Pondering on Social Media

It has been an observation for awhile now that social media websites were created in order to begin a programming model for voluntary abandonment of personal privacy.
Think of the pages long contract a site like Facebook for example has published at its site. Who reads all those pages before registering? And yet in those pages the applicant is informed everything about them will be sold to anyone who has the money to buy it. Marketing groups, and of course the government, and others.

Meanwhile members are lulled into the idea of self-importance. Because now rather than being fans of some celebrity they're the center of attention for the whole world and those who may happen upon their profile due to keyword hits in search engines. It is they now who have followers. And "likes" become a matter of self-consciousness and affirmation of personal worth.

We know a woman who is addicted to Facebook. She updates and posts about everything she does. "Just took a shower. Oh, I love the new Caress bath and body soap (insert scent name here) that I just got from the store. Wonderful stuff!"
Mundane silly stuff like that. It is her full time occupation because she doesn't work.

Who cares? You're just not that important. And yet, such people believe otherwise. They post personal photos and tag the image. The worst part of Facebook is that if you lose your password or you're locked out because you thought you could remember it after not logging in for some time. FB locks your account.
In order to get back in you have to prove your identity.
How do you do that?
There are a number of ways this is accomplished. They all involve giving personal information. Submit a scanned copy of your state driving license. A copy of a utility bill in your name.

Now, after all these years people are oblivious to what they're compromising in matters of personal information at other sites and in other situations.

Right after 9-11 , we're talking a week or two at most, a media array appeared outside the office of a Texas sheriff. He made news because of his public views about personal privacy and national security and the media was there to get him on the record.
He stated that he believed every home in America should have a surveillance system installed that linked directly to local and federal law enforcement. This would allow activities in the home to be observed so as to prevent the event of future attacks.

Not one reporter challenged this sheriff to set the example by installing these surveillance systems in his personal home. Mores the pity. I remember wishing I was there because I would have dared make that suggestion.

Now, all these years later that sheriffs vision is a reality. Only we're not being surveilled at government expense. We're taking that on ourselves.
"Smart TV's" , which began with Samsung, are able to listen to all that goes on in your home. Samsung said it is so as to market to the consumer who purchased their sets. However, what good is an audio feed without the faces to go with? I believe Samsung can also "watch" what is going on.

We have the Alexa system that is a voice activated control mechanism for your home. It can turn on lights, lock doors, answer questions , etc... However, it also listens in.
This was found out when a woman we know who just lost her mom and got the call about her sudden demise shared with friends what transpired. She was weeping inconsolably in her home over the loss of her mom when her Alexa system sounded out, "It'll be OK." 😱
She said she was so shocked to hear this clear loud voice, the volume overcame her crying and screaming in the privacy of her home, that she froze for a moment confused as to who was speaking. Even when she knew the voice of her Alexa system.

We have Fit-Bit watches now. The U.S military personnel are forbidden from wearing those because they can be hacked so as to track the wearer because the Fit-Bit system tracks the owner and records their activities and even their physiological readings. Heart rate, etc...

And of course there are smart cars. The new models can be controlled by the manufacturer so as to take full control of the vehicle. On-Star has an advertisement out now that shows this. A persons car has been car-jacked. The On-Star operator voice plays in the background as they speak to the car owner informing them of the status of their vehicle. Meanwhile, the commercial shows the car slowly pulling to the shoulder of the road while police pull behind. All that is being controlled by On-Star. They locked the car doors and windows to prevent escape. And slowly decelerated the vehicle so that the police could take the thief into custody.
On-Star can also eavesdrop .

EZ-Pass, that system you can install on your windshield so as to blow through toll booths because you have a payment plan with the state also records your travels and keeps a log.
And lastly, your smart phone. It tracks you, it can listen in, and being the camera and video operate from both sides, can be activated to record you and your activities.

A couple of years ago a guy who murdered someone in cold blood was arrested. His smart phone "pocket dialed" 911 at the precise time he was describing in graphic detail the murder he'd committed.
Right. This guy was a gang member. 911 was not on his speed dial.
However, he was the police #1 suspect. They just didn't have any witnesses willing to come forward.
He's now serving life because he testified against himself in that "butt dial" call to 911.

And it all got underway , the programming to make us willingly surrender our personal privacy, with Social Media.
Now Google tracks your phone and is in contract with the government to commit to surveillance of users. And they have an eternal cookie that installs on your computer. It can never be removed even with clearing cache or browsing history. The only way to clear is to revert the hard drive to factory condition. And then never use Google again. But Google is the source for most search engines. Even Duck Duck Go, which boasts it doesn't track you and values your privacy.

Smart phones are programmed to make the user addicted to the phone itself. Ever seen those people who act as if their phone is an additional appendage ? They never put it down. How many here have had people walk right in front of them in a parking lot because that person is looking at their phone?
In one country the government has installed recessed lighting in pedestrian crosswalks. This is so that people on their phones can see where they're going when they cross a street.
Really.

Young kids that have smart phones are suffering physiological disabilities due to their constant use. The muscles in their necks stretched for prolonged periods as they look down at their phones for hours make holding their head upright so as to pay attention in class difficult.

One nation under surveillance and happily surrendering personal privacy. That Texas sheriff wanted that to happen in the name of national security. Now it is happening in the name of social media and communications convenience.

Sorry for the novelette wall of post. It is just that our problems now began with social media. Which doesn't advocate free speech, as we learn when we hear of the prejudice Twitter as example demonstrates when it blocks certain open content due to religious values or conservative political views.

You are correct and there was a book written back in 1947 by George Orwell who gave the warning...……
" of the rise of totalitarian police states that will ‘say that two and two are five".

It has been an observation for awhile now that social media websites were created in order to begin a programming model for voluntary abandonment of personal privacy. It is just that our problems now began with social media. Which doesn't advocate free speech, as we learn when we hear of the prejudice Twitter as example demonstrates when it blocks certain open content due to religious values or conservative political views.

Hello QuintessenceOfDust;

What you shared is very interesting and I feel its good that you are aware of the ongoings of the social media companies. May I ask, what prayerful solutions do you provide for the social media's negative disposition in these times?

Now, we (my wife and I) don't put alot of stock in the outcome of electronics and social media companies, but within the confines of our family we pray and do our best to protect the securities of everything the Lord has blessed us with, including the guard of our tongues and hearts when using these medias to communicate with others.

My wife and I have adapted to the times of electronics and social media, however, in our marriage, life and ministry have found ourselves more engaged in "live" testimony.

For example, we like to dine out with friends or just the two of us, and enjoy face to face "conversation". Our cell phones (calls and text) are put aside for later, but will glance for a second in case its an emergency.

During worship service the power point (electronics) politely asks members to put their cells on vibrate or turn off. But I understand during my sermon those who use their phones will pull up their Bible app. Some members will quietly walk out if they absolutely have to take a call and again, I do understand and will continue giving the message.

I know people who have day to day serious issues with electronics and social media. They confess it keeps them up at night worrying about a derogatory remark someone made to or about them, publicly. They're trying to come up with a comeback. It's easy to say, "just ignore them." But they can't because intense egos or pride are exposed. This is a problem.

Their personal peace is hindered so I pray with them and if they're not a believer, surprisingly, they let me pray for them. Then I'll follow up in a week or so and ask how they're feeling. Its a praise to God when they learn to let it go. Others can't because of this fixation to get logged on and continue to confront what others say to or about them.

When I try to reason with someone (Biblically) for whatever reason and if their response doesn't allow me to admit when I'm wrong, diffuse a confrontation or arrive at a reconciliation, God empowers me to love them and let them go. I'm at peace with myself, with the hope we can cross paths again one day, whether live - in person, electronic or social media and still love them.
I'm still ministering to those, "why do you allow humans to take the place of God and worry what they think or say of you, when God who is capable of loving you so much more and higher, shouldn't we be more concerned about what He says or thinks?" The ones who get this becomes an opportunity to witness to them. The ones who don't become an opportunity to continue praying for them.

I'm a face to face, talk to talk kind of person and my energies are used in many different things to overcome negative vibes. But at the same time I want to accept the ways of the world in these times, including electronics and social media.

Thank you for your post, QuintessenceOfDust.

God bless you and your family.

May be anti-social was too strong. It has probably made us less social. I think this goes with any technology or innovation. These things are supposed to make our lives easy. But doing them the difficult way had its own advantages. For example, transportation. Without that everyone was just walking. Now we just hop in a car. It is very convenient and easy. But the physical part had its advantage. We go everywhere in car and run in treadmill to get that exercise!
Same goes with social media. It is supposed to make communication between people easier. But it actually makes us less social. And there is a bigger agenda with these social media things. They are more of propaganda tools which comes with certain benefits. That's the way I look at it

I think anti-social sounded about right because I nodded yes when I read that lol but it's sad because this really strikes a nerve with me. Ever since my divorce I've noticed social media and noticed how it's changed my friends that I know and have known for years. I've made friends on social media only to find out what they were really about and it's kept me in solitude. I feel like I have to isolate myself from most of my friends and people I've met because I can't relate to them in any way when all they talk about is how they cheat on their spouse on instagram or snap chat and how many of them have multiple accounts on facebook just to spy on their significant other or try and hack into their best friends account to see if they were really lying about that one big rumor or so on and so forth.. it's too much drama and it's the kind of thing that I can't stress out about but I feel like they are not honest with themselves and portray this character they made up just to get more likes or to feel accepted.. and I can't seem to understand it and it breaks my heart that I've had to see this all around me and I feel like an outcast.. and wish I could go back in time when it was just aol lol or even myspace.. where social media still existed but people interacted by playing ball outside or at the park or actually meeting up and doing fun activities and showing interest in one another instead of together in a room or out to dinner but faces glued to the phones and not really having conversations together but rather on their phones while they are on messenger or whats app.. ugh .. it's scary how life has changed and I can't be the only one that recognizes it. I don't like it! Maybe it's effected my life that bad or maybe I'm still having a difficult time adjusting to life as a divorced man because I didn't have this problem back when I was married. I hardly spent time on social media. I was always doing something with my ex wife and we were going on missions trips together or doing something with our church if they had cool events and times were a lot more simple and life was beautiful.. life was so beautiful back then when I thought I had everything I wanted. Anyways.. that's all I've got for today lol sorry.. just needed to vent I guess

Social media...

Just all new ways of spreading the Word I guess.

Facebook. Twitter. Reddit, Pinterest. tumblr, whatsapp, email.

Am Just looking at the share buttons at the bottom of this forum.

Social media pretty much has made us anti-social! Instead of visiting people and talking with them, we can just send a message in WhatsApp. While convenient, it has removed "emotions" part out. And in social media, people are who they want to be and not who they are. And it has also become a platfor for propaganda. Not just politicians. All sort of propagandas fly through social media and has a large impact. It does have lot of positives though. It has become the new normal and it is not going away.

I think anti-social sounded about right because I nodded yes when I read that lol but it's sad because this really strikes a nerve with me.

Hello QuintessenceOfDust; What you shared is very interesting and I feel its good that you are aware of the ongoings of the social media companies. May I ask, what prayerful solutions do you provide for the social media's negative disposition in these times?

Social media...Just all new ways of spreading the Word I guess. Facebook. Twitter. Reddit, Pinterest. tumblr, whatsapp, email. Am Just looking at the share buttons at the bottom of this forum.

Hello Ravindran, Godiswithme1922, QuintessenceOfDust and Lanolin;

I feel everyone has contributed some very good points in this topic. We have to have a disciple attitude of social media. Lanolin puts it in perspective when she writes "its all a new way of spreading the Word."

Whether we are using our electronics and the internet, it all belongs to God and these are just unlimited ways God works to enable us to reach out to the unreached. The question is, what and how are we using what He empowers us to reach others for Christ? No doubt, 5, 10, or 30 years from now there will be new ways to spread the Gospel and, (sounding pessimistic,) there will be the bad guys in the future who will use our face to face and social media to do evil.

So starting with ourselves, our families, churches, communities, work and at Christian Forum Site, how are we to use what is available to us to turn social media and our relationships from a negative to a positive for God's glory?

In Luke 6:45 Jesus taught about the fruit in our lives, 45 The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Social media and our face to face with like believers and the unreached involves our speech, actions, the way we listen, read a post. Do we receive or are we reactive? What is our arriving underlying motive or attitude that will have an impact in our witness?

Others can easily see our impression whether we are being deceptive or if our light of Jesus is coming from within us, which is what Jesus teaches.

Can we ask God to help us be more forward thinking for His glory?

God bless you all and your families.

Well, what if we shared some of these threads on one of the social media sites below if we belong to them. As an experiment!
But it would need to be a relevant, positive thread. It could be a fun thread. Then more people might join up to christian forums or see the spiritual conversations we have and be curious about them and want to particpate.

Forums are a better way to engage people in deeper conversation than facebook I find.
I know theres christian groups already on facebook, but I dont belong to many.

Another thing about social media thats positive is it lessens the distance between people, I remember the days before when a long distance phone call cost a lot of money!! Nowadays you can have chats and calls with lots of people from all over the world, on different timezones, and its not costing hardly anything.

Churches have been rather quite slow to cotton on to power of social media to reach out. I mean entire sermons can be transmitted via podcast, free, it dosnt have to be a super video production. Bibles can be recorded and downloaded and shared.

With social media, just be yourself, and if you friends with anyone whos got something to hide, or lying, its best to drop that connection, the same as in your everyday life. Bad company corrupts good. I dont think we can blame social media for this but its really up to us who we let into our lives and who we choose to hang out with.

At one time houses had porches and air conditioning had not been invented yet. In the evenings some families would sit on their porch while other families would stroll around the neighborhood. That was the primary method of social contact and everybody in a neighborhood knew everybody else in the neighborhood by face-to-face contact.

Then radio was invented. Radios were kept inside, not on porches, and the good programs were aired in the evenings. The immediate result was that families stayed inside and contact with neighbors dwindled. Some people were more familiar with their president and his fireside chats that with the people next door. The long term result was that houses were no longer built with porches. "Home theater" and "cocooning" replaced the porch.

Before cars were invented a child grew up surrounded by cousins and uncles. Industrialists lobbied legislatures to build roads at public expense so they could have a mobile work force, able to travel to wherever their services were needed. Families thought that was exciting and they split up without a peep. Soon it was normal for a child to grow up without knowing the extended family except for an annual visit to grandparents.

And now you lament that kids don't play outside? I hear stories of parents being arrested for allowing their children to walk home from school. The last time I was aware of children playing outside was in the 1950s. I would say your luddite concerns are about 150 years too late.

I dont know about air con its more when its raining people dont like being outside.
But I worked outside all year last year and didnt really bother me. I reckon its lack of gardens.

I really wish that churches would have more outdoor services in the summer. Why are we cooped up indoors when we could be outside in the fresh air, and seeing the glory of Gods creation, seeing the clouds and the birds in the trees? We could sit on the grass, the preacher preach his/her sermon, and everyone passing by would hear it and you wouldnt need to go inside a church and feel awkward cos all the pews are taken. No need for smoke and light show either.

I dont know about air con its more when its raining people dont like being outside. But I worked outside all year last year and didnt really bother me. I reckon its lack of gardens. I really wish that churches would have more outdoor services in the summer. Why are we cooped up indoors when we could be outside in the fresh air, and seeing the glory of Gods creation, seeing the clouds and the birds in the trees? We could sit on the grass, the preacher preach his/her sermon, and everyone passing by would hear it and you wouldnt need to go inside a church and feel awkward cos all the pews are taken. No need for smoke and light show either.

Hi Lanolin;

You gave me a good idea. One of our church couples has a beautiful patio deck that would be ideal for a gathering on a nice day. At least it would fit our Bible study group. On the other side of their backyard fence are about 15 to 20 homes that could hear and come over and join the group.

I have a good friend whose church meets in the park every Sunday up in Sacramento, California. They don't have a mortgage or rent expense. Their gathering is exactly what you described. They also have a barbeque going after every service and attract a lot of people walking by or sitting on the park benches.

I have a question. When you say, "no need for smoke," do some churches have smoke for stage effect?

God bless you, Lanolin.

Hi Lanolin;

You gave me a good idea. One of our church couples has a beautiful patio deck that would be ideal for a gathering on a nice day. At least it would fit our Bible study group. On the other side of their backyard fence are about 15 to 20 homes that could hear and come over and join the group.

I have a good friend whose church meets in the park every Sunday up in Sacramento, California. They don't have a mortgage or rent expense. Their gathering is exactly what you described. They also have a barbeque going after every service and attract a lot of people walking by or sitting on the park benches.

I have a question. When you say, "no need for smoke," do some churches have smoke for stage effect?

God bless you, Lanolin.
Some churches have like a light show and smoke effect cos they are held in huge dark auditoriums and its like designed to be filmed for tv. The praise band is like a rock concert. The first time I went to one, it was like going to a rock concert, and Im not really a fan of rock music. But Ive gotten used to that style now cos it seems to be really popular in churches, especially among the younger crowd. Even though Im not even that old.

I much prefer simple worship though with maybe just piano or guitar.

Back