted for test:

1Pe 1:6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.

Psa 17:3 Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.

Psa 66:10 For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried.

Psa 105:9 Which covenant he made with Abraham, and his oath unto Isaac;

Jer 12:3 But thou, O LORD, knowest me: thou hast seen me, and tried mine heart toward thee: pull them out like sheep for the slaughter, and prepare them for the day of slaughter.

Dan 12:10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

Zec 13:9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Jas 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

The old testament definiteky shows God doing the trying

2Ch 32:31
H5254
12% naw-saw'
A primitive root; to test; by implication to attempt: - adventure, assay, prove, tempt, try.
---------------
Jdg 7:4
H6884
tsaˆ?raph
tsaw-raf'
A primitive root; to fuse (metal), that is, refine (literally or figuratively): - cast, (re-) fine (-er), founder, goldsmith, melt, pure, purge away, try.
--------------
Job 7:18
H974
"M(0
baˆ?chan
baw-khan'
A primitive root; to test (especially metals); generally and figuratively to investigate: - examine, prove, tempt, try (trial)
Lam 3:40
H2713
(89
chaˆ?qar
khaw-kar'
A primitive root; properly to penetrate; hence to examine intimately: - find out, (make) search (out), seek (out), sound, try.

The New covenant seems to imply that God is doing the trying:

1Co 3:13
G1381
*@64:"´?T
dokimazo¯?
dok-im-ad'-zo
From G1384; to test (literally or figuratively); by implication to approve: - allow, discern, examine, X like, (ap-) prove, try.
Rev 3:10
G3985
B,4D"´?T
peirazo¯?
pi-rad'-zo
From G3984; to test (objectively), that is, endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline: - assay, examine, go about, prove, tempt (-er), try.

In the end we must ach decide what we think the reason is but rest assured either way we will be tried.

1Pe 1:6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

I know I repeating this scripture but I have always thought of it as a key to this subject;though now for a season, if need be.
If it is necessary- necessary for what- perhaps our purification. You make a daimond but putting a plain lump of coal under much heat and pressure.

Temptation, testing.

I believe we are tested. Jesus when He was man was both tested and tempted. He was tested by God and tempted by satan.

The Lord tested individuals---- Abraham, Job, Hezekiah (2 Chon 32:31)---- and nations ( Deut 8:2) Sometimes His testing is severe and painful( 1 Peter 1:7) but it originates in Holy Love.

Until Jesus returns ,satan has freedom to tempt people to sin. He is called the tempter ( Matt 4:3 )and the adversary of Christians. God sometimes uses this tempting to test believers. Satan afflicted Job within limits God imposed., he deceived Eve .

Christians are to be constantly watching for temptation . They can overcome temptation.(1 Cor 10:13 ) Satan tempted Jesus. Temptation is not sin---- sin is to submit.

He may test are faith, but will not feed us with evil fleshly desires of the heart. We may see in certain Bible versions where God tempted Abraham, but here we must search the true meaning of the word.
This link may shed some light or may not.
http://www.tektonics.org/gk/godtempt.html

I did answer the poll question. I do not believe a loving God would bring us to the edge of the cliff just to watch us go over the edge and fail. He knows our weaknesses better than we do, so why would He tell us to treat people one way and then turn around and treat us just the opposite. Sorry I got carried away.

Back